[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Christian views of hell evolve over the years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Dante.jpg (134 KB, 670x1000) Image search: [Google]
Dante.jpg
134 KB, 670x1000
How did Christian views of hell evolve over the years?
>>
File: hell.png (75 KB, 841x1238) Image search: [Google]
hell.png
75 KB, 841x1238
It's been fuzzy 2bh
>>
>>284376
It became more material. It started with the "place of moaning and gnashing of teeth" which you find in the NT and evolved into something closer to nordic folklore, obviously due to the christianization of the Germans. Needless to say neither the ancient east nor Greco-Roman culture had devils with pitchforks.
>>
>>284398
Btw Hell is a Germanic word. The Greeks had Hades, which is basically just generic afterlife, while the Hebrews had Geyhenom, which is simply a name of a place in Jerusalem. It's another one of those instances where pagan ideas became christian doctrine.
>>
>>284414
>In Jewish Rabbinic literature, and Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked.[2] This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible usually translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.
>>
>>284561
Rabbinic literature is way later than the scripture which influenced early Christianity.
>>
>>284594
>In the synoptic gospels Jesus uses the word Gehenna 11 times to describe the opposite to life in the Kingdom (Mark 9:43-48).[28] It is a place where both soul and body could be destroyed (Matthew 10:28) in "unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43).
>>
>>284561
>Gehenna is a destination of the wicked
But the question is, would it be a post-mortem destination or an earthly one?

Last I checked, early Jews didn't believe in an afterlife.
>>
>>284609
>soul would be destroyed
Absolutely not the Christian hell then.
>>
>>284621
>burn in unquenchable fire
>said by Jesus himself

sounds like Christian hell to me desu senpai
>>
>>284621
Actually it's very Christian. The entire New Testament speaks of a "second death".
>>
>>284609
so the idea isn't "durr gonna torture you forever because vengeance" but more like "you will be deleted, you failure"
>>
>>284664
>second death
The 70AD judgement, yes.
A lot of sinners perished during that time.
>>
>>284376

bump
>>
>>284396

>doesn't post the Vulgate

worthless
>>
>>284675
This is what a lot of Christian theologians believe. Technically when you die, you aren't supposed to go straight to heaven, your soul just lies peacefully in your body until Judgment Day but that's a whole other matter. But for people who are doomed to hell, they go straight to their punishment in "hell" whatever that means precisely, and on Judgment Day their souls will cease to exist entirely.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_conditionalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilationism

I've also read somewhere that damnation to hell itself is not necessarily absolute doom, but that on Judgment Day, those who recognize the majesty of God will be forgiven and ascend to heaven, while those who reject God's love will be consigned to oblivion, as mentioned, however I cannot remember where I heard that.
>>
>>284414
In latin languages it has names derivated from infernum. It just means underworld.
>>
>>284621
Here it means to suffer death...that is, for a soul to be separated from God. Christ's soul suffered this.

The "unquenchable fire" means inability to feel love.

Not only should Christians cut off their hands and pluck out their eyes, they should kill themselves. Figuratively, of course. Once you accept Christ, you are dead to the world, a baptism is a death and a rebirth.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.