[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>CE >BCE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: Untitled.jpg (44 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
44 KB, 277x296
>CE
>BCE
>>
Who BC-CE masterrace here?
>>
>>289464
>Before Christianity/Christian Era
>Before Christ/Christian Era
>Before Christ/Common Era

Be more specific pls.
>>
>>289419
>Before Christ
>Anno Domini

I don't know how far political correctness can go to change the fucking calendar.

In french it is "Avant Jésus-Christ" and "Après Jésus-Christ" and no one gives a damn, not even muslims or jews.
>>
File: >Atheists.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
>Atheists.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
>>
>>289610
Asspaniard here. We say "Antes de Cristo" and "Después de Cristo" (AC and DC). Literally no problem because only the edgiest atheists believe Jesus didn't exist, and for muslims is actually an important part of their religion. Nobody cares about jews but I suppose they're ok with it too.
>>
I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of swapping BC/AD for a different system (assuming that it could somehow be done without confusion and such) but I really don't see any point in just changing the letters when the dates are still based on Jesus.
>>
>Muslims have only come to the year 1437
This explains a lot.
>>
My language uses the terms "After Christ" and "Before Christ" which means there is no year of Christ, but a "year zero".

We should use Anno Domino (Year of our Lord), which means Jesus is born in year one of our lord, and that 1 BC is the year before Christ.
>>
>>289662
This
>>
>>289419
Jesus is not my Lord therefore I will not say "in the year of the Lord"
>>
>>289762
Why the fuck not? Are you that much of a fucking edgelord to actually undergo historical revisionism just because a notation does not apply to you?

I can't believe the Western world managed to churn out fucks so egoistic like you.

Even if you change the letters, the numbering of years is still based upon Christ's birth, so you haven't actually done anything,
>>
>>289782
not him but most scholars agree he was probably born around 4 BC anyway, so it's wrong either way.

in any case who fucking cares, stop getting mad about nothing.
>>
>>289813
>stop getting mad about nothing.

Then why are you trying to change the notation?
>>
>>289782
It's not a matter of historical revisionism. I live in a Christian culture so I use the Christian date notations but I am not a Christian so I will not implicitly recognize Jesus as Lord. That would be blasphemous.
>>
>>289825
i'm not, i don't care either way. but don't get mad when someone wants to replace them with more generalized acronyms.
>>
File: 1443541971325.jpg (540 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1443541971325.jpg
540 KB, 1680x1050
>>289825
BECAUSE IT'S 2015 GAH!
>>
>>289831
It's just a fucking notation, you're not actually making fun of Jesus.

>>289833
>It's okay when my side gets butthurt about useless shit but when you do it's bad okay
>>
File: 1437290734075.jpg (32 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
1437290734075.jpg
32 KB, 500x465
>>289419
>2768
>not using A.U.C
>>
>>289839
keep putting words in my mouth, retard
>>
>>289850
>Don't put words into my mouth

Welcome to 4chan, dear redditor.

That's how greentexting works.
>>
>>289839
>It's just a fucking notation, you're not actually making fun of Jesus
I'm not intending to, but I don't intend to falsely deify him either.
>>289841
this
>>
>>289841
The A.U.C notation differs from the AD/BC notation not only in name but also when years go by.
>>
>>289841
>rome
>relevant for the first 600 years
>>
Saying "common era" is actually more christian-centric than AD to me, because it assumes the birth of jesus had some common significance to non-christian people.
>>
>>289876
>753 BC
>1453 AD

Literally one third of recorded history
>>
>>290140
>Half of that period is taken up by Christian Byzantium
>Christianity has existed for more time than pagan Rome.
>>
You don't see Christians trying to change the names of the days of the week.
>>
File: cup-of-smug.jpg (8 KB, 235x218) Image search: [Google]
cup-of-smug.jpg
8 KB, 235x218
>>289950
It did
>>
>>290184
>All nations use the Norse names

I'm from a romance country and we use latin names for days.
>>
>>290191
I'm not sure what your point is, since objection to Christ-based chronology is also mostly an Anglo thing.
>>
>>290198
Sorry for my shitty grammar, I meant that days here do not have their names derived from pagan gods(Which is why I assume you said that Christians could/should change the days' names but don't).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the name for Sunday here is derived from the Latin name which would literally translate as "God's day"

Sorry for shitty grammar.
>>
>>290184
Actually "Sunday" in Russian is "Bocкpeceньe", literally "Resurrection", and Saturday is "Cyббoтa", from Hebrew Sabbath. So yes, Christians did change the name of the days of the week.
>>
File: 4897645-batman.jpg (426 KB, 3000x2226) Image search: [Google]
4897645-batman.jpg
426 KB, 3000x2226
>>289631
>Jesus existed

If a thousand years from now someone inserts a few words into a history textbook that Batman existed, then people a thousand years after that would have just as much evidence that Batman existed as we have that Jesus existed.
>>
>>290309
Jesus existed and anything said to the contrary is objectively false. Christian records are used by actual historians and there's plenty of non-Christian one as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4q3WlM9rCI
>>
>>289419
This thread again?
You autists are just encouraging me to use the CE and BCE notation tbqh.
>>
>>290309
>>290321
There's also more evidence that Christ existed than any other ancient figure, but you don't how these things actually work do you.
>>
who /lunarcalendar/ here?
>>
It's Anna Dominoes
>>
>>289610
Well Muslims and Jews both believe in Jesus Christ. Muslims say he's a prophet, Jews say he's false but that he still existed.
>>
>>290333
>>290321
A thousand years from now Batman comics could be used by historians too. Doesn't make him real. That's what Christian documents are, hero stories that have some connection to contemporary places and events.
>>
>>290309
Wow you are retarded. He is mentioned by tacitus and josephus among others
>>
>>290428
Did writers of Batman comics actually think he existed?
>>
>>290428
> evolution is true because scientific consensus
> theory of relativity is true because scientific consensus
> Jesus isn't real despite scientific consensus
Make sense. Not really.
>>
>>289782

Not him, but not wanting to apply religious terms to your every day life is understandeable. I do not believe in Christ or anything like that. My native language (Swedish) still use the "before" or "after" christ thing, but "In the name of the lord"? What lord? I don't have a lord?

I think that getting upset over this is really just a sign of insecurity or that you do not understand. Please explain how this makes one "egoistic"...
>>
>>289419
BC and AD aren't even accurate to an estimate of when a possible Jesus might have been born.

It is a completely arbitrary distinction.
>>
>>290468
There is no scientific consensus.

>>290433
>Citing memesephus
The passages in Josephus are generally agreed to have been inserted at a later date. It's too reverential, doesn't fit writing style and context.

And Tacitus has no source, is not contemporary and does not unambiguously mention Christ, given the Chrestus issue.

>>290333
That's very arguable.
>>
File: inigomontoya.jpg (45 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
inigomontoya.jpg
45 KB, 500x420
>>289782
>historical revisionism
>>
>>290508
>generally agreed
>Tacitus has no source

Nope. You're just manipulating the evidence to fit your views. Most scholars in fact agree that Jesus existed
>>
>>289813
>4 BC anyway, so it's wrong either way.
Can you really be someone's lord before your 5 years old anyway though?
>>
>>290185
How?
>>
>>290508
> There is no scientific consensus.
Source: your ass. See >>290321 .
>>
File: iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg (30 KB, 440x288) Image search: [Google]
iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg
30 KB, 440x288
>people thinking jesus didn't exist

he probably wasn't doing miracles and was just some crazy guy at the time , but there's no doubt he existed
>>
>>290567
Bart ehrman simply asserts that there is a scientific consensus.
That's not much of a source.

He is basing his ideas on the basis of the independent attests.
I have yet to see one which is proper.
During the interview I believe he refers to the second relevant passage of Josephus, since he's refering to an Eyewitness account of James?
Which again has its issues and may have been interpolated at a later date due to it disagreeing with Christian tradition concerning James (Date of death for instance is about 8 years apart) and since there's already one faulty passage among other things.
>>
>>289857
>I called him a redditor and used retarded arguments, surely that will show him!
>>
>>289838
Medical marijuana is allowed by the federal government now god bless
>>
>>290553
It united Western Europe and helped them conquer all the non-christian people
>>
File: Ehrman-Did-Jesus-exist.jpg (60 KB, 948x1454) Image search: [Google]
Ehrman-Did-Jesus-exist.jpg
60 KB, 948x1454
>>290643
>I have yet to see one which is proper.
He wrote a book about it which he refutes typical mythicists arguments and presents his. If you're serious about your non-conventional view it should be first on you read list. I mean, you can't say he has an agenda to push - he's self-professed agnostic.
>>
BCE/CE is in fact the only acceptable option that isn't BHE/HE.
>>
File: Maximilien_Robespierre.png (76 KB, 267x333) Image search: [Google]
Maximilien_Robespierre.png
76 KB, 267x333
>224 year of Liberty
>still using 60-minutes hour and 7-days week
>>
File: 1382820416325.jpg (92 KB, 464x787) Image search: [Google]
1382820416325.jpg
92 KB, 464x787
>>290738
Fuck you Robspoophead.
>>
>>290674
There's a difference between "significant to X people" and "historically significant". I refer to the former.
>>
>>290309
>If a thousand years from now someone inserts a few words into a history textbook that Batman existed, then people a thousand years after that would have just as much evidence that Batman existed as we have that Jesus existed.
except if someone did that it wouldnt go unnoticed and educated people would call you out on your bullshit
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.