[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Opium Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 285x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 285x177
How and why did China, one of the most advanced civilizations hurr durr, get keked into submission by Britain?
>>
>one of the most advanced civilizations
That's the thing: they were a backwards and undeveloped shithole.
>>
File: Ming_musketeers[1].jpg (52 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
Ming_musketeers[1].jpg
52 KB, 500x501
>>287437

The British should have tried attacking China during Ming dynasty and not the Qing dynasty - the manchus were originally horse nomads and they stalled the development in china.
>>
Britain had far superior war tech.
>>
>>287437
Britian trading was able to get most of china's silver which was what their currency was based off of. When britain got enough through opium and other items, they switched their own currench to a gold standard. This was occuring across western european nations att. This fucked up the chinese economy as a vast portion of it had been linked to british trading. Wars were had. China lost to poor military vs rich military. Consequences of their situation. This is all i remember from my chinese colonization 19th cent course.
>>
>>287478
why is britain such an asshole
>>
>>287437
>get keked into submission by Britain?
You mean keked into opening their markets to Europe?

Last I heard there was no "Viceroy of China" in China and the Brits only ruled bits of Canton and Shanghai.

It took the whole of Europe to subdue China in that regard as well.
>>
>>287437
Centuries of Isolationism and autistic sinocentrism by the Qing dynasty. I mean compare Meiji Japan to how Qing China reacted to the West.
>>
File: 1447545640650.gif (568 KB, 521x479) Image search: [Google]
1447545640650.gif
568 KB, 521x479
>>287485
>opening their markets to Europe

with all the delicious, public health destroying, addictive, opium you can smoke with your peasant farmer buddies

Indians got that dank shit
>>
Barbarian Manchu fucking shits who simply continued later Ming trends of Mandarin-square-on-head retarded isolationism.
>>
>>287437
China was not the most advanced civilization anymore by then. They could have been if they pulled a Japan and modernized instead of just deciding the rest of the world was beneath their notice until said world came to fuck them in the ass.
>>
>>287450
/thread

China a shit, they truly were the white man's burden.
>>
>>287437
Well uh

I'm gonna say it was the opium
>>
File: 28-laugh-OF009519-1280.jpg (144 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
28-laugh-OF009519-1280.jpg
144 KB, 500x750
>>287617
>white man's burden

calm the fuck down /pol/
>>
Naval Strength, of which the British had overwhelmingly and the Chinese had virtually none of
>>
>>287617
Except China only started improving when they decided to violently oppose all foreign attempts to control them.
>>
File: Weihaiwei_surrender[1].jpg (325 KB, 1302x640) Image search: [Google]
Weihaiwei_surrender[1].jpg
325 KB, 1302x640
>>287450
>>287437

China was advanced. Then they stagnated. Britain was a top notch power.

This painting is from the first Sino-Japanese war, but it shows how backwards China was. You see a modern looking Japanese vs. Chinamen who look like they stepped out of some history book.

A better question is: Why did China completely squander their development and stagnate for centuries?
>>
>>287690
Western doesn't mean modern you imbecile
>>
>>287485
>whole of Europe
That is how chinks soothing themselves when the fact that were only some hundred whiteys carried muskets btfo chink army
>>
>>287703

In pretty much every way it matters it did, and to a great extent still does.

I would argue that in a lot of ways Japan is actually ahead of the curve now, and that scares me.
>>
>>287690
I imagine it was isolationism and rampant rebellions like the Taiping Rebellion and Boxer Rebellion
>>
>>287690
That looks like the Japanese got beamed down by aliens from the future.
>>
>>287713
They'll need to start having babies again before they take over the world
>>
>>287485
>the Brits only ruled bits of Canton and Shanghai.
and Hong Kong and Tianjin and Wei Hai Wei and Hangkou and Ningbo plus their bit of the legation quarter in Beijing
>>
>>287741

They don't need to, they are literally going the robot slaves route.

tbpfh their population level is descending back to it's historical mean, and this regression to the mean will be seen in basically the rest of the world over the next 50 years.
>>
>>287711
>That is how chinks soothing themselves when the fact that were only some hundred whiteys carried muskets btfo chink army
You mean a hundred British officers + their pet Indians?

>mfw Brits only counted officer deaths
>>
>>287779
Nah pet is a bit too highly in regards to the relationship..
The Brits at least called their doggies and kitties by their name.
>>
>>287437
British governance was more effective
>The Qing was on the downswing in their dynastic cycle
>The dynastic cycles of China were primarily caused by principal agent problems
>http://www.princeton.edu/politics/about/file-repository/public/Sng_Oct04_2011.pdf
>Qing was able to extract 3% of GDP in revenue, while the British were able to extract 4 times that
> Qing was unable to borrow money while the British could, up to 200% of GDP in the Napoleonic wars
>Qing instead stockpiled silver of up to 2 years revenue
>most of that was spent during the White Lotus rebellion and finances never recovered
>http://www.econ.upf.edu/docs/seminars/ma.pdf
Based this on a "Lorenzo Thinking Out Loud" blogpost titled "French revolution as Chinese dynastic crisis"
>fuck the spam filter
>>
>>287437
chinese are beta keks tbqh family

incredibly pretentious for a people who live off of legacy
>>
>>287484
Anglo genes
>>
>>287484

genetic perfidiousness

the englishman is the evil mutt of the British Isles; an unholy breed of Celt, Briton, Germanic, Norse, and Frankish blood.
>>
>>287617
I don't think you know what the term means
>>
File: 1446414661941.jpg (52 KB, 595x720) Image search: [Google]
1446414661941.jpg
52 KB, 595x720
>hey lets look a this interesting thread about the opium wars
>its a /pol/ thread
>>
>>287968
Do you even know where you are?
This is /pol/ with dates son.
>>
File: Yuan_shikai.jpg (35 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
Yuan_shikai.jpg
35 KB, 312x500
>>287690
>This painting is from the first Sino-Japanese war, but it shows how backwards China was. You see a modern looking Japanese vs. Chinamen who look like they stepped out of some history book.

You do know Meiji Woodblock prints love to propagandize right?

For one thing, the Admirals in Weihaiwei never surrendered. They committed suicide after losing.
>Japanese Admiral Itoh Sukeyuki made an appeal to Admiral Ding, who was a personal friend. In his letter, he expressed his regret that the old acquaintances had been obliged to meet each other in hostility, appealed to the Ding's patriotism by pointing out the retrogressive policy which Ding had been called upon to defend and which could only end in disaster, and then counseled him to prevent a certain defeat and unnecessary loss of life by capitulating. Ito further advised Ding to accept political asylum in Japan until the end of the war, and then return to his native land in order to aid China in setting her policy on a sound basis. When Ding read this message he was visibly moved, but wrote a letter in response stating that "I am thankful for the admiral's friendship, but I cannot forsake my duties to the state. The only thing now remaining for me to do is to die." Ding committed suicide by overdose of opium in his office at his Liugong Island headquarters.[1] His deputy, Admiral Liu Buchan, after ordering that his warship be scuttled by explosives, also committed suicide.

For another: this was 1870's+ China. The Qing's military was backward and corruption ridden but did try to modernize. This led to the creation of China's first modern army: the Beiyang Army (separate from the 8 Banners Army), whose officers...dressed in the same Prussiaboo Uniforms as Japs did.

Pic related, one of them.

Depicting Chinese in traditional clothing going to war was a Meiji propaganda on how backwards their enemies that they make no move to modernization. When IRL it was otherwise.
>>
>>287968
How is it a /pol/ thread? This boogeyman crap is annoying as shit. There are plenty of reasonable answers. Fuck off back to reddit if you get triggered by a few shitposters
>>
>>288006
t. /pol/s imagination
>>
>>287437
China had fallen behind drastically in terms of technology. British warships were steam driven and had superior artillery, while British troops (mainly from the British Indian Army) were armed with rifles rather than the smooth-bore muskets the Chinese were using.

Add in the fact that Qing dynasty was really struggling to manage China by this point and its no wonder it was a curb stomp of a war
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.