[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good book on modern african military history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1449021838972.jpg (1 MB, 1280x4079) Image search: [Google]
1449021838972.jpg
1 MB, 1280x4079
What's a good book on modern african military history?
>>
>>448671
Hopefully one that's like this screengrab
>>
>>450078
To be honest, there isn't a good military history yet. If you know nothing about the Congo wars right now and want a good introduction, I'd recommend Dancing in the Glory of Monsters. It tells the story of the Congo wars and Rwandan "genocide" through first person accounts almost exclusively. It can be a little bit preachy and off topic, and personally I don't think the author is a very good writer, but nevertheless it's the best introduction to the Congo around at the moment.

If you want to continue reading, then I'd recommend Prunier's Africa's World War.
>>
>>448671
Gunpowder and Colonial Campaigns in Africa
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0069.xml?rskey=S3CV5H&result=4

African Wars of Independence
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0022.xml

Military History (African Studies)
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846733/obo-9780199846733-0146.xml
>>
so the 2nd congo war was the once pro-Rwandan leader of the DRotC vs Rwandan and Ugandan forces?
>>
>>448671
>That feely feel when someone is still posting the words I wrote.

>>450078
A huge chunk of that is from Prunier's Africa's World War.

Be sure to read the end notes. All the good stuff is in the endnotes.

I'm about to read Operation Thunderbolt. It looks kind of pop history, but at least it's some African Military history.

In b4 there's no Africans and it's just Jews all the way down.

>>450444
>so the 2nd congo war was the once pro-Rwandan leader of the DRotC vs Rwandan and Ugandan forces?
Correct. Laurent Kabila was basically a fossilized dog turd from the coldest reachest of the cold war.

The man was so stuck in a time warp, the North Koreans sent a brigade to help prop him up in the Second Congo War.

But before that, in the first Congo war, the Rwandans and Ugandans installed him to make it seem like they weren't blatantly invading Zaire and kicking the shit out of Mobuto.

Then, Kabila starts to get out of line, and they decided, they could destroy Mobuto, they could surely destroy someone they put in themselves.

As describe in OP, it was going well for a few days, but while everyone hated Mobuto and wanted him gone, that wasn't the case for Kabila, and even though no one really LIKED him, they had a use for him (certainly more then a use for a Giant Rwandan/Ugandan co-dominion reaching to the Atlantic). So the Angolans, Zimbabweans, Libyans, Sudanese, Central African Republic, and Namibians pile in, and that's how Africa got it's first giant clusterfuck of a war.
>>
>>450514
You should be proud. Before seeing this thread I never really thought about African history post-colonialism at all, your posts have inspired to read about it in a lot more detail.
>>
>>450514
yeah in all honesty man, it's quite impressive what you did do and it's in my folder of 4chan images and i have stuff from 08 so you will be remembered forever and i did read around and it seems what you have said was true. I hope some faggot makes a reddit post about it and more people know because they should do.
>>
>>450588
>>450595
Thanks guys. Like I said, I should share some stories when I finish Thunderbolt.

I also came across a tidbit I really want to find more about.

So, as I said, the Norks apparently deployed a Brigade during the Second Congo War. They didn't fight (officially) but there was a Brigade deployed.

But I've also found a stray bit about how the North Koreans were so heavily involved in Madagascar that it was called "The Second North Korea," and it's the Armed Forces the DPRK has interfaced with the most since the sino-soviet split.

Madagascar continues to be the land of geographic improbabilities.
>>
>>450694
what are some other african eccentricities that are overlooked? you know, in the past 20th and 21st century?
>>
>>450739
Ah, here's one that westerners rarely understand when they label everything 'tribal conflict'. Tribes are still fluid.

Take the Republic of Congo, which broke into tribal warfare in the 90s. The Republic of Congo is the last place on earth that should have had tribal warfare. It's also an example of how deep a lot of Africa's problems go, and how superficial western solutions usually are.

Because the Republic of Congo was the intellectual powerhouse of Africa. I know that might not sound like much, but it was supposed to be the intellectual and academic center of all of French Africa, an Area larger than the Continental United States, and incorporating countless cultures. You at least need some of the locals to be able to handle the paperwork.

So the Republic of Congo takes to French Academic/Administrative lifestyle. It's the kind of country where you're expected to write a book if you want to be president. And not in the American puff piece style. Even if it's ghost written, you're expected to shit out a dry text on economics or something to show you're a 'serious politician.'

This sort of thing meant that at the time of decolonization, the Republic of Congo was one of the most wealthy, educated and peaceable nations in Africa.

And it was entirely unsustainable. It's got many of the usual African problems under the surface of better statistics: oversized capital, and economy geared solely to work as a piece in a larger economic picture.

How can you be an intellectual and administrative center of countries that are no longer connected to you? You can't, so you just have an over-sized bureaucracy.

And at the same time, no one will every peaceably accept the drop of standard of living this will entail. This is why the 'lol niggers' view of decolonization misses the real tragedy, and why 'western tutelage' only made the problems worse.
>>
File: africa map.png (96 KB, 816x1056) Image search: [Google]
africa map.png
96 KB, 816x1056
>>450810
I know exactly what you mean.

What do you think of the effects of cobalt mining and what are the implications of China's move into the region?
>>
>>450810
The French leave, and what are the leaders of the Congo to do? Tell everyone to stop going to university, stop taking nice middle class income jobs, we don't need more doctors, we need a massive decrease in our expectation of living? Go back to cottage industries and expect to be poor like the rest of Africa?

Nah. Fuck that. Politicians are always there to make things worse. The Republic of Congo has oil. And they don't just start selling and exporting it, they start selling and exporting it's futures, to keep the standard of living.

By the 90s, oil income has all dried up. They're still exporting oil, but they've actually sold all the oil before they dig it up. Now they're just paying debts on it.

And then the familiar story kicks in. Someone says "fuck that, we'll nationalize that shit". Foreign backing for someone who won't nationalize that shit.

A civil war breaks out. And here's where it gets interesting: it breaks down on tribal lines that had been disappearing in the 1960s. When I say disappearing I don't mean like "ethnic tensions are going away" I mean like 'these are an anthropological curiosity that is going to be unobservable soon." No one can tell your tribal identity by anything. Knowing what tribe you 'belong' to is a meaningless statement tracked only by the individual. It had become, in 4chan parlance, 'muh heritage.'

And it's not just that these people suddenly remembered and wanted to kill people over this. Nah, it's clear from accounts that it wasn't tribes forming militias, it was the militias defining tribes.

If you joined and fought for whichever faction, you earned and defined your 'tribal membership' as well as the tribal membership of your spouse, your kids, and your siblings. Even your parents.

The Republic of Congo's civil war pretty much immediately broke down into resource scarcity. Not just of oil, but of jobs and of taxes.
>>
>>450858
People in the 'winning' tribe would get the spoils, and people in the 'losing' tribe would be impoverished.

It would be as if, following a huge crash in the standard of living in America, some Fallout style Post-Apocalypse, the city of New York split itself into a conflict between "Irish" "Italians" and "WASPs".

Virtually any New Yorker could claim to be any of these. And they have just enough 'reality' to offer some emotional context for the conflict. But at the same time, picking a side is the only thing that makes these things matter.

And that just gets swept under 'civil war happened because of tribal tensions' when it makes the news.
>>
>>450810
>>450858
>>450878

Thanks for this man, I've become incredibly interested in African politics, society and military lately and it's so hard to find anything to read about it.

Do you have much else you can share? I'd appreciate it greatly.
>>
File: Congo Civil War.jpg (243 KB, 1242x907) Image search: [Google]
Congo Civil War.jpg
243 KB, 1242x907
>>450944
Me too, I just screenshot this thing and saved OP's pic. Here, in case you want the pic of this guy-s words, here you have it. Also, check out these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoaqRaIcT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5JDa2OdVoc&list=PLD6AC8E04915265CA&index=17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYUKP4MlNMM&list=PLD6AC8E04915265CA&index=21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusDmgDJE1Y&list=PLD6AC8E04915265CA&index=27
Shame the guy onl has on vid on sub-saharan Africa, but he's absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>450988

Thanks for this, I'll check them out later. I don't think this thread will vanish any time soon.
>>
anyone know much about the boer war?
>>
>>450694
Could you please gib some more info about Tanzanian Korea?
>>
Remember when 30,000 niggers in toyotas with rusting Aks defeated a force of 100,000 semi modernized and air capable Arabs?
>>
>>451318
Trying to but uh...yeah, English language sources on the military history of Madagascar are basically nill.
>>
>>451321
story ?
>>
>>451571
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

Embarrassing is a complete understatement.
>>
>>450988

>CaspianReport

muh niger
>>
This thread is diamonds. Learning so much. Thanks.
>>
>>451321
It's Arabs man, literally incapable of fighting.
>>
>>451321
>>451623
>>451840
I read this a while ago, if you haven't read it you may find it interesting. Basically just details why arab armies are so incompetent at war. It was written 1999 though, so some of the references aren't recent.

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.