[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Independence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: republic of venice.png (160 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
republic of venice.png
160 KB, 600x300
What single state (historical or not) can you name that has been independence for the longest? First one that comes to mind is the Republic of Venice that lasted for 1100 years.
>>
>>280586
San Marino?
England?
Denmark?
Sweden?
Ethiopia?
>>
Ethiopia or Egypt. Maybe the Papal States. Or Rome. Depends on what you count as independence.
>>
Ethiopia seems the most promising answer off the top of my head.
>>
San Marino

I'm pretty sure this thread is already up
>>
Am I wrong, but Venice is a top example because during their entire history system of government barely changed and continuity of government never stopped?
>>
Besides 50 years under a personal union with Castille, Portugal has existed since 1139.
>>
I'm completely ignorant, but weren't the Egyptians around for a fucklong time before there was any group big enough to consider conquering them?
>>
Oman?
>>
Probably something in the middle of nowhere like Hawaii
>>
>>280586
The Roman Empire

Existing from 25BC to 1453AD
>>
>>280620
The fall of Esto Novo is a new government
>>
>>280586
Switzerland
>>
>>282523
Don't forget 1776-present
>inb4 america isn't the heir of rome
>>
>>280586
The Roman Empire was independent for almost 1500 years.
>>
>>282643
In what way is the USA the heir of Rome or is this a spicy meme?
>>
>>282515
Polynesian societies can't really be considered "states" in the sense that we know them. They are small-scale and based on familial and ancestral connections and are pretty much just groups of tribes who are either rivals or friends.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.