[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it mean to be Semitic? I usually just think "jews"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 123057-004-F411A138.gif (45 KB, 501x335) Image search: [Google]
123057-004-F411A138.gif
45 KB, 501x335
What does it mean to be Semitic? I usually just think "jews" when I hear Semite, but what about the rest of them? Was Carthage Semitic? Is current north Africa Semitic?
>>
family langage.

Semits= people speaking a semitic langage.

North African speak arabic, they're arabs so semits.
Carthage was culturally semitic. Like modern day tunisia.
>>
>>279256
A person who speaks a semitic language, mostly arabs and jews.

Or a people supposedly descendant of the legendary biblical Shem, son of Noah. Again mostly arabs and jews. But also people of that area that doesn't exist anymore like Akkadians or Phoenicians (but not sumerians).
>>
>>279407
> people of that area that doesn't exist anymore like Akkadians or Phoenicians

Lol. They vanished into the sky?
Their descendants are still there.
>>
>>279451
>If my descendants live in a country, it means I still live there
>If someone lives in my country centuries after my death, he or she is my descendant
>>
>>279451
I don't consider people who adopted arab language and culture to be akkadians or phoenicians. Blood descent doesn't mean shit if it's not coupled with actual cultural continuity.
>>
>>279488
>autism

So amerindian people doesn't exist anymore because they speak spanish?celts people are gone because european speak a latin/germanic langage?
>>
>>279509
>So amerindian people doesn't exist anymore because they speak spanish?
>impliying they have spanish culture

>celts people are gone because european speak a latin/germanic langage?
Yes, scots and irish are anglos in denial, deal with it.
>>
Do you speak a semitic language? Then you're a Semite.

However many retards on here think Semitic and Afro Asiatic are interchangeable terms
>>
The origin of the name goes back to the story of Noah's sons Ham, Shem & Japheth, corresponding to the three dominant language groups in the part of the world at that time. Indo-European languages were included in the Japhetic group. There's a good section on this topic in Asimov's Guide to the Bible.
>>
>>279509
Yes.
>>
>>279947
So it's like:

>Shem: Semitic
>Japeth: Indo-european
>Ham: ??? (blacks?)
>>
>>280190

what about Asiatics. in my opinion Shem would be both the Semites and Indo Europeans while Japeth would be the Asians no?
>>
>>280339
I suppose you mean east asians, and those do not fucking exist for a bronze age jew.
>>
>>280365

>and those do not fucking exist for a bronze age jew.

oh im sorry i didn't know that pol pot was around
>>
>>280389
He wasn't, because he didn't exist
>>
>>279451
>descendants
>implying
>>
>>279509
>what is gaelic
>>
File: 1365927088008.jpg (24 KB, 534x443) Image search: [Google]
1365927088008.jpg
24 KB, 534x443
Does that mean one can be Anglo by virtue of being American even though their ancestors aren't from england?
>>
>>280952
All americans are anglos. But, like all new world nations, they have identity issues that must still be resolved so they also resort to "ancestors" claiming of course the most "exotic" sounding ones.
>>
>>280984
well many americans are of germanic, or dutch, or polish descent. most are mutts made up of all of them
>>
>>279733
This
>>
>>279733
All semitics are Afro-Asiatic though....
>>279256
North Africa linguistically is Afro Asiatic with a majority Arabophone population that has been culturally arabized. With that you have arabized Berbers, berberized and arabized native Haratine, arabized and berberized african slave decendants, nilo-saharans of all sorts and remnant Arabized Jewish Berber and Sephardim communities.
>>
>>279509
For the most part, yes. I'm Irish, and we are absolutely not Celtic. There are slight undercurrents of Celtic culture like the legends we learn in school, bit of traditional music, and small pockets of Irish language, but overall we do not live in a Celtic civilization. That idea just comes from 19th century Romantic nationalism. Celts weren't even a real ethnicity, they were just a group of related but different peoples. We're just Irish. There's a slight undercurrent of Celtic culture, but we have never called ourselves Celts and we share nothing in common with the ancient Gauls.
>>
>>280984
Anglo isn't necessarily short for Anglophone in the sense that 4chan uses it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.