[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>''People have this [type of behavior] because of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1371755217884.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1371755217884.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>''People have this [type of behavior] because of [theory]''
>''But I don't''
>''Y-yeah w-well you're just an o-outlier! Or maybe y-you do and y-you just don't r-realize it!''

Please tell me why I should take soft sciences seriously, I'm all ears.
>>
>>278569

Had you taken them seriously you could be reading something about them instead of posting it, and I would not have to see your thread.
>>
>>278580
This is literally the same type of behavior I see from anyone from that field.
If you don't have a good way to dispute counter-arguments, your ''study'' is a fucking sham.
>>
Please explain why we should take your vague shitpost seriously.
>>
>>278645
see >>278643

saying ''you're an exception'' without explaining why the exception exists in the first place is not proper disputing, it's literally sweeping the counter-argument under a rug
>>
>people from Africa are generally poor
>"but I'm African and I'm rich"

Guess they're not poor then.
>>
>>278710
the difference is that the exception here can be properly explained
>>
>>278569
People who studied worthless degrees need to feel validated
>>
-Smoking tends to lower your life expectancy
-But my friend's grandma smoke all her life and is more than 90 years old
- That's an outlier

Does that mean you shouldn't take medicine seriously?
>>
>>279754
see >>278778 >>278700
>>
>>279776
>>278778

And what case of a soft science saying >>278569 but not providing an explanation can you offer? Or maybe you didn't bothered to find why you're the exception.
>>
>>279784
Literally anything related to psychology
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-21-13-18-30.png (325 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-21-13-18-30.png
325 KB, 1440x2560
>>278569
Go away buttmad women.
>>
>>279796
This is not the biggest problem in psychology.

The biggest problems in psychology are two:

1- Publication bias
2- Ideology
>>
>>279796
Well, here I can't say shit to defend it, no idea about psychology t.b.h.
>>
>>279804
What?
>>279820
I guess you're right about that, so many fucking political agendas being pushed.
>>
>>278569
You can think of behaviorism as math. There's classical math, which works perfectly on paper, and then there's real world math with calculus and derivatives and everything that makes it applicable.

The difference is that we haven't discovered "derivatives" in behaviorism yet, mostly because behavior is so complex and continuously affected by a near infinite amount of factors, but the basis IS there (contingencies and conditioning) and we are slowly working towards something ever more useful
>>
>>279893
I think a proper methods that truly works needs to be developed first.
>>
>>279900
The rat doesn't lie, it does work.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.