[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what do you guys think about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 700x525
So what do you guys think about it?
>>
>>279136
The title is better than the work itself.
>>
>>279136
They fucked up the depiction of Japanese territories.
>>
>>279136
I didn't know it was out yet.
>>
It was a great book. Netflix sounds like a typical "Guise look at how bad the nazees were xD" sort of thing. I'll give it a chance anyway.
>>
>>279169
I didn't either until I saw a post on /tv/ about it yesterday. Amazon really needs to step up their marketing. Whenever Netflix drops a show you can't go on YouTube without being slapped in the face by a million ads for it the entire month leading up to it, but here Amazon has a show that was so heavily anticipated and I had to find out they'd released it by going on 4chan.
>>
>>279178
>Netflix sounds like a typical "Guise look at how bad the nazees were xD"
But thats what the book is about
>>
entertaining
>>
>>279136
>America is divided into Nazis/Japan
>Somebody actually believed NAZIS/JAPS ARE OUT TO GET THE WORLD bullshit
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>279208
I remember watching the pilot some time ago, so I'll give it a go.
Are there any other amazon TV shows, anyway? If so, are they good?
>>
>>279236
>Are there any other amazon TV shows, anyway? If so, are they good
Not that I've seen really. I just signed up for it a year and a half ago thinking it would be good for filling in gaps left in Netflix's library but until yesterday I honestly forgot I was even a member. MitHC is pretty solid so far, but after I'm through with it I might cancel my subscription desu senpai
>>
File: rockwell_portrait1.jpg (66 KB, 288x355) Image search: [Google]
rockwell_portrait1.jpg
66 KB, 288x355
Cancer.
It's unlikely there could be a Hitler controlled America. At best there could be a Hitler backed revolution to install someone like George Rockwell as a pro-Nazi government.

Japanese side seems more realistic though, but not enough brutality under Jap rule.
>>
>>279136
It's pretty bad. It's just capeshit level "alternate history" shit.
>>
>>279209
Sure, but that wasn't the whole of the book. The book presented some intestine philosophical points, which were related with some of Dick's other works.
>>
File: Guns_of_the_south.jpg (57 KB, 298x475) Image search: [Google]
Guns_of_the_south.jpg
57 KB, 298x475
Harry Turtledove is better as alternative history
>>
File: Axis Victory map.png (913 KB, 4974x2519) Image search: [Google]
Axis Victory map.png
913 KB, 4974x2519
>>279235
>Somebody actually believed NAZIS/JAPS ARE OUT TO GET THE WORLD bullshit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_power_negotiations_on_the_division_of_Asia_during_World_War_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere#Projected_territorial_extent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Investigation_of_Global_Policy_with_the_Yamato_Race_as_Nucleus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural_Mountains_in_Nazi_planning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Order_(Nazism)#Plans_for_other_parts_of_the_world_outside_Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_foreign_policy_debate#Continentalists_vs._globalists

Pic related is actually well-researched and based on historical documents.
>>
>>279460
That guy is amazingly autistic really:

http://totentanz0.deviantart.com/art/Breitspurbahn-Daitoa-Jukan-Tetsudo-399573466
http://totentanz0.deviantart.com/art/Greater-East-Asia-Co-Prosperity-Sphere-284263212
http://totentanz0.deviantart.com/art/Neuordnung-Europas-271822691
>>
>>279460
>Deviantart

Also the Greater East Asian Prosperity is more of an economic/political hegemony than Japan actually making provinces out of those lands. Only Germans were interested in Empire but even then its fucking just within Europe.

Everything else is propaganda.
>>
>>279655
>Also the Greater East Asian Prosperity is more of an economic/political hegemony than Japan actually making provinces out of those lands.
Well of course. You're attacking a strawman.

>Only Germans were interested in Empire
What the fuck?
>>
When the jap guy mentions zyklon b in the second episode that rustled me a bit. Surely they would be using something a bit cleaner by now after 20 years, nerve gas or carbon monoxide or something
>>
>>279741
If it ain't broke why fix it?
>>
>>279655
Did you read none of his links?
>>
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 750x1334
>>279741
There's quite a few inconsistencies in the show actually. I'm on episode 4 and Frank just went to the antique store to try and buy bullets. This isn't really a spoiler, but the owner tells him to close the door and says in a really hushed tone that he only has three and they're going to cost... BUM BUM BUUUUUUM THREE HUNDRED YEN!?!

I had to look it up, but that's cheaper than they are now. Fucking hack writers.
>>
>>279831
The writers know nothing about Japan or Japanese culture.
>>
>>279831
You're forgetting that the Yen is probably stronger in this setting.
>>
>>279136
I think the pilot came out for free a year ago and there are still people just now hearing about the show
>>
>>279838
>hirohito airport
>>
The book won the Hugo Award for best science fiction novel in 1962. The best edition is the Library of America "Four Novels of the 1960s" because it has good footnotes that will save you a lot of time.
>>
>>279892
>Teikoku Hotel
>>
>>279235

Forget out to get the world.

Let's take total leave of our senses and figure that the Axis somehow managed to force both the USSR and the Commonwealth to surrender. They're still not likely to be able to match U.S. industrialization or manpower, let alone mount a transcontinental invasion.

The idea of the Axis beating the U.S. is simply ludicrous.
>>
>>279955
>The assassination of US President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 led to the weak governments of John Nance Garner (formerly FDR's Vice President), and subsequently of Republican John W. Bricker in 1941. Both politicians failed to lead the country to recovery from the Great Depression and also maintained the country's isolationist policy against participating in World War II; thus, the US had insufficient military capabilities to assist the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union against Nazi Germany, or to defend itself against Japan in the Pacific. The Nazis then conquered the Soviet Union and then exterminated most of its Slavic peoples; allowing a few to live in reservations. In the Pacific, the Japanese destroyed the entire US Navy fleet in a decisive, definitive attack on Pearl Harbor, then conquered Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania during the early 1940s. Afterward, the Axis Powers, attacking from opposite coasts, conquered the coastal US and, by 1947, the US and other remaining Allied forces had all surrendered to the Axis.
>>
File: image.jpg (626 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
626 KB, 1920x1200
>>279980
Well, shit.
>>
>>279980

Yes, absolutely all of that is horseshit.

> The Nazis then conquered the Soviet Union

With what logistical tail? Moscow was defended before the U.S. started Lend-Lease to the Soviets, and even by Stalingrad, a lot of stuff hadn't made it through yet.

You can make a pretty good case that the SOviets wouldn't have been able to counterattack without U.S. aid, but the Germans pushing them over? Hah. And how are they going to pull a sealion off?

>In the Pacific, the Japanese destroyed the entire US Navy fleet in a decisive, definitive attack on Pearl Harbor

On December 7th, 1941, the U.S. had the following number of capital ships, defining a capital ship as any cruiser or heavier vessel.

7 carrier vessels
16 Battleships,
42 cruisers.

This does not count vessels under partially completed construction.

Pearl Harbor was historically the home to

2 carriers .(Lexington and the Enterprise)
8 Battleships, ( Arizona, California, Maryland, Nevada, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennesee, and the West Virginia)
7 Cruisers (New Orleans, St Louis, Detroit, Helena, Honolulu, Phoenix, and the Raleigh)

It's not even possible to destroy the U.S. fleet at Pearl harbor, even if you got astoundingly lucky and sank literally every single ship stationed there. And an isolationist government wouldn't move the fleet to Pearl harbor anyway, since the move there was to ratchet up things, send an aggressive message to the Japanese.

Plus, once war began, the U.S. would go into shipbuilding mode in full gear.

>then conquered Hawaii

3,000 kilometer invasions are easy!

Cont.
>>
>>279980
>>280054

>Afterward, the Axis Powers, attacking from opposite coasts, conquered the coastal US

After spending how many years necessary building up a colossal fucking fleet to be able to carry troops across the Atlantic and the Pacific, nevermind what would be necessary to build forces to protect them, while apparently the U.S. spent that entire time, with the single largest industrial base in the world by a huge margin, its proverbial thumb so far up its proverbial ass that it does nothing to mobilize for this threat even though it would be trivially easy to do so.

The entire notion is laughable.
>>
The TV adaptation appears to be retarded. The book was actually fantastic despite the laughable premise, since the occupation served mostly as a background for philosophy rather than being a serious exploration of alternative history.
>>
>>279136

They are going to absolutely butcher the story. They are going to make a Jew the hero who gets the Aryan blonde girl, they kill a million billions Germans excuse me I mean Nazi's and Japanese free America hoooray!

I'm sticking to the book and not watching this shit, they have butchered almost every adaption of Philip K Dicks stories. Besides Blade Runner it's all be utter shit compared to the original books they are supposedly base on and out of respect to Phillip K one of my all time favorites I'm not watching this shit.

Jews=Good
Germans=Bad
Japanese=misunderstood but still bad
American Goys=useful idiots and sex toys
>>
Its a good program but instead of subtly showing that the Nazi's won, they just slapped a swastika on EVERYTHING, it gets a bit ridiculous when they are putting it on just random pay phones etc
>>
>>280234
>they just slapped a swastika on EVERYTHING, it gets a bit ridiculous when they are putting it on just random pay phones etc

That's....exactly what Nazi Germany actually looked like.
>>
>>280289
fair enough
>>
>>280085
>laughable premise

>Japan and Germany winning WW2 is a laughable premise despite the fact that it literally could've happened

Okay.
>>
>>280054
>>280059
here's a reply for your autism Jimmy.
>>
The book is fantastic
>>
>>283107
i appreciated his effort tbqh, autism or not
>>
>>283131
that's why I gave him a reply but arguing against the premise of a very famous 50 years old alternate history book is just assburgers.
>>
>>283091
>it literally could've happened
haha
>>
>>280059
You are fucking retarded. An invasion of the US was certainly feasable, especially in a scenario where the US is still in the middle of the depreasion since FDR was assassinated.

>fun fact: all US eastern seaboard defenses were on an alert where a possible axis Invasion was "likely" until 1943.
>>
>>279136
I don't remember there being so many gunfights in the book.
In fact I only remember the one very brief segment where the japanese man shoots two men to protect one.
The majority of the book was about very mundane things.
>>
>LE NAZIS WANTED TO KILL ALL SLAVS
>LE GENOCIDE EVERYWHERE NAZI SALUTES EVERY 3 SECONDS
>SOOOOO EEEEEEVUUUL

Didn't watch the series, but judging from the book alone, it's shit. Also PKD was a retard.
>>
>>283452
>the nazis were the good guys!
>>
>>279153
How?

I'm curious and haven't seen it.
>>
>>283655
>the nazis were cartoon villains
>>
>>283167

Germany historically never developed enough sealift to pull more than 2 divisions at a time. D-Day involved landing 5 divisions across a distance of the English channel.

Even a "depressed" America (which would largely vanish if wartime demand started spiking) would be able to mobilize hundreds of divisions. To be able to invade somewhere and last a day against counterattacks ,even assuming you somehow managed to completely avoid the forces in the Atlantic would probably require 20-25 divisions at once.

It is in no way feasible.
>>
>>283721
The premise of the book is that Germany developed the atomic bomb anyway, so a full scale invasion wasn't necessary
>>
>>283452
>W-WE JUST WANT TO ENSLAVE THEM
>HITLER WAS A GENIUS REALLY, TRUE HUMBLE ARYAN
>NAZIS WERE GOOD GUYS!!
>>
>>283852
>strawman
>strawman
>strawman

Yawn.
>>
>>283800

And given that first generation atomic bombs wouldn't even blow up single cities, let alone devour entire nations like thermonuclear weapons, it's not going to be a game changer.

late 1945- early 1946 projections of attacks into the Soviet union started to assume the use of nuclear weapons, and decided that they were too few and too weak to stop the USSR from simply smashing its way into western Germany and then France.
Not to mention that interconintental delivery is beyond the reach of 1940s technology, that you'd need heavy bombers (which Germany was never much interested in) and some way of keeping them alive, which means fighter cover, both of which means getting a base in North America to launch your nukes from in the first place.
>>
>>279136
So fucking stupid.
Like the nazis still use Zyklon B and parade around in the same uniforms and shit. The real joke is the world would probably be a lot better off and a lot more peaceful if the Axis had won WW2.
bullshit hollywood propaganda with such blatant bias
>>
>>283859
>tips fedora
>>
>>280085
This, you autistic fucks.
>>
>>283869
Well memed.

>I never said Hitler wanted to enslave Slavs
>I never said Hitler wasn't a fucking retard
>I never said the nazis didn't commit a shitload of war crimes

But keep living in your stupid false dichotomy world.
>>
>>279460
>That lone Funland surrounded by Germans on all sides.
>>
>>279136
>Hearts of Iron AAR
>the book
>>
Why is it that in a show/book about people who can travel between alternate dimensions the idea of an Axis victory is so inplausable?

I agree there is pretty much no way for Germany and Japan to win as absolutely as they do in this scenerio. But it's a weird alternate universe, just roll with it.
>>
>>279178
>Guise look at how bad the nazees were xD
Oh fuck off
>>
File: accsually.png (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
accsually.png
19 KB, 200x200
>>280289
>That's....exactly what Nazi Germany actually looked like.

>meme-ellipsis

>Not knowing that the Nazis were actually very careful about their image and symbols and it's over/misuse. Hence the RZM.

>Taking all your knowledge of NSDAP Germany from parade footage and assuming ordinary life looked like that.
>>
The Jewish boyfriend's "But then I saw this little Japanese boy" speech sounds too much like that fucking monologue from Black Dynamite:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fykFpD6snX0

I'm going to check out the book because the dialogue in this show is too ridiculous.
>>
File: 1401304301181.jpg (37 KB, 471x350) Image search: [Google]
1401304301181.jpg
37 KB, 471x350
>>279136
>Japan isn't a genocidal maniac to the now-defeated imperialist gaijan
>magically liberalize and revere old Americana
its total trash
>>
>>279236
Black Sails is breddy gud family. Not great but worth the subscription fee in my humble opinion
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.