[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iliad and Odyssey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: true men.jpg (18 KB, 584x224) Image search: [Google]
true men.jpg
18 KB, 584x224
Can anyone tell me about any reasonable medium to get to know these two tales?
Maybe I should ask this in /lit/ instead, though I'm not only restricted into reading.
>>
>>277949
Just fucking read the Penguin Classic version.

Make sure you have a glossary near you while reading it so you can get the sick mythological references.
>>
>>277949

DEFINE "REASONABLE MEDIUM".
>>
>>277995
>Penguin Classic version.
Fucking maximum overpleb. Reading a prose version. Choking on my own rage here
>>
>>278031
REASONABLE, SOMETHING A COMMON HISTORYPLEBEIAN COULD GET AROUND HIS HEAD, SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE MOVIE.
>>
>>277995
I disagree, the translation does make a significant difference on the work. It can be very different.

Robert Fagles' translation is well known but I know a guy who's read numerous translations and he really hates it. I didn't like it either, it lacked a sense of rhythm

I have translation by stanley lombardo, it's pretty good, there's a strong focus on Homer's descriptions and trying to emphasize them.

Example Robert Fagles Book 1, second page.

Poseidon had gone to visit the Ethiopians worlds away,
Ethiopians off at the farthest limits of mankind,
a people split in two, one part where the Sungod sets
and part where the Sungod rises. There Poseidon went
to receive an offering, bulls and rams by the hundred -
far away at the feast of the Sea – lord sat and took his pleasure

Same passage by Lombardo

But Poseidon was away now, among the Ethiopians,
Those burnished people at the ends of the earth-
Some near the sunset, some near the sunrise
To receive a grand sacrifice of rams and bulls. There he sat, enjoying the feast
>>
>>278031
Something a light reader can easily undertand and finish.
>>
>>278125

DO NOT BOTHER THEN; "YOUNG ADULT" FICTION WOULD BE BETTER SUITED TO YOUR CAPACITIES.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-06-23-01h52m04s204.png (361 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-06-23-01h52m04s204.png
361 KB, 640x480
>>277949
I like Robert Fitzgerald's Iliad. But that's probably because his translation of The Aeneid got me into classics.

His translations are clean and accurate.

Fagle is alright.
>>
File: 1414104562083.jpg (55 KB, 691x470) Image search: [Google]
1414104562083.jpg
55 KB, 691x470
>>278086
>reading a hamfisted rhyming version

Holy shit, there truly are retards out there.
>>
>>277949
Just learn ancient Greek and buy the books
>>
You should avoid English translations, English is shite.
>>
>>278120
Lombardo has a shorter and more movement to the passage, and it's less wordy. But to each man his own. I really recomend reading a variety if you really like Homer's work. Also there's numerous really old translations you can probably find online. You don't have to buy this book.

Surpisingly enough, I do really enjoy Robert Fagles' translation of the Aeneid, it' has these moments in the verse that are so graphic, it's fucking awesome. The Fitzgerald translation in comparison lacks the same punch in descriptive power.

For example the Fitzgerald translation

With this,
To the altar step itself he dragged him trembling,
Slipping in the pooled blood of his son,
and took him by the hair with his left hand
The sword flashed in his right, up to the hilt,
He thrust it in his body

Fagles
That he said, he drags the old man
straight to the altar, quaking, slithering on through
slicks of his sons blood, and twisting Priam's hair
in his left hand, his right hand sweeping forth his sword-
a flash of steel - he buries it hilt -deep in the king's flank

From book 2
>>
>>278186
Sorry to mention where in book 2, it's pretty long, It's around verses 680-700 ish range, some variations in different translations.
>>
the only valid versions are the ones from Loeb, because they stay really close to literal meanings.

having greek-english side by side is an extra bonus.
>>
>>278186
So far, book 2 is the best, it's Aeneas's acount of the sack of Troy, not favorable towards Greeks, but it's entertaining
>>
Some at classics professor I was talking to recommended the Richard Lattimore translations to me. What do you guys think?
>>
>>278273
>>278256
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll read these
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.