[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: rome2_spqr.jpg (1 MB, 1528x898) Image search: [Google]
rome2_spqr.jpg
1 MB, 1528x898
Favourite Senators/Emperors?

Favourite battles/wars?
>>
Can we make it a worst emperor's thread instead?
>>
>>28448
Stilicho was kicking ass but of course honorius decided to be a retard
>>
File: eagle.jpg (32 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
eagle.jpg
32 KB, 400x261
>>28415
>Favourite Emperors?
Augustus is the only real option for favourite. Others include Trajan and Aurelius.

>Favourite battles/wars?
Probably the Roman conquest of Greece, where you get to see Hoplites and the phalanx go up against the flexible Roman forces. It's a turning point in history.
>>
File: sulla3.jpg (151 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
sulla3.jpg
151 KB, 500x540
>>28415
Anyone who doesn't answer with pic related is populari scum.
>>
favourite emperor is Marcus Aurelius, mainly because of Meditations

I am fascinated by the first Punic War mainly because I know so little about it

>>29160
the original rags to riches story
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 309x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 309x477
Hard not to like Marius as far as Consuls go. Favorite Emperors are definitely Augustus, Vespasian, and Julian the Apostate
>>
Emperor Titus, the William Henry Harrison of Rome

Senate was a useless bickering game of paranoid murderous children, Augustus did nothing wrong in seizing the dictatorship.
>>
Hadrian. He made Rome great again.
>>
>>28415
Definantly Vespasian, saved the empire from catastrophy in its infancy, but I am a big fan of Trajan as well.

Favorite war is definantly second Punic. There no other war that has shaped the pschology of the roman culture in such a profound way.
>>
>>29398
this + Trajan
best double feature on emperors besides the succession of Julius and Augustus, but that doesn't technically count.
>>
Caligula :^)
>>
>>29346
So we have a populares in this thread....
>>
File: 800px-Arminius1.jpg (212 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
800px-Arminius1.jpg
212 KB, 800x1200
>>28415
>Favourite battles/wars?
Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
>>
>No one naming Caesar
Id say nero
>>
>>29438
Was Marius ever declared dictator for life? My memory is a bit hazy but I do not recall any other dictator with that title.
>>
Sulla, Cato the Elder and Cicero. Not a big fan of the Empire.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 400x216) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 400x216
I will either find a way, or make one.

Cannae
>>
>>29160
The only man who understood the true nature of the masses and did anything to prevent it.
>>
>>29524
No but he did hold a very firm string of consulships
>>
The GOAT was easily Marcus Furius Camillus

>chosen to be dictator FIVE times

Imagine the amount of faith the senate and people would have to have in one man to make him dictator five times.
>>
>>29478

GIVE ME BACK MY LEGIONS
>>
>>28415

Aurelian

Incredible commander and rooted out corruption and tried to save Roman currency
>>
>>31226
Just a pleb-tier Diocletian desu senpai.
>>
>>31289

>le maximum prices edict
>>
This one, guy just wanted to farm.

Also it's quite interesting how Rome sees him as their collective paternal figure.

>Within his lifetime Cincinnatus became a legend to the Romans. Twice granted supreme power, he held onto it for not a day longer than absolutely necessary. The high esteem in which he was held by his compatriots is illustrated with an anecdote from the end of his life: one of his sons was tried for military incompetence. The great Capitolinus defended him by asking the jury who would go to tell the aged Cincinnatus the news in the event of a conviction. The son was acquitted because the jury could not bring itself to break the old man's heart
>>
>>28415
>muh empire
Fuck off, the Roman Kingdom and the Early Republic are the most based periods. Back when Rome was still a virtuous soliders/farmers socity.
>>
>>29478
Rome-hating barbar confirmed

nth for CLAVDIVS
>>
>>32005
Livy detected
>>
>>32334
I actually enjoy Livy very much. Too bad he appreciated "the divine Augustus".
>>
File: Aurelian.jpg (183 KB, 1054x928) Image search: [Google]
Aurelian.jpg
183 KB, 1054x928
Illyricum or bust
>>
>Favourite Emperors
Probably Tiberius, followed by Augustus.
>>
>>33116
I just loved how Tiberius explored Germany when he was young (probably went as far North as the passage between Denmark and Norway). That was amazing for the time.

Too bad he went crazy later on (yeah, i know Suetonius is exagerating, but still).
>>
>>32005
>muh degeneracy
>muh nostalgia for the virtuous Roman past

Fuck off nerd.
>>
Gracchi brothers were god-tier

The first Marxists.
>>
>>33310
>using nerd as an insult on 4chan
>especially on a board dedicated to an "intellectual" topic
>>
Helvidius Priscus

>When Vespasian sent for Helvidius Priscus and commanded him not to go into the senate, he replied, "It is in your power not to allow me to be a member of the senate, but so long as I am, I must go in." "Well, go in then," says the emperor, "but say nothing." "Do not ask my opinion, and I will be silent." "But I must ask your opinion." "And I must say what I think right." "But if you do, I shall put you to death." "When then did I tell you that I am immortal? You will do your part, and I will do mine: it is your part to kill; it is mine to die, but not in fear: yours to banish me; mine to depart without sorrow."
>>
>>33374
Or maybe they just found a loophole to gain some power
>>
>>33667
They were both assassinated for trying to redistribute wealth to the poor and needy...
>>
Surprised nobody has said Battle of Alesia.

Also, Titus Labienus was pretty based until he joined Pompey.
>>
>>33374
>>34102
Populares get out, go back to reddit and stay there with the plebs.
4chan is the nobilitas and should therefore support the optimates.
>>
File: numa.jpg (25 KB, 310x350) Image search: [Google]
numa.jpg
25 KB, 310x350
Emperors? None of them.
This nigga right here, though.
>>
>>35818
Numa was a lil bitch
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.