[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graduating with a history degree next semester. Any advice on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1444302400373.jpg (151 KB, 850x1077) Image search: [Google]
1444302400373.jpg
151 KB, 850x1077
Graduating with a history degree next semester. Any advice on what I should and can do with it?
>>
Wipe your ass with it. If you want job recommendations go to /biz/ but they'll tell you the same.
>>
>>286107
As a sociologist
>Try to get a master's asap or just die
>>
>>286107
Be a jobless fuckwit working at Starbucks part time or stay in uni and work in history department.
>>
Burn it for fuel in the winter
>>
>>286107
Teaching is the only thing you can really do with it bruh
>>
>>286107
get a masters or doctorate and then WRITE BOOKS
MAKE BROAD GENERALIZATIONS
SUPPORT THEM WITH SHODDY EVIDENCE
STIR UP SHIT
YOU WILL DO NOTHING UNLESS YOU GENERATE PUBLICITY
>>
File: jackcelia.jpg (132 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
jackcelia.jpg
132 KB, 900x636
Guys
I don't want to be a teacher
>>
>>286107
Sate department, park services, teaching (with educational certification in most States), tutoring, tour guide, etc.

Museums are a good route, but finding an entry level spot in one is hard as fuck. I mean it, it's nearly impossible.

Begin working with your academic adviser, history department, and career services department to look for places and start networking.

Also, this site's got a few options for you to think about as well:
https://www.historians.org/jobs-and-professional-development/career-resources/careers-for-history-majors
>>
>>286132
You can try being a prostitute.
>>
Yeah you can come suck this dick for your bus money
>>
>>286132
Go get a masters at least and try to work your way into a university position.

You will probably end up teaching in some capacity but at least it's not high school kids.
>>
>>286132

Do honours or masters.
>tfw got rejected from honours
>cant do anything with my bachelor but teach
Guess i'll learn to love teaching. Doesn't seem like a bad job
>>
>>286107
I'm usually a /sci/ browser and I'm so glad that I major in something practical and double major in something impractical.

You know the story about the ant and the cricket? I worked hard over college and I'm going to get a job that I enjoy that I will support yourself while you majored in something that you enjoyed and entertains you so you will suffer in the winter that is called life.
>>
>>286107
get teaching certified.

teach social studies class in public school till you are 65.

try not to diddle your students.
>>
>>287298
Lol fuck off fedora
>>
>>286132
History teaching certification right here. Aiming for bachelors.
>>
Teach. Curate a museum.
>>
>>286107
Go to law school
>>
Law School
Law masters if in the UK
If you went to somewhere decent like UCL you should be fine
>>
Segue into law

Start looking for internships and curatorships and anything remotely similar ASAP, ask every academic you know for advice

Get an MA/PhD but the latter only if you are really damn sure because it is not a good field to be in at this point unless you're talented and/or devoted
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.