[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's this war that happened in South America that I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: southamerica.png (75 KB, 310x377) Image search: [Google]
southamerica.png
75 KB, 310x377
There's this war that happened in South America that I can't seem to remember the details of. I think Colombia was involved. It was notable in the fact that like 80% (or some obscene amount) of a country was killed. Am I remembering this wrong or did something like this happen? What was this war?
>>
>>286618
Paraguay took on all of its neighbors at once. And then did it again a hundred years later
>>
You're probably thinking of Brazil killing Paraguay
>>
>>286618

Paraguayan war. Between Paraguay and Brazil (mostly). Some estimates put the adult male population dead at 70%, although from what I gather (and I haven't studied the period much) modern estimates seem to think that was a bit exaggerated.

However, the Pope did allow a temporary institution of polygamy to help the population recover, so yeah.
>>
>>286623
>>286625
>>286627
Thanks familia
>>
File: 220px-Lopez1870.jpg (17 KB, 220x355) Image search: [Google]
220px-Lopez1870.jpg
17 KB, 220x355
Paraguay was a very special state. Francisco Solano López Carrillo was a Hitler-like figure who managed to turn an isolated and backwards state into an autarkic industrial power with its very own steel mills in the middle of the jungle. Building its own riverine steam-powered navy, it conquered large swathes of the interior before succumbing to the incompetence and disobedience of some of its generals. The Paraguayan War was very much a race war, as a lot of Guaraní people did and still do consider Paraguay to be "their" state in contrast to its neighbors in which the political establishments served the interests of the White elite, which could explain the obligation that Paraguayans felt to die for their country in such obscenely large numbers.
>>
>>286661
But this man was clearly not guaraní
>>
>>286717
Well he's certainly not White either. I haven't researched his genealogy. I assume he was mestizo, like most of the populace of Latin America by the 19th century.
>>
>>286748
>He's Latin American so he's obviously not white

Obviously a Criollo
>>
File: 1446608791483.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1446608791483.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
>knew nothing about the geopolitical map of South America
>play Brazil in Victoria 2
>conquer countries around me
>become familiar with South America

It's a great game in that respect; it gives a good introduction to the history of the region in which you're country is.
>>
>>286661
>tries to make modern state
>cannot into ocean ports

did he try to unite all the -guays under one flag
>>
>>286623
>And then did it again a hundred years later

That was only against Bolivia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.