[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, was Roosevelt as great as they say? I watched a Ken Burns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2502x3143) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2502x3143
So, was Roosevelt as great as they say?

I watched a Ken Burns documentary and it practically said he was Jesus himself. Thoughts?
>>
>>286780
He was a fairly based president. There aren't many to pick from but he easily makes the top 3.
>>
>>286799
Didn't he basically cause genocide in the Philippines?
>>
Nationalism done fairly right. Has a colorful history before being President.

Not a communist cripple like his relation.
>>
>>286780
>a Ken Burns documentary and it practically said he was Jesus himself. Thoughts?
Stop watching Ken Burns documentaries and read.
>>
>>286804
Not that it matters, the Philippines worship America now.
>>
Yeah, probably best president desu senpai.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 505x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 505x426
>>286809
I'm currently reading a book on the history of China. There's only so many hours in the day and documentaries are entertaining desu senpai.

I also love Dan Carlins Hardcore history podcast. Come at me.
>>
>>286804
The war was pretty much over by the time McKinely was killed and Teddy was sworn in.
>>
>>286780
Didn't he start the whole national parks thing?
We need more outdoorsy presidents desu.
>>
File: UUMPH.jpg (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UUMPH.jpg
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>286780
Anyone who takes a bullet and goes on with their speech is pretty based in my book. He led the effort to bust up the monopolies and save American capitalism, basically leading the progressive movement. His imperialistic efforts overseas catapulted America to world power status. Panama and the Great White Fleet come to mind in that department. As previously mentioned he had a colorful past before being president. He was also the only third party candidate to ever come close to winning a presidential election.
>>
File: BasedTheodoreRoosevelt.jpg (948 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
BasedTheodoreRoosevelt.jpg
948 KB, 2048x1536
>>286780
TR as a man is a very inspirational man. An easy roll model. A natural Leader. An American through and through. His Ideals on Politics via well intention was a bit of an idealist. Criticisms of it will say that it was "Unnecessary" and "Too much presidential interference in Private Civil Affairs."

As a man though it would be a great role model.
>>
File: get.jpg (31 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
31 KB, 500x377
>>286780
Someone walled up to him and told him America wasn't free; TR was lying. They were concise, foreign, and detailed.

TR responded with, "O-oh, I... I-I'm sorry...."

He then proceeded to welcome his other guests with a somber and depressed mood.

(A cookie to whomever can provide the sauce! It is even more depressing when you hear how that young foreigner's siblings reacted over the long run... If you are a psychopath, that is! Hahahahah!)

Future presidents realized that they didn't need to be skilled like TR to be viewed as great presidents. They just had to be racist as fuck. So, due to TR's spilling his spaghetti because he was so honest and noble, for the next sixty years, extreme racism was introduced, and not one president ever again was criticised by a darkie... Because they could never get close enough anyway, hueheheheh!

Things got so bad that Truman couldn't undo things and had to deal with all the treasonous psychopaths that weasled their way into TR's cousin's administration.

So yeah, while he was about the best president there ever was, he lacked Machisimo, so he indirectly is 100% responsible for the Spanish Flu, the works wars, Communism, and overall about 200 million deaths due to state-sponsored killing.
>>
Reminder, Taft did more to bust monopolies. TR was cool, but is overrated as fuck and anyone who thinks he was one of the best presidents has shitty opinions.
>>
>>286780
Lets see, he started a completely unnecessary war which ushered in American empire building, and introduced unconstitutional progressive programs into the American system.

So despite any of his personal strengths that are admirable, I would say he was a horrible policy maker.
>>
>>287313
... what?
>>
>>287313
i'm so confused

you're either the best troll ever or you have severe schizophrenia
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 182x278) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 182x278
>>287368
>>287389
This was Ching-Ling Soong aka Mrs. Sun Yat-sen.

Ok, not a darkie, but darker than me, and I'm Mexican, so asubhuman in the eyes of post-TR presidencies. (My lightness is an embarrassment to my own race.... I get my own cookie! It will not fill the void in my heart.)

And now you know why TR needed to be an asshole, but wasn't.
>>
>>287488
So I think schizophrenic is the answer.
>>
>>286809
http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Boy-Theodore-Roosevelts-Legacy/dp/0307237222

Like this? Ken Burns also loves FDR btw.
>>
>>286946
I love Teddy because he told asthma and general sickness to go fuck itself. He literally walked off disease.
>>
>>287313
>lacked machismo
Have you ever heard of his time with the Rough Riders?
>>
>>286823
Hardcore history sucks cock. You should feel bad for liking such crap.
>>
>>287730
Can't you just /pretend/ TR was a walking world conspiracy?
>>
I heard that he read Nietzsche? Is it true? His Four Freedoms seems to be taken from Nietzsche except Nietzsche was warning against such freedoms. Did he disagree with him? Did he even read him? Did he just like Emerson and heard Nietzsche liked Emerson?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms

>>286818
What phrase filters to desu senpai?
>>
>>288283
TR was a social darwinist and a brutal warmonger. Privately an interesting and likeable man but as the president he prefered big government and so on. Not a fan.
>>
>>286946
I think that quote is kind of a strawman. No one ever thinks that critics are more important than "doers" (although in a existential sense, the critic is essentially more important because it is observers which are needed to give any value to mere events/people; even the doer is a critic in this regard, when they self-direct, self-overcome, show critics and society how to interpret the new they bring or prophesize) so the whole quote seems like merely an elaboration of the "fuck the haters" meme that unintelligent individuals use to justify their independence, creativity and motivation skills. They basically attack bad critics because they are bad doers. Bad critics lack the independence, creativity, motivation, vigour but they make up for it with intelligence, discipline and knowledge of tradition, sensitivity, reflection. Good doers combine both skill sets so they don't need to attack the other. Likewise for good critics.
>>
>>288283
>What phrase filters to desu senpai?
desu senpai
>>
>>288297
Doesn't really answer what I asked, although possibly indirectly: Nietzsche was absolutely not a social darwinist or warmonger.

>>288082
>I love Teddy because he told asthma and general sickness to go fuck itself. He literally walked off disease.
This sounds a lot like Nietzsche though. He also walked off bad health.

>>288320
Use periods or something. Or is it a new meme instead of a redirect?
>>
>>288339
Oh, I thought it might have been the second part wasn't sure on the first.

test: senpai
test: desu

Also you should delete your post now in case I get you in trouble!
>>
File: 1447955432863.gif (997 KB, 269x201) Image search: [Google]
1447955432863.gif
997 KB, 269x201
>>287313
>>287368
>>287389
>>287488
>>287730
>>288278
>>
>>286780
No, he was the worst. He saved capitalism.
>>
>>288763
someone listened his dan carlin
>muh huey long
>>
File: Muir_and_Roosevelt_restored.jpg (775 KB, 956x1146) Image search: [Google]
Muir_and_Roosevelt_restored.jpg
775 KB, 956x1146
tl;dr: Yes.

He is probably one of the most fascinating personalities in American history

>born a weakling, never should have survived
>works out and fights his way out of his sickness
>self taught naturalist, respected universally by his peers
>speaks fluent german, some french
>regularly reads 2-3 books a day
>as police commissioner of new york, he personally patrols the extremely violent areas of the city to catch criminals and whip sleeping beat cops into shape
>in north dakota, personally hunts down a couple guys who stole his horse down a rough as fuck river. arrests them personally.
>as president, regularly ditches his secret service detail to go hang out in the woods or hunt
>when asked why he says something like "it's okay i have a gun"
>explores an unknown river in the fucking amazon jungle after his presidency
>when WWI breaks out, he bugs the shit out of the US army to let him lead a battalion into france

The most based of Americans. If anyone on /his/ lives in the tri-state area, I highly recommend checking out his estate Sagamore Hill in Long Island. It was recently restored and its stunning.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.