[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If baltic states formed a nation in 12 century (when there were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: ggnore.jpg (51 KB, 452x538) Image search: [Google]
ggnore.jpg
51 KB, 452x538
If baltic states formed a nation in 12 century (when there were just tribes) what could have they accomplished
>>
>>288282
Niggers
>>
A shitty tribal confederacy doomed to be conquered sooner or later.
>>
The Grand Duchy of Lithuania
>>
It would be easier for Germans and Swedes to conquer them.
>>
File: Cheetah-Z.jpg (58 KB, 351x390) Image search: [Google]
Cheetah-Z.jpg
58 KB, 351x390
>>288516
>it would be easier to conquer an united state, under one rule than a bunch of feuding and rivalling clans and tribes
senpai...
>>
>>288533
You only had to conquer single center of power and whole country is yours, like Hastings 1066 and stuff. It faster than subjugating every fucking tribe for 50 years, and you can use existing administrative structures to rule the country.

And I doubt united Baltics would be a problem for Teutonic knights.
>>
>>288547
Given that it took about a 100 or 150 years of conquering with a considerable amount of divide et impera, I can't see the crusaders succeeding against actual states. And Lithuania had a´a single center of power, the Teutons couldn't take it.
>>
>>288547
>And I doubt united Baltics would be a problem for Teutonic knights.
Well judging their's and Livonian order's attempts, they kinda were a "problem"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Durbe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Karuse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saule

Also what >>288563 said, it took the Teutonic order a fair amount of time to finally "force" the Lithuanians to give in Samogitia to them, but then Grunwald happened and they got BTFO by the Poles and Lithuanians.
>>
>>288563
>>288587
Well, Lithuania is an exception.
>>
File: baltic-tribes2-1200.jpg (155 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
baltic-tribes2-1200.jpg
155 KB, 600x400
>>288606
>Well, Lithuania is an exception
But that was literally what the United balt tribes were called.
You said:
>And I doubt united Baltics would be a problem for Teutonic knights.
When the so called "United Baltics" was pretty much Lithuania, which united all of the tribes that were left unconquered by the Teutons and Livonians. Hell, the fucking Teutonic order had trouble beating the Prussians until they got help from the Pomeranian slavs and HRE.
>>
>>288547
You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?
>>
>>288617
>>288630
>You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?
Yeah, well, maybe.
>>
File: King Mindaugas.jpg (64 KB, 330x600) Image search: [Google]
King Mindaugas.jpg
64 KB, 330x600
>>288637
It's okay, the Balts aren't really well known anyway, but we came here to learn more about shit we don't know and discuss about stuff we are more knowledgeable about.
>>
>>288617
So, why Lithuanians expanded into Slav lands instead of uniting Baltic peoples under one banner?
>>
File: vytis.png (226 KB, 2575x2171) Image search: [Google]
vytis.png
226 KB, 2575x2171
>>288655
Because Slavs were easier to take, also Slavs themselves actually took lands from the Balts, and fighting the Teutonic Order would just most likely result in a stalemate or they'd get assfucked themselves, also Lithuanians were on the defensive against the Teutons at this point.
>uniting Baltic peoples under one banner?
Because the Prussians were wiped out completely by the Teutonic Order after an attempted revolt, dunno about the Livonian order and Latvians, they just popped in in 1918 anyway.
>>
File: Algis.jpg (310 KB, 880x1249) Image search: [Google]
Algis.jpg
310 KB, 880x1249
Who's the bestest duke and why is it pic related?
>>
File: 1421355309647.png (243 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1421355309647.png
243 KB, 500x334
>>288282
GDL on steroids.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.