[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many great modern historians German? Is it autism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
Why are so many great modern historians German?

Is it autism?
>>
>>281484
*philosophers*
>>
>Britain first country hit by the Industrial Revolution
>nearest countries are France and Germany
>United States is somewhat late to the party but comes in with a gusto
>essentially everyone important in the last 200 years is from one of these four countries

It's not that complicated.
>>
>>281533
lol this

really the greatest are the british and the french because they started modern philosophy
>>
>>281533

What are some of the USA's major contributions to philosophy? Or major figures in it, at least?
>>
>>281562
To be perfectly honest, I'm more on the "history" end than the "humanities" end.

Keep in mind that the industrialization of US didn't really take off until after the Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_philosophy
>>
>>281562
historically, American Pragmatism (Dewey in particular). as far as contemporary analytic philosophy is concerned, Quine, Rorty, Kripke. Epistemologists like Ernest Sosa etc.
>>
>>281597
>>281571

Thanks guys
>>
>>281491
In general the health of a nation corresponds with it's intellectual health. Germany used to be an Empire which is very healthy. You got Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Hegel and a ton of other less known names during it's healthy period. After Germany got less healthy after losing ww1 and ww2 (lost both territory and it's self-respect. The Holocaust guilty escpially emasculated them) it got less healthy and so philosophy in turn went down. It got fewer, weaker philosophers (consider that after ww2 ended it's philosophical contribution is trivial)

American 'philosophy' is trash for a different reason. We're kind of anti-intellectual. Philosophy is very high-brow so it's rejected. All good philosophy builds on the tradition of previous philosophers. If your community is just going to ignore the long lineage of philosophers and treat it as a do it yourself project than you are going to get shitty philosophy.
>>
>>281536

are you fucking kidding me right now? have you ever heard of Kant, cunt?
>>
>>281484
It's "der Autismus", Anon.
>>
File: 1346775267294.jpg (50 KB, 500x462) Image search: [Google]
1346775267294.jpg
50 KB, 500x462
>>281536
>anglo philosophy

Someone get me out of this hell
>>
>>281680
Locke and Hume say hi
>>
>>281663

>It got fewer, weaker philosophers (consider that after ww2 ended it's philosophical contribution is trivial)

I'm sorry my man but you're just wrong

Nietzsche, Kant, Schopenhauer - they were all very significant and they were very popular (posthumously in the case of Schopenhauer)

But Frege, Popper, Wittgenstein, Feuerbach and Heidegger were equally important for philosophy as a field, they're just not as known because very few people nowadays get seriously involved with philosophy aside fromcontemporary philosophy, think existentialism, most poststructuralists, frankfurt school etc.

especially Popper and Frege don't get the "mainstream credit" they deserve
>>
>>281663

>(consider that after ww2 ended it's philosophical contribution is trivial)

also come on now, Habermas and Adorno are far from trivial, have you even read them?
>>
>>281663

>American 'philosophy' is trash for a different reason

Um, do the names Henry David Thoreau, John Dewey, Richard Rorty mean nothing to you?

Considering the last greatest philosopher was from the 19th century and that America has only been around since 1776 I think it is hard to call American philosophy trash. Yes, it is nothing compared to other traditions, but if we were to compare the philosophers of other nations since 1800 to American philosophers the disparity would not be so great.
>>
>>281749
>The American continent didn't exist before the United States
>The British just conquered and lost a patch of sea
>The founding fathers summoned mountains and landmass by writing a constitution
Oh-kay
>>
>>281764

Lmao, seriously, i'm drunk as fuck and this made me laugh, but that's gotta be a troll, man.

Of course we are talking about Los Estados Unidos when we speak of America, friend. Why would we speak of the Quiche or Montezuma? Fuck em.
>>
>>281764
All of the historically significant stuff was after 1776 though.
>>
>>281801
I am a literal monkey and I am American.
>>
>>281696
Heidegger was very much the result of a preww2 germany. He got to experience Germany before it's health got way worst at the end of the war. I could say the same for several other philosophers you mentioned.

And as I said before it's not that Germany stopped producing philosophers, they got weaker at it.

>>281749
>Thoreau
Do you really think this guy is important? How can you possibly take an anti-technology philosopher seriously. It doesn't take much to realize it's a completely unpractical and foolish stance.

>John Dewey Richard Rorty
Answering directly no. Didn't Rorty say that we should stop taking philosophy seriously and instead let fiction novels decide things? Just like Thoreu it makes it very hard to take him seriously after this. It's kind of a forfeit. I can't comment on Dewey.

In general the analytic field is exactly what I described weak philosophy as, ignoring the tradition of the past. The analytic school was literally started on the basis of ignoring previous philosophy.
>>
>>281484
Because Hegel and Ranke changed the game and Dilthey first made it a science on par with funding as the other.
>>
>>281484
So according to 4chan:
passion = autism
If you want to be a normie, be bored.
>>
>>282302
Why do you refer to historical socio-economic and political circumstances for a nation as a general category of "health"?
>>
>>282385
Well because the future philosophers of a nation are born into the nation. It's political circumstance and economy is going to directly affect their entire world view. We are shaped by our environment. The other thing is the type of culture and self-image the nation has. Something like losing a big war, getting your territory shrunken, having to pay reparations to your enemies (see ww1) or holocaust guilt is really bad for the soul of a nation this in turn affects the culture which affects the population.
>>
>>282405
"Health" in terms of economic success as national manifest destiny? This really sounds like an argument that can only be made in the vein of ahistoricity.
>>
>>282419
It's not that hard. Winning and suceeding is going to result in a more prosperous nation because land and wealth can do a whole lot of stuff! It's also going to be very good for a nations soul, it's good to be part of the winning team. The reverse is also true with a nation's failure impacting moral and institutions terribly. For an obvious example look at Greece, when they were very high up compared to the other, inferior, nations around them they had good philosophers and in general were ontop of all the humanities.

History has made it abundantly clear that the empires produce the best culture and we all know that culture has a huge impact on people. So yes, economic success and conquest of other nations is very much a sign of health. While the reverse, economic failure and getting conquered, leads to death. I imagine this is pretty unsettling for a liberal perspective on history.
>>
>>282459
>nations soul
babbyies first reading of hegel
>>
File: idea of history.jpg (8 KB, 126x200) Image search: [Google]
idea of history.jpg
8 KB, 126x200
this book by collingwood explains why

tldr: bacon and descartes were mostly anti-historian because of their scientific bias. this influenced the humble or politically motivated approaches of french and english historians.
german idealism wouldnt accept narrow scientific constraints for history, so they developed linguistic research, archeology and the first elements of an anthropology. giambattista vico was isolated in his time, but germans later recognized him as their forefather.
>>
>>281484
If you look t those german philosophers you'd see that they all come from a protestant environment. German Protestantism of the 18th, 19th, and until the mid-20th centuary was pretty based and produced a lot of great minds. Based on their interest those thinkers tried to grasp their faith intellectually. The modern courses in theology that are used worldwide were also invented by a German. They were also the ones who first tried to grasp the Bible as a book with it's own historical circumstances, which lead to the development of the science of literature aswell as history. Lastly, the german language is good for using in philosophy.
>>
>>282358
To be fair Schopenhauer was pretty fucking autistic
>>
German here. My philosophy tutor told me German philosophy died with WW2 ;_;
>>
>>282982
Well, yes, that's what happens when a country is raped beyond recognition
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.