[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's discuss languages. Which languages sound similar in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: languages.jpg (227 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
languages.jpg
227 KB, 900x675
Let's discuss languages. Which languages sound similar in your foreign ears. Which languages sound best, worst, etc.
>>
>>286523
I can actually differentiate most major accents and languages even though I'm an American who only speaks English, Spanish, some French, and even less German.
>>
>>286523
Native English speaker here - Dutch and Danish for me sound similar to me. German and the other Scandinavians do too, but to a lesser degree.

Once I learned German in school, the other Germanic languages really sound similar to me. Romance languages sound foreign to me, and once you leave Indo-European languages... forget about it

Sounds the best?
English spoken, Slavic languages singing
Sounds the worst?
Arabic. Not even an Islamaphobe, their language is just so harshly spoken
>>
German and French sound similar to me desu
>>
>>290366
What's your mother tongue?
>>
>>290389
English, but I meant they sound similar to eachother
>>
>>286523

Sweden here.

On a superficial level I can sometimes mistake italian for spanish and the other way around.

I would probably not be able to differentiate farsi from arabic right off the bat.

I have no idea what turkish or greek sounds like.

Slavic languages are all the same.
>>
Dutch is at once the most familiar and "worst" for me. I feel like I should understand it, but oh my GOD the guttural noises are awful. Spoken Dutch sounds like they're constantly hacking up phlegm.
>>
>>290456
It's worth noting that Farsi and Arabic aren't even genetically related; Farsi is Indo-European and Arabic is Afro-Asiatic.
>>
I can tell apart Mandarin and Cantonese. Hokkien sounds like Cantonese at least a bit. Thought they were dialects but apparently not part of the same branch.

I grew up around Greek and still understand it in the context of day to day, household conversation. In that regard, I can always tell when somebody is speaking Greek even if I don't know what they're saying.

However... Arabic sounds ridiculously close to Greek to me. I recognize immediately that it isn't, but I can't shake the feeling they sound similar. Traditional Greek and Arabic music is especially difficult to differentiate.

Spanish and Italian also sound a like to me.
>>
>>286523
Romanian can be romance, and it actually looks like bizarro italian on paper, but romanians sound like your stereotypical russian/east slav.
>>
>>290456
Farsi sounds nothing like arabic... if you avoid using the hundreds of arabic loanwords. But iranians don't do that, so it's a little like english with french/latin.

It's true that arabs and persians have pretty much the same "accent" if your'e not from the area t.b.h.
>>
Worst are German and Japanese
>>
I would never expect people to have an interest in languages like mine but goddamn you people have some impossibly stupid perceptions on the subject.
>>
>>291052
go on
>>
Greek and spanish

Arabic and Hebrew

All the south east asian languages

all the slavic languages

>>
strong scots sounds more like dutch than english to me.
>>
>>291056
I see no reason to call people out just because they wrote something almost too bizarre to be true, even if we are discussing personal perception here
>>
>>291093
So what seems almost too bizarre to be true, I'm curious
>>
>>291049
Really? Japanese sounds quite pleasant to me, especially when sung because it has a lot of syllables that end in vowels, which are easier to sing and to draw out notes. Same principle applies to Spanish and Italian.
>>
>>291245
Yes, I agree about Spanish and Italian sounding good because of that exact same reason, but there's something about Japanese that doesn't really convince me.
>>
>>291413
That's probably because you're not listening to the right music; any language can sound fairly pleasant or unpleasant depending on how they're talking/singing. Even German can sound nice in the right context; ever listen to Ode to Joy?
>>
>>291577
I fucking love the way German sounds
To me it sounds powerful and noble
I love the word "Siegfried"
I don't even know what it means, it just sounds cool
I've considered learning German, but I think it would ruin the mysticism
>>
>>291614
Well, literally it means 'victory-peace', but in practical terms it's just a name. And, as for the worry that it will stop sounding beautiful, I think that maybe unfoundedー I can personally attest that, having learnt Esperanto and a certain amount of Japanese, neither of them has ceased to have a certain mystique about their sound.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.