[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, /his/. Does anyone of you know how to build one of these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (326 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
326 KB, 1200x900
Ok, /his/.
Does anyone of you know how to build one of these? If not, can anyone give me an estimate on how much money I would need to get one of these build?
>>
>>286007
Google has some relevant information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Harald_Fairhair#Construction_and_maiden_voyage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longship
>>
>>286007
You should try ask /diy/
>>
>>286007
They probably had cloth awnings or something for these, right? Riding in a deckless ship for days or weeks at a time sounds hellish.
>>
>>286007
You're going to want to look into the process of steaming boards in order to shape them. that's how the boat got those curved planks.
Then I would suggest a few classes in Scandinavian woodcarving and knot tying.
Then you're going to need a source of tar, or some other waterproofing method (don't want it to sink from a leak).
past that get the wood and get to work, it's not a complicated project, just big.

also, I'm uncertain if they used nails. Scandinavian furniture tends to be interlocking pieces of wood, so you're going to want to figure out wood joints.

good luck.
>>
>>286359
The ship in >>286025
used nails.
Wouldn't it be better and safer to pay them for building another ship?
>>
>>286007
Several of the ships built here in Denmark are built by history nerds. They tend to built the ships using traditional methods/tools/materials etc. And that will make it more expensive and time consuming.
This ship:
http://en.vikingemuseetladby.dk/explore/shipbuilding/
Is like that. So far it has taken them almost 5 years, and ~150.000 USD using only volunteers.
>>
>>286007
I've built boats from scratch (only using a knife and a drill, everything else I made).
It really depends on where you live, it may cost you a few thousand if you live in Eastern Europe and have a place to store it without paying rent, or it may cost up to a hundred thousand if you are in some expensive area.
>>
File: Wooden-Nail-1158740[1].jpg (44 KB, 449x337) Image search: [Google]
Wooden-Nail-1158740[1].jpg
44 KB, 449x337
>>286359
>>286380
You dont use nails for old clinkers, you drill holes and insert wooden nails.
Then you drive a piece of wood into the nail, to make it expand and lock in.
It will further expand when in contact with water.
>>
Some dudes at the Roskilde Viking Ship museum or whatever it is called build these and sail them. Try looking them up, maybe send them an email or some shit.
>>
>>286007
>no rowlocks
>dragon looks like a fag
>dragon not even removable
>appears to fit about five people
1/10, would not raid Ireland in
>>
>tfw I wrote an essay on the evolution of clinker-built ships and the socio-economic role in the Baltic and North Seas
>tfw I remember absolutely nothing

SOMETHING SOMETHING KEELS
>>
>>287937
>You dont use nails for old clinkers, you drill holes and insert wooden nails.

Perhaps you'd like to do a little research into the subject, before talking next time.

Yes, treenails, as they were called, were used in a few ship types. Viking ships were not one of them.

Viking vessels use iron nails with large "roves", washers, onto which the iron was riveted. This process has been observed in ships are diverse as the Skuldev finds, Gokstadt and Oseberg ships, the Ardnamurchan boat-burial, the Sutton Hoo mound burial, and the likes.

in fact, many ships (like Adrnamurchan and Sutton Hoo) the wooden ships have decayed entirely, leaving only the iron nails in soil at the positions they were before the boards rotted away. In one excavation, careful stratigraphic mapping meant the entire thing was then reconstructed in 3d. the front half of that was exhibited in the national museum of scotland a few years ago, each nail being suspended in space by threads: see pic.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.