[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the greatest work of art of this century so far?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: 2.jpg (64 KB, 480x478) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
64 KB, 480x478
What's the greatest work of art of this century so far?
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/sep/11/arts.september11
>>
File: 1450726104918.jpg (64 KB, 563x520) Image search: [Google]
1450726104918.jpg
64 KB, 563x520
>>445039
>>
>>445045
[The attacks of 9/11 were] the greatest work of art imaginable for the whole cosmos. Minds achieving something in an act that we couldn't even dream of in music, people rehearsing like mad for 10 years, preparing fanatically fora concert, and then dying, just imagine what happened there. You have people who are that focused on a performance and then 5,000 [sic] people are dispatched to the afterlife, in a single moment. I couldn't do that. By comparison, we composers are nothing. Artists, too,sometimes try to go beyond the limits of what is feasible and conceivable, so that we wake up, so that we open ourselves to another world. […] It's a crime because those involved didn't consent. They didn't come to the 'concert.'That's obvious. And no one announced that they risked losing their lives. What happened in spiritual terms, the leap out of security, out of what is usually taken for granted, out of life, that sometimes happens to a smal lextent in art, too, otherwise art is nothing. -Karlheinz Stockhausen
>>
>>445063
I can see how killing people can be art, but in case of 9/11 I don't think it's valid.
>>
>>445072
Terrorism is more like art than other killings because the entire purpose is to provoke an emotional response.
Anarchists called their terrorism "propagands of the deed" for a reason
>>
>>446769
Art is pure intellect. I don't think terrorism is intellectual.
>>
>>446842
>Terrorism is bad! It can't be art!
>>
>>446886
I did say I can see how killing people can be art, didn't I.
>>
>>445063
>>446769
It's interesting, I have never considered terrorism as a form of art. But it does make sense, religious terrorist acts are extremely powerful and concise messages with a holy power behind it, that also demands a dear sacrifice. If you count it as art and not a business then I'd agree, 9/11 is the greatest work of art of the 21st century.
>>
>>446937
>extremely powerful and concise messages with a holy power behind it, that also demands a dear sacrifice

That doesn't make it art.
>>
>>
File: 2666.jpg (65 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
2666.jpg
65 KB, 333x500
>>
>>447014
Greatest book so far? Probably. Greatest art? Eh...
>>
https://youtu.be/DJ70bZsqaC4

This maybe. It's pretty awesome for modern music
>>
Yuri Kuma Arashi
>>
>>445039
>>445063
>>446842
He's right though.

Terrorism has replaced art in influencing people's psyche. Terrorism absolutely IS intellectual in the sense that all people think about is terrorism. No artwork is enough to challenge the power of terrorism. And no one gives a shit about art, let's be honest.

Bill Gray was right.Beckett was the last artist before terrorism replaced art."

The future belongs to crowds.
>>
Why are burgers still this assmad about a bunch of people getting killed 14 years ago?
>>
>>447287
>Beckett was the last artist before terrorism replaced art.

What in the actual fuck??? o.O
>>
the opening scene of the dark knight rises
>>
>>447296
Das rite!

Beckett was the last artist to have a meaningful impact as far as the artist can have.

The rest are meme artists desperately trying to maintain relevance in a world that is more influenced by and obsessed with terrorism.
>>
>>446769
Define 'art'
>>
File: mbdtf.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mbdtf.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
>>445021
>>
>>447370
Lil B is better art.
>>
File: prop.jpg (21 KB, 851x352) Image search: [Google]
prop.jpg
21 KB, 851x352
This 2bh pham
>>
File: lindseycandacebailey.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lindseycandacebailey.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
>>447297

for you
>>
File: finnish man.jpg (108 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
finnish man.jpg
108 KB, 1024x683
>>447297
This
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.