[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Chinese ever establish any colonies? What were they like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 89166.jpg (52 KB, 337x428) Image search: [Google]
89166.jpg
52 KB, 337x428
Did the Chinese ever establish any colonies? What were they like?
>>
>>291211

How are you defining a "Colony"?

I mean, for instance, a lot of what's now Southest China, Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangdong provinces, had waves of Han settlers coming in in the 3rd-6th centuries, and either eliminating or displacing the natives.

Does that count as colonization, or is that an extension of "China"?
>>
Not really unless you count the first Han settlers in Taiwan
>>
>>291232
>>291241
Those seem like colonization to me. The migrations southward remind me of Russia's expansion east.

I was thinking more along the lines of overseas colonies, like a counterpart to the European colonies.
>>
>>291211
Not colonies, but a ton went to Southeast Asia (mostly Cantonese or Hokkien) and became caricatures of Jews. To this day, most businesses and industry in SE Asia are operated and owned by Chinese. I've read some crazy statistic showing that in the Phillipines or some SE Asian country, ethnic Chinese who are like 3% of the population own 90% of the wealth.
>>
>>291389
Malaysia.

And they're not 3% but 15%.
>>
>>291389
much more overt about it desu and they have a weird complex about it over there.
>>
>>291211
They're establishing them right now in Xinjiang, Tibet and the Spratley Islands.
>>
File: Philippines-richest.jpg (75 KB, 981x402) Image search: [Google]
Philippines-richest.jpg
75 KB, 981x402
>>291389
Here's the top 10 richest flips. Only 1 is non-Chinese (A Spic).
>>
File: Boxer Codex-408.jpg (153 KB, 450x632) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-408.jpg
153 KB, 450x632
>>291269
>I was thinking more along the lines of overseas colonies, like a counterpart to the European colonies.
Nothing official. Commercial Private Colonies? Yes. As in trade posts set up by private Chinese merchants.

During the Empire days, Chinese would settle among locals in South/Southeast Asia so they can have a foot in the door of maritime trade (even during 25 year Ming Ban on Sea Trade)

Since there were little to no states in the islands of SEA, there was a lot of free space for the Chinese to set up trade posts and a lot of willing locals to sell them shit. In the Philippines for example, tribes traded tortoise shells, pearls, birds-nest soup, and slaves captured in wars in exchange for steel ingots, silk, and later on: guns.

So much so that in the Philippines, the Spanish word for Chinese settlers there was "Sangley." From the Fukien word for "Trader."

Another form of unofficial colony would be pirate bases. Again the Philippines (which was the tortuga of SEA really) played host to fortresses along rivers from where Chinese pirate fleets can launch raids. Another interesting factoid is that Japanese pirate fleets are often allied with Chinese pirate fleets via intermarriage. Meaning Japs also parked their asses in the Philippines.

All that ended when Spain colonized the place and drove em off. Although not without almost losing the place themselves to Chinese pirate-kings.
>>
>>291876
and Africa.
>>
>>291975
That's more like a protectorate really. But give it a few decades.
>>
>>291982
>inb4 chinese Rhodesia
>>
>>291987
>inb4 future Chinese yellow guilt
>>
>>291993
>inb4 #uighurlivesmatter #tibetanlivesmatter #rememberHK
>>
>>291211
>>291389
China invaded Vietnam like 10 times and a number of dynasties such as the Ming were successful in making Vietnam into a subjugate imperial state.
>>
>>291898
Tell me ethnic %'s of the richest folk.
>>
>no one's mentioned Tibet or Xinjiang
>>
>>291232
Chinese migrants of the Southern dynasties settled amongst large population centers(lower Yangtze),while Sinicization of populations further south would occur during the Tang.

Regional Chinese vernaculars/identities of the period would fall into a Han(central/northern China),Wu(Jiangnan),Chu(Huainan/Huaibei),Xi(southern Jiangxi/Hunan),groups further south were lumped into various Li,Liao,Man,Yue etc. categories.
>>
>>291898
look like phillipinos to me desu, they would be like fish out of water if they ever went to china or taiwan

t. chinaman
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.