[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How accurate is this image?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
File: 1448277785065.png (42 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
1448277785065.png
42 KB, 500x539
How accurate is this image?
>>
Archimedes was on the same level as Newton in mathematics.
>>
>scientific advancement

How is this measured?
>>
>preserved by catholics and byzantines instead of muslims
>>
>>289111
>the peak oil meme is still going strong
>>
>>289111
Some knowledge was indeed lost. Such as floor heating systems, for example.
They existed in Roman times, and were common, and then nobody used them for centuries. They had to be rediscovered.
>>
>>289111
Not accurate at all.

During the medieval period medicin improved quite a lot, a woman in labor had a far greater chance at surviving childbirth in 1000 AD compared to 100 AD.

Also: Moldboardplow
Better Sails
Compass
Threadwheels
Tidal mills
Hourglass
Blast Furnace
Liquor
Glasses
Oil paint
wheelbarrow
Buttons
Horizontal Loom
Grindstones
Forest Glass
Soap

Fuck you and your pictures.

Also, why are you comparing Egyptian and not Mesopotamion those guys were way better.
>>
>>289111
wrong
>>
File: An abandoned closter in Belgium.jpg (302 KB, 880x581) Image search: [Google]
An abandoned closter in Belgium.jpg
302 KB, 880x581
>>289155
This is mostly later Medieval Period, not Dark Ages.
The Middle Ages lasted between 450 and 1500, while the Dark Age of Europe lasted between 450 and 1000, give or take.

Also, the Dark Age period only applies to central and western Europe, not to the whole world, and not even to the Eastern Roman Empire.
>>
>>289155
/thread
>>
>>289166
>while the Dark Age of Europe lasted between 450 and 1000,
Until Charlemagne
>>
>>289166
OP's picture makes no distinction of those two so your comment is irrelevant although true
>>
File: An abandoned school in Belgium.jpg (73 KB, 880x586) Image search: [Google]
An abandoned school in Belgium.jpg
73 KB, 880x586
>>289180
OP's picture is a modified version of a Dark Ages picture, which is meta culture on 4chan. Everybody knows it talks about the Dark Ages, and if he meant otherwise he should have stated so.
It even paints the period black, for Dark Age.

>>289178
I dont think urbanization and with it centralization, complexity and scientific advancement came with Charlemagne. That was later.
>>
Scientific development was not high in Rome. They mostly used what the Greeks had done.

>>289166
>Also, the Dark Age period only applies to central and western Europe, not to the whole world, and not even to the Eastern Roman Empire.

This.
The Eastern Roman Empire was the intellectual center of the Roman Empire. China didn't have the Dark Ages.
>>
>>289192
In this picture as in the original picture (what you think I am dumb or someshit and don't know the original?) this supposed 'dark ages' starts at 500 and ends in 1500. That is incorrect. It's also dumb as shit. You are dumb as shit.
>>
>>289192
>I dont think urbanization and with it centralization, complexity and scientific advancement came with Charlemagne
Carolingian Renaissance
And even if that were true none of those things define a "dark age".
A dark age is something with a lack of written sources
>>
>>289111
A load of bullshit.
Wrong on every level.
>>
File: Muh Dark Age.png (2 MB, 1386x4653) Image search: [Google]
Muh Dark Age.png
2 MB, 1386x4653
>>
What would be the Afrocentrist version of this?
Egypt the highest point? Slavery in America the lowest?
>>
>>289209
This only makes my post more relevant and necessary, since I mention thats wrong.
No need to get buttblasted, lad.

>>289210
The Carolingian Renaissance is only called a renaissance because people get mad at the Dark Ages meme, so they made a counter-meme, equally wrong in the opposite direction.
>>
File: Carolus Magnus.jpg (140 KB, 900x1389) Image search: [Google]
Carolus Magnus.jpg
140 KB, 900x1389
>>289217
>The Carolingian Renaissance is only called a renaissance because people get mad at the Dark Ages meme

That's a hot opinion.
>>
>>289217
>The Carolingian Renaissance is only called a renaissance because people get mad at the Dark Ages meme, so they made a counter-meme, equally wrong in the opposite direction.
Read a fucking book
>>
>>289217
I am sorry I thought you were in dissagreement with me.

Have this picture of a town in holland from the 16th century as a token of my humility
>>
>>289111
This graph hurts me. How do they measure "scientific advancement"? Also they way they've divided up time is awful too, since civilisation began before 1000 BCE, and the world didn't just have "Egyptian times", "Greek times", etc. It insinuates that at one point in time the whole world was Egyptians and they made science, then they turned into Greeks and they made more science. It was made by simpletons for simpletons.
>>
>>289111
Gross misunderstanding of peak oil.
Oil doesn't just deplete when peak oil is hit.
>>
>>289111
The map still implies the Romans were 'advancing science' at a faster rate and double that of the Greeks, and that science in 400AD was on the same level as science n 1500AD. It skips over the advancements made in the Middle East and then continued from the 12th century on in Western Europe.
>>
>>289215
>le dark age isn't real guises
What happened to Livy's writings ? How was the majority of Ab Urbe Condita Libri lost ?
How did floor heating systems disapear ?
How did the Colosseum fall to ruins ?
How did writting almost disapear in England ?
How can Gregory of Tours' grammar be so poor ?
etc etc
>>
>>289721
I would love to hear a rebuttal to this post from dark age deniers.
>>
>>289998
Tough luck, I've been waiting for years and it never happens.
>>
>>289721
>>289998
>n-not one replied to me in so l-long now I have to act like s-someone else on this website a-agrees with me
>>
File: shit.png (34 KB, 719x496) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
34 KB, 719x496
>>290089
>i have no rebuttal so i'll just fling shit
>>
>>289721
>What happened to Livy's writings ? How was the majority of Ab Urbe Condita Libri lost ?
Cause most Europe lacks the apropiate climate to make papirus last?
>How did floor heating systems disapear ?
Cause there is a significant change in the mentality of the Roman aristocracy?
>How did the Colosseum fall to ruins ?
Cause there is abandonment process of the monumental areas of the cities through the Low Empire?
>How did writting almost disapear in England ?
Cause the Post Roman Britain suffered a severe collpase of her system hardly comparable with any other place of the Roman World?
>How can Gregory of Tours' grammar be so poor ?
Cause the languages do evolve?
>>
File: PURGE THE HERETIC.jpg (606 KB, 1046x840) Image search: [Google]
PURGE THE HERETIC.jpg
606 KB, 1046x840
>Dark Ages as an actual thing

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Friendly reminder that the Byzantine Empire was using flamethrowers during the so-called European Dark Ages.
>>
>>290188
Friendly reminder that the Dark Ages are about western and central Europe, not all of the world.
You are stupider than the people you wish to mock.
>>
>>290174
You can tl;dr that by saying "Cause Dark Age".
>languages do evolve
They also devolve, as we can clearly see.
>>
>>290475

Sorry but I am not Anglo, so I wont use your labell.
>>
>>290487
Is anglo meant to be an insult?
>>
File: 1447868508188.jpg (768 KB, 1920x996) Image search: [Google]
1447868508188.jpg
768 KB, 1920x996
>>289111
>oil
>>
>>290499

Did you take it as a insult?
>>
>>289111
How spammed is this thread?
>>
>>290538
No, since I am not anglo. However, you used it as an insult. I think you may have problems.
>>
>>290704

Sorry, you were the one who thought that was being insulted.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.