[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were the Belgians so evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
Why were the Belgians so evil?
>>
>>27630
Money.
>>
>>27630

they share a border with the Dutch
>>
belgium isn't a real country
>>
File: 1440351947980.jpg (172 KB, 400x506) Image search: [Google]
1440351947980.jpg
172 KB, 400x506
>muh hands
>>
>>27630
They weren't evil. They acted in accordance with their own rational self-interest.

>capitalism
>morality

Absolute kek
>>
>>28181
Proving Belgians are literally lost muslims
>>
>>27630
Why are blacks more evil and stupid than anyone else ever
>>
How else can you stop a primitive people from stealing things?
>>
>>28226

They didn't cut off his hand for stealing, they cut it off because he didn't meet his rubber quota.
>>
>>28341
>muh worker's rights
>muh exploitation
>>
>>28222
I know alot of blacks who are smarter than you, judging by that post
>>
>>28341

Really inefficient use of work force.
>>
Were they that much worse than any other other European colonizator?
>>
Is this picture altered? One of the creepiest things I've seen in a while. He looks inhuman.
>>
>>28432
Yes. A lot.
>>
File: 1419006079576.gif (131 KB, 299x227) Image search: [Google]
1419006079576.gif
131 KB, 299x227
>>27630
Profit.

>>28503
Considering it was taken in the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th, probably not.
>>
>>28407
Impossible. I'm redpilled.
>>
>>28584

It was kind of a rhetorical question, I'm just blown away by how creepy that photo is. He looks like a fucking embalmed corpse. Jesus Christ. That shit is straight out of a horror movie.
>>
Fun fact: Belgium never commit any atrocity in its colonies
Congo Freestate was a separate nation in personal union with Belgium through a common monarch (Leopold II), not a colony.
Also interesting is that the vast majority of the militia employed by Leopold II were local folks, not white europeans.

I'd say the Berlin Conference giving absolute control over a large area of inhabited land to a person with apparently zero morals was a much larger contribution to the atrocities that happened than anything Belgium ever did. Though must be said Leopold II's manipulation of every country and leader present was impressive.
>>
So we /socialjusticewarrior/ now?
>>
>>28341
>he didn't work hard enough
>let's cut off his hand so he can't work anymore
>>
>>28740
>feeling empathy means you're a social justice warrior now
get a load of this faggot
>>
>>28777
muh morals = muh feels
muh feels = leftists
leftists = SJW
SJW = women and gays
>>
>>28740

It's kind of incredible how much stupidity /pol/ manages to cram into so few words. You guys have mastered the art of revealing your deranged, deformed personalities, your lesser intellects, and your thorough brainwashing all in the space of what barely constitutes a sentence fragment.

Literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my life and it's 6 words.
>>
>>28758
Doubt he even cared about the so called "uncivilized people" in the Dark Continent, they had them by the millions
>>
>>27630
You can get a lot of shit done when you want it badly enough and don't give a shit about the people under you. That doesn't necessarily mean that the stuff that got done was beneficial for the Congolese people, or even Leopold's profit margins really. But hey, you have to admire a boss with a hands off approach for his workers, right?
>>
File: media_xl_27141.jpg (45 KB, 468x312) Image search: [Google]
media_xl_27141.jpg
45 KB, 468x312
>>28857
In belgium we still celebrate his visionary leadership
>>
>>28432
>Here's a state where everyone can do whatever the fuck he wants, also, all the inhabitants are available for torture
I quote my Modern Era teacher 'Leopold was practically Hitler before Hitler', meaning the way we have Hitler as a reference point of pure evil, they had Leopold.
>>
File: 911.jpg (115 KB, 708x598) Image search: [Google]
911.jpg
115 KB, 708x598
>>28173
t. Farage
>>
>>28777
>>28814
>/pol/ btfo
Please keep this up /his/. Don't let this board turn shit.
>>
>>28868
This is incredibly morbid. Why is there no UN commission for this shit? Zwarte Piet who?
>>
>/his/ is not /pol/, and Global Rule #3 is in effect. Do not try to treat this board as /pol/ with dates. Blatant racism and trolling will not be tolerated, and a high level of discourse is expected.
>>
File: cDkZ21k.jpg (361 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
cDkZ21k.jpg
361 KB, 2272x1704
>>28896
Statue of Leopold II, plaque reads "dedicated to Leopold II for freeing the congolese people from the Arab slavers"
and yes those are admiring congolese citizens on his left, why'd you ask?
>>
>>28868
> Druon Antigoon

This has nothing to do with the Congo retard
>>
File: Leopold_ii.jpg (53 KB, 400x599) Image search: [Google]
Leopold_ii.jpg
53 KB, 400x599
>>28960
Didn't some dumb Leftists cut off the hands on the statues? Whatever.

Ma conscience est claire.
>>
>>28960
Lmao holy shit were they forreal
>>
>>28432
I remember reading about how the atrocities committed in the Belgian Congo were often trumped up by the other colonizing countries as a way to distract the public from their own colonizing atrocities. Britain did this a lot, and Germany just as much, to distract from the genocide of the Nambians in the early 20th century. Quite interesting to read about that actually, one of the 20th century's first and least well known genocides, killed about 60,000 Namibians, with the sole directive being to kill all civilians seen and drive off any escapees into the desert to starve. There are books written about the continuity between this genocide of the Second Reich with that of the Third Reich, both of which employed concentration camps and even some of the same officers. Bit off topic but quite interesting.
>>
>>28975
100% aware of that, its from my home city after all
its just a fun picture to post whenever Leopold II gets mentioned
Its not like anyone abroad knows about Antwerp's naming myth
>>
>>27630
That picture is somewhere in between uncanny valley and terrifying. Just look at that Belgian guys face.
>>
>>28790
Fuck off man, if a black guy had cut off a white guy's hand and took a photo of it you would've lost your shit and make some theory about how the jews were behind it
>>
>>28216
In Saudi Arabia at least it's a punishment for stealing. afaik the Belgian version was because you weren't producing enough rubber for them.
>>
>>29009
yeh they did
though if you wanna go deface everything Leopold II related in Belgium you've got a long way to go, probably starting with our africa museum
>>
>>27630
literally the only time our southern neighbours did something good.

Other than that they're just keks who can't realise they're still the SOUTHERN NETHERLANDS.
>>
>>28960
I heard about this in class, apparently the tour-guides are proper up his ass as well, and if you ask a critical question or bring up any of the actual events they just frown at you and move on. It's so eerie up that the same dynasty is still in charge as well.
>>
>>29067
Another reason it was used was by the local mercs. Whenever they fired a shot their pay was reduced unless they could prove they actually hit something.
So if they shot and missed they'd just go cut off some feller's hand and present that as being proof of their kill.
>>
>>29067
I never understood that logic
>Hey you aren't working hard enough! Time to cut off your hands so you can't work at all!
>>
>>28432
Yeah.
They were considered bloodthirsty maniacs by the rest of Europe, even more so than the Germans or the Turks
>>
>>28740
That's some bullshit. I'm conservative, but that doesn't mean I'm alright with people committing atrocities.
>>
>>28869
Although Hitler actually did what he thought was best for his country and people while Leopold was just an asshole who masskilled people because he didn't give a fuck
>>
>>29122
Albert I, the king directly his successor was pretty god damn awesome. During WWI when the entire government fled the country he stayed behind and led the troops from the front lines and organized much of the efforts that turned Germany's Belgian campaign from a 2 day blitzkrieg into a 3 month slog giving France ample time to prepare.
So the dynasty earned the right to stay then and there imho.
>>
Wasn't "Belgian" Congo not so bad, but Leopold's personal holdings in the area where all this Heart of Darkness stuff comes from?
>>
>>29188
Leopold II was essentially a good old imperialistic monarch born in the wrong country at the wrong time and fairly frustrated about it.
Heck not to long ago historians found out that he HAD been planning an invasion of the Netherlands pretty much all his life, just never executed the plan cause the French threatened to invade him if he pulled that stunt.
>>
>>28814
truth that senpai
>>
>>29231
Do you really think that conservatism is the same as nutty Randian shit? Fuck you. You're the reason people think of conservatives as morally bankrupt edgelords.
>>
>>29225
I actually don't know that much about the rule of the Belgians in the Congo. I mean we know Leopold fucked everyone, and I've read that when the Belgians left, they didn't really leave the best power structure behind them. But I've got nothing on their intermediate rule except it was better than Leopold's which is basically like saying it was better than being ruled by a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
>>
So who WAS the best country to be colonised by?
>>
File: 1435512857803.png (610 KB, 1544x2400) Image search: [Google]
1435512857803.png
610 KB, 1544x2400
>>29326
Yes, I'm morally bankrupt by Leftist standards of morality. However, I reject that Leftist morality.
>>
>>29355
France or Poland, the North Africans and Ukrainians had it pretty good.
>>
>>29377
"Leftist standards of morality" and "don't chop the hands off of negroes you absolute fucking madman" are quite different.
>>
>>29331
well even today a majority of Congo's infrastructure was build by the Belgians
But on the other hand they (and the USA) did assassinate their chosen leader when they separated and instead put a loyal dictator in charge who fucked everything up in the latter half of the 20th century
>>
>>29355
I'm guessing either the British or the French
>>
Didn't Leo basically depopulate the whole freaking country? Something like killed off half the population.
>>
>>29355
Britain, without a doubt. As long as you don't mind whit neighbors.
>>
Are people really arguing that feeling disgust at someone chopping off someone else's hand equals being a dirty morally corrupt leftist? Man, how low has the alt-right sunk.
>>
>>29377

You're embarrassing yourself mate. Please take your edges back to /pol/. You're not some grand philosopher like you think.
>>
>>29388
Yeah, cause Algeria had a great time getting France to let go.
>>
>>29404
Yes, because Belgians are responsible for the actions of local mercenaries 1000's of miles away.
>>
>>29538
Eh, that's just silly natives not knowing what's good for them.
>>
>>29538
Literally every Algerian I know who is old enough to remember French colonization now regrets it. If you speak French or Arabic, you may want to check out the locally famous stand-up comedian known as Fellag, in one of his skits he basically goes like "The Romans came in, we threw them out, the British came in, we threw them out, the French came in, we threw them out... sorry about that, by the way."
>>
Don't blame the Belgians. They were outraged. Blame the King
>>
>>27630
Has anyone here read this. I picked it up on a whim one day and really don't know enough about the Congo to say whether it holds up as accurate.

>>29388
France was pretty decent, at least for the Native Americans anyway. I think things would have turned out a lot better for them in the long run if it wasn't for the Haitian revolution.
>>
>>28814
holy shit
>>
>>29566
The whole "Europe improved Africa with colonisation" thing is bullshit, colonisation wasn't some kind of charity project, the Europeans wanted free resources and soldiers
>>
>>29377
Are you 12 or just retarded, with your particular blend of stupidity and edginess I'm having difficulty figuring it out.
>>
>>29592
...not really
when some englishman wanted to assassinate leopold II, the police needed a large force just to prevent the locals from lynching him on the spot
>>
>>29614
Oh now you're just memeing, lad. It wasn't their goal to improve life in their colonies, but it happened as a byproduct.
>>
>>27630
>evil
Fuck off back to /pol/. Historical metanarratives that are justifiable are about is, not ought. Read Hume and die in a fucking fire.
>>
File: 1356344773114.jpg (92 KB, 287x360) Image search: [Google]
1356344773114.jpg
92 KB, 287x360
>>28814
Damn son, I take my hat to you.
>>
>>29525
I don't think /pol/-posters award blacks with moral dignity or status as human beings.
>>
>>29525
Thank /pol/ for that, they are basically tumblr with opposite political views
>>
>>29684
Exactly. And it's fucking terrifying to see human beings exhibit that degree of self imposed stupidity.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.