[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do de facto colonies still exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: decolonization.png (71 KB, 368x551) Image search: [Google]
decolonization.png
71 KB, 368x551
do de facto colonies still exist?
>>
You look at the equity, social mobility, and legal rights in Latin America between the indigineous people and the upper class and you tell me.
>>
>>293742
Read Lenin and Hilferding on Imperialism. Then read Wallerstein on World Systems. Then make an actually useful thread on the topic.
>>
Also, the effects of colonization are losing their grip everyday, but it's still a long way to go. Cant wait till Mayan culture becomes fully revived and the people independent and modernized within the next century.
>>
>>293848
tldr me on that.
>>
Doesn't France still take a lot of military actions in Africa to secure resources as if they still controlled them as colonies?
>>
>>293878
They do that to keep the region stable. It benefits everyone. They're the only ones that still give a damn about preserving some peace in their old colonies.
>>
>>293878
thats what im asking

i got greeted with /lit/ tier shit
>>
France still runs a de facto colonial empire in Africa.

Russia also still has similar relationships with some of its former Soviet republics.

America used to as well especially in Latin America, but not really anymore except maybe the Philippines.
>>
>>293889
Wallerstein's system theory is pretty crucial to an understanding of what you're asking.
>>
>>293894
>France still runs a de facto colonial empire in Africa.
Based on what? just trade?
>>
>>293908
They have a military presence in over a dozen countries, they intervene militarily when there's instability, the local leaders are French backed, French companies have exclusive or privileged access to resources and markets, all those countries still use African franc as currency which is pegged to the French franc (now the euro)...
>>
>>293925
what are the specific companies/organizations that are doing this? i want to read about it
>>
>>293894
>Russia also still has similar relationships with some of its former Soviet republics.

Not to mention that half of the nation is still basically a badly tamed colony, there's just no ocean to separate it from the metropoli, just miles and miles of frozen land.
>>
>>293870
You're asking a stupid question obviously based on de jure, not de facto relations. Always look for the substantive, not the formal relations. Imperialism is a method of extraction of surplus value, rather than a formal exertion of sovereignty.

>>293889
Given your fucking ignorance, that's exactly why you were greeted with meaningful education. Read the fucking sticky before posting again.
>>
>>293939
>You're asking a stupid question obviously based on de jure, not de facto relations
muh semantics

you know what i meant, you're ego is just too big for you not to take advantage of the situation to show of your smart self
>>
>>293931
The biggest players are Bouygues (construction, telecommunation, other infrastructure), Bolloré (energy, plantations, various industries), Total (oil), and Areva (nuclear power).
>>
>>293955
damn thanks man
>>
>>293949
>You're just trying too hard to answer my question!
>>
>>293931
>>293955
Not to mention all the usual like Carrefour of course, all large companies you'll see represented there will be French.
>>
>>293949
>can't speak basic english
>can't even make a single well written post
>"m-muh semanthics guise!!1"
you're funny
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.