[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the best historical period to live in in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: wild-west.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
wild-west.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
What would be the best historical period to live in in America?

I would've liked to live in the Wild West.

>Looking for something to do
>Decide to go to your local saloon
>Grab your holster and Smith & Wesson just in case anyone tries to fuck with you
>Put on your long coat
>Ride your horse to the local saloon
>Have a couple shots, start feeling a nice buzz
>Decide that some hairy pussy sounds nice
>Luckily there are prostitutes there
>Count your money and go downstairs with her

Damn, this period of time sounds bad ass.
>>
pre-columbus
>>
>>290276
Wow, cars sure were advanced in the wild west.
>>
>>290276
I'm sure life was hell in the wild west compared to present day but I'm with you on that one.

Tho I'd want to devote my life being a farmer, living off the land and driving away those pesky redskin bastards.
>>
>>290276
>lack of any kind of decent medical care

NO historical period is fun to live in.
>>
File: Buffalo_Bill.jpg (2 MB, 1465x2157) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo_Bill.jpg
2 MB, 1465x2157
>>290430
>lack of any kind of decent medical care

No different to present day USA
>>
>>290276
Yeah, this would be exactly like you would live

I want to live in medieval
>Be my noble knight self
>Looking for something to do
>Invited to joust in a tournament
>Beat all the France's best knights
>Earn thousands of florins and a night with the kings daughter
>Suddenly muslims attack holy land
>Go on a crusade
>Conquer Jerusalem back on my own
>Get famous all across Europe
>All the kings want to have blood ties with me
>Jews declare me their mesiah and give all my money to me
>Pope admits i'm better than Jesus
>I become emperor of Europe
>>
dont forget
>get the herp and syphilis from the whore
>get a small scratch on leg one day
>next week you are dead or they have removed your leg

yea sounds like a good time.
>>
>>290276
80's
>god tier music
>drugs
>hairy bushes and curly hair
>>
>>290451
>>>/trash/
>>
Being a millionaire in the age of Rockefeller and Carnegie would have been amazing

The golden age of capitalism. Now look what we have today.

What a fucking disaster
>>
>>290451
You sound really autist to be honest
>>
Back in the 40s when the American dream was still alive, everyone got along and women and minorities knew their place
>>
>>290463
>>290491
>what is irony
People with this "i wanna live in X age" don't realize they would have 50% chance of dying in their first year of life. What OP presented was literally life of 5%. Just because something looks cool in movies doesn't mean its actually cool.
>>
>>290451
I'm not a studied man but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a thing concidered "Medieval America"
>>
>>290473
I would have liked to see NYC in its heyday before mass white flight/gentrification/whatever else bullshit.
>>
>>290509
I wanna live usually means they live past the first year. It's a fantasy, best case scenario too, loosen your butthole.
>>
>>290276

Probably Aztec culture

>looking for something to do
>decide to go to your local temple
>grab my obsidian mace just in case anyone tries to fuck with you
>put on my skin tight eagle suit
>walk on my lean two legs to the local temple
>sacrifice a captive tlaxcalan maiden, start feeling an erect monolith
>decide that some hairy armpits sounds nice
>luckily there are slaves here
>club slave maiden over her head and fuck her in the ass cause Quetzocoatl only accepts virgin sacrifices

Damn, this period sounds bad ass.
>>
>>290526
He wants to live as the 5% in Wild West USA because he is part of 95% in nowadays USA and his life is boring as fuck so he wants to have a cool and adventurous life like those guys in movies.

I'm not against the fantasy, but this board is about history, we should stick to it, not base our imaginary scenarios on Hollywood movies.
>>
>>290509
The abortion rate is much higher today, though.
>>
>>290576
God fucking damnit, i wish Americans would get banned from this board.
>>
>>290520
I mean, North America did exist during Medieval times but there wasn't much going on.
>>
>>290583
I'm saying bringing up infant mortality when someone says they want to live in x period is just really silly. "You'd probably die as a baby!" Yes, well the chances of the sperm with your name on it making it are even slimmer. People are obviously talking about making it past the bottle neck of the age.
>>
>>290276
>No workers protections of any sort
>No modern medicine
>Higher crime rates
>Higher poverty rates
>Lower standard of living across the board

The present day is by far the easiest time to be born in the West. The ones who romanticize the past most likely never lived it. >>290509 this so much.

>>290576
Not really, abortion was performed illegally and was extreamly dangerous. Thousands of people died yearly due to botched abortion procedures.
>>
>>290493
Wait are you actually serious?

Do Americans really not know how good they have it now in comparison
>>
>>290593
Even if you would actually live to reach 15 years of age, you would be bound to do the job your father did, working hard on farm all day long, picking one of those two ugly retarded girls in your inbred village just so you can work even harder to feed 5 of your children that survived, and in the end be killed by random pack of indians or raiders, with your life being nothing but hard work that came to waste when they burned down your entire village.
>>
>>290628
The 40s and 50s were actually really good economically.
>>
>>290628
It was a simpler time when education and class were respected and whites didn't have to pretend not to hate lesser races.
>>
>>290659
Why should I respect someone who's daddy had more money than mine?
>>
>>290630
There were countless occupations besides farming, and the idea that you'd probably be killed is a load of nonsense. You probably face a higher chance of being killed in a car accident than being killed in the old west.
>>
>>290654
Economically as in it was the rise of the White collar worker being the norm, while industries were being slowly gutted and replaced, then yes they were good. Politically and socially they were mired with problems.
>>290659
Simpler as in they had no regular access to news that we do today. People were far more ignorant about the world around them outside of their tiny community. Education was respected among the new middle class, outside that it was the same as it had always been.

People romanticizing the 50's are often quick to ignore its failings.
>>
>>290688
Okay so not killed, so you would die of common cold, or they would have to cut off your both arms because of infection, or you would get die from wolves...
There were lots of way to die. Just consider the fact that median age in 1800 was 15 years.
>>
>>290723
But the West suffered far less than urbanization, which was the major source of health hazards.
>>
>>290723
>Okay so not killed, so you would die of common cold, or they would have to cut off your both arms because of infection, or you would get die from wolves...
>mfw this is what people actually believe

There were plenty of people who lived very interesting and long lives in that age despite all the hardship. You're not even taking into account, for example, that people's immune systems were generally stronger back in those days due to them having to put up with so much disease and dirt compared to modern times.
>>
Define best. The modern era is the most peaceful/healthy/safe/happy/etc period in human history.
>>
>>290423
Is that Kurt Russell below on the right?
>>
>>291164
>happy

I beg to differ. Modern life is dull, materialistic, 1-dimensional, and inauthentic.
>>
>>290493
>Minorities knew their place

Like the Irish, Germans , Jews and everyone else who wasn't anglo Saxon.
>>
>>291199
Trust me try living in a state that doesn't have the conveniences of modern life and you'll come back begging for it.
>>
>>291174
>watching THIS much Tombstone
It's Butch Cassidy

>>291199
Yes, but when you blame society for that, you're playing modern life's game.
>>
>>291247
I dunno, I think it would be pretty nice if people not only didn't have cellphones, but didn't even have phones, and you just got mail.

You'd miss a lot of things, but simpler things would have more meaning because they'd be more likely to be gifts or homemade or distributed by your community. We have access to way more and better stuff, but the problem is there is no significance to it. It's sort of like saying having sex with a hundred different hot women is far more preferable than just monogamy with one decent looking woman for the rest of your life...and a materialist sense, that's absolutely true, but in a spiritual sense, perhaps it's not.
>>
>>291247
I already do this to an extent and I don't miss any of the "conveniences" that I've given up so far.
>>
Someone's been watching too many movies
>>
>>290276
>believing the myth of the Wild West

The most hardcore cowtowns and mining camps were usually tame by even modern standards.
>>
>be me
>26th century
>humanity at war with aliens
>time machine
>go to wild west
>still have my mega-badass-assault rifle
>bandits walk in saloon
>wants everything everyone has
>takes my mega-badass-assault rifle
>"what in tern-mer-ferkin nation be this shit anon"
>"oh nothing. just my tool given to me by God"
>ohshit.jpg
>everyone thinks im an angel from God
>nobody expects the spanish inquisition
>>
>>290276
If only real life was like Clint Eastwood movies.
>>
>>290276
Wild West had some of the strictest gun control laws of any era in American history. So no, you would not have been able to take your guns to town.

And you'd better hope your town wasn't a super-religious one, or there wouldn't be a saloon. Temperance movement was running hard back then.
>>
To be born a boomer is truly the greatest achievement of an american.
>>
>be prostitute
>another dirty miner comes with too little money to really be worth the fuck
>do anyway because the month's slow
>in fact everything is slow
>I miss mom that bitch
>oh dear he passed out drunk
>>
>>290276
you forgot

>Die at age 25 from syphilis
>>
>>290276
You can do literally all of that except ride a horse now.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.