[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is it and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
168 KB, 1920x1080
Which is it and why?
>>
>>29276
Depends on the particular brand of language-games you subscribe to or have been raised to adopt
>>
C.E and B.C.E exist solely to appease non-Semitic religions.
>>
>>29276
Ce and bce because the unnecessary Christianization of history is stupid
>>
in Poland we call it p.n.e and n.e which means Before Our Era and Our Era
>>
>>29276
Since we're not sure when the nativity actually happened, my autism tingles when B.C. is used. Nothing to do with euphoria, really.
>>
>>29403
In Slovenia, it's pr.n.š. (pred našim štetjem - before our count) and n.š. (našega štetja - our count).

Sounds kind of weird when I think about it desu.
>>
>>29365
so a large portion of the planet
>>
>>29441
Almost forgot, we also use pr.Kr. (pred Kristusom - before Christ).
>>
>>29529
Literally irrelevant. It's only important to know the dates it differentiates what it stands for isn't important.

It's literally a term made up to make fedoras happy
>>
>>29276
>Which is it and why?
Neither. They're conventions, all of which are politicised. You might like to start with Focault's genealogy of knowledge, or if you're anglophile with Lakatos.
>>
>>29276
C.E and B.C.E are just renamed A.D and B.C
>>
>>29276
FUCK BC/CE WE GO BACK TO AUC STANDARD NOW

Today is XI-I-MMDCCLXVIII motherfuckers
>>
>>32412
>>32412
>>32412
>>32412
>>32412
>>32412
This.
>>
>>29276
B.C. and A.D.
Because fuck other people, that what it is, that what it shall be, deal with it.
>>
They are literally the same thing.

Fuck off with your potato/potahtoe bullshit.
>>
Who cares. Both are perfectly clear.
/thread
>>
>>29276
Personal preference, but I like this instead >>32412
>>
Grew up with BC and AD. Hearing anything else annoys me.
>>
Common Era is a dumbass name that "covers up" the Christian origin of the yearly count.

I can paint a mailbox green, it's still going to be a British mailbox.

If you want a "neutral" year-counting system then come up with a new one, don't whitewash the most popular one. Is it even necessary?
>>
>>29365
>non-Semitic
Christianity is non-semitic, and jews/mudslimes have different calendars. You are a bloody moron.
>>
>>29382
AD and BC because CE and BCE are retarded and arbitrary. Oh, so the world is divided by the beginning of the common era. And the common era began when Jesus was born?
>>
>>35055
Except we know quite well that Jesus was very likely not born on 0 CE so its arbitrary in either case, CE is at least honest that it just means Christian Era
>>
>>35186
CE being Christian Era is actually a cool idea.

My Grandma and Grandpa still insist AD stands for "After Death", even though that doesn't even make sense since the count starts after Jesus was born, not after he died. Seriously. I tried to explain the "Anno Dominin" thing to them, but they didn't care because it was Latin and Latin=Catholic, which they are not.
>>
B.C. and A.D. because anyone who uses the "common era" bullshit is a progressive retard.
>>
>>29276
AD and BC, saying 'common era' is presuming that the Christian calendar is more common than it actually is. fuck that PC bullshit tb.h
>>
>>33397
>Christianity is non-semitic
Jesus was a jew and so were his disciples.
>different calendars
They don't have an irrational hate towards Jesus, even the jews consider him just another Rabbi.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.