[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carthage general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12
File: carthage.jpg (138 KB, 890x594) Image search: [Google]
carthage.jpg
138 KB, 890x594
Did Carthage really sacrifice babies, or was this just something the Romans said to make them seem worse than they were?
>>
We already had this thread earlier you Carthage apologists
>>
>>276178
I'm just trying to be certain. Can you point me to non-Roman accounts of baby sacrifice?
>>
>>276185
No, because there werent any.
Sacrificing babies is a stupid tradition, it goes against very basic human instincts and results in negative growth.
Most rituals and traditions of the time would be the exact opposite.
>>
>>276173
Baby killing is a very traditional italian propaganda accusation, so the romans probably made that up
>jews eat babies
>commies eat babies
>punics eat babies
>erryone who disagrees eats babies
>>
>>276398

People do stupid things, especially so before an age when you could easily verify claims. It's not far-fetched to believe in child sacrifice especially when religion is involved. The Punic pantheon had no shortage of evil gods that worked on appeasement.
>>
Third Punic War was pointless as hell. I understand that Carthage was getting back up again, but couldn't the Romans just made Carthage a province with all that wealth? An anon had already mentioned this.
>>
File: Bacchus.jpg (76 KB, 452x298) Image search: [Google]
Bacchus.jpg
76 KB, 452x298
>>276398
>Sacrificing babies is a stupid tradition, i
America has had about 50 million abortions, you hypocrites, you baby murderers, how can you judge Carthage when your crimes are a 1000 times manifold.

America is a murderer.
>>
Carthago delenda est
>>
>>276782
>giving birth to a baby and then killing it as a gift to the gods
>the same as refusing to give birth in the first place

You are so indoctrinated, its disgusting.
>>
File: herewegoagain.png (22 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
herewegoagain.png
22 KB, 207x239
>ITT
>>
>>276811
project much baby murderer

> PRO LIFE
> PRO MURDER

Pick one and only one.
>>
>>276821
I havent actually had an abortion, so you can quit your shit flinging.
Equating abortion to sacrificing newborns is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>276788
I love how /his/ has the oldest memes
>>
>>276782
>Caring about abortion
>Pretending you're not American

Pick one.
>>
>>276839
Seeing how right now in Poland it is fashionable and in vogue to pretend to be as right and as traditionalist and conservative as possible, it wouldnt surprise me if he was polish.
But yeah, other than that he must be an american who tries to get american on every issue he tackles.
>>
File: vl.jpg (82 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
vl.jpg
82 KB, 680x680
>>276831
> Equating abortion to sacrificing newborns is absolutely retarded.

I would say cutting open a woman or forcing labour is much worse an act. You never even gave it a chance, you killed it before it could defend itself.
>>
File: poe is looking at your butt.jpg (34 KB, 528x198) Image search: [Google]
poe is looking at your butt.jpg
34 KB, 528x198
>>276863
Fuck off back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>276173
Well, infanticide was commom in the ancient world. It was very frequent that families killed defective babies. In Sparta this was even managed by the State while in other Greek cities this was a family matter.

Still, it does not seem to be the case that this custom was incorporated as an religion tradition. But maybe was it in Carthage?
>>
>>276850
A fetus is nothing but a parasite, not a thinking person with a right to life. A woman is well within her rights to get rid of it.
>>
>>276925

>a parasite

In biological terms, it is not a parasite.
>>
File: imperial roman signifer.jpg (51 KB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
imperial roman signifer.jpg
51 KB, 402x604
REMINDER THAT CARTHAGE FUNDED ALL THREE SAMNITE WARS

REMINDER THAT CARTHAGE DID SICILY

REMINDER THAT CARTHAGE DEMANDED THE SECOND CHILDREN OF THE LIBYAN FAMILIES THEY OPPRESSED AS SEX SLAVES NO MATTER THE SEX
>>
File: abortionCounter.jpg (83 KB, 1184x605) Image search: [Google]
abortionCounter.jpg
83 KB, 1184x605
>>276925

> http://www.numberofabortions.com/
>>
File: baby.jpg (20 KB, 526x178) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
20 KB, 526x178
>>276932
>>276925
I would never use "parasite" myself, as the host can be argued to in a way benefit, as its genetic information is given more longevity with the new organism coming into existence.
Still, it fits, so if you want to get all technical, you can do that.
>>
>>276947
A Fetus doesn't live in the womb, it grows within the womb until it is mature enough to be born, parasites breed within the host, a fetus does not.

growing is not an equality of living

I guess you also eat a raw cake before it goes into the oven?
>>
>>276955
If the fetus doesnt live inside the host, that means its not alive, and thus its okay to remove it surgically and throw it away.
>>
>>276945
So?
>>
>>276947

Again, it doesn't fit.

A parasite cannot be the same species as its host and especially cannot be its offspring since reproduction = good in evolutionary terms.
>>
>>276173
They're just fucking with Carthage. Romans themselves threw loads and loads of unwanted babies into river or gutter.
>>
>>276173
>>276185
>>276398
>>276398
>>276415

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/ancient-cultures/did-the-carthaginians-really-practice-infant-sacrifice/

You faggots, it's been general knowledge for YEARS that Carthage did indeed have infant sacrifce. The archeological evidence is abundant, they've found fucking graves. The scholarly world of antiquity does not doubt for a second that Carthage did sacrifice infants. Under 3 months was the preferred age.

Shills

Roma was just
>>
>>277890
ALSO
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/21/carthaginians-sacrificed-own-children-study

For people who don't trust any link that has bible in it's name. Although biblicalarcheology links several peer reviewed research papers on i.
>>
File: fuckingcarthage.png (116 KB, 631x743) Image search: [Google]
fuckingcarthage.png
116 KB, 631x743
>>277927
>>
File: fuckingcarthage 2.png (476 KB, 619x720) Image search: [Google]
fuckingcarthage 2.png
476 KB, 619x720
>>277940
They've found this shit for years and years, but it's now the final nail is in the coffin, they're sure now, there's too much fucking evidence at this point to resist.

Case fucking closed
>>
>>277948
>>277940
>>277927
>>277890

So it literally took us over 30 posts for someone to post a goddamn reference to a scientific article.

>/his/ - armchair history
>>
>>277948
>>277940

man, all i can think

that place looks like the last part of Dark Messiah: might & magic
>>
File: beatles.png (85 KB, 324x208) Image search: [Google]
beatles.png
85 KB, 324x208
>>277958
>bible history daily
>a scientific article
>>
>>277940
>>277948
>find graveyard
>insist its sacrificial ground

Alright, love.
>>
>>278424

>all babies dead at an exact state of development
>murder gods that explicitly demand appeasement
>>
File: 1447900227911.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447900227911.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>277890
>biblical archaeology
>>
>>277958
>reference to a scientific article
The articles just say "they really did it you guys, they did!", over and over again without actually proving anything.
>>
>>278459
If there is a research of the mud in the Tiber, I am sure there will be a bunch of babies too. Weak babies that tended to die, because lol what is medicine :D
>>
>>278852
Shit sorry I meant to post this on /gsg/ fuck me
>>
>>278852
If you're on a recent patch there's a decision to have the AI distribute holdings for you.

It usually sucks dicks at it, though. You'll get an Ambitious, 30 Intrigue, 2 Stewardship claimant to your primary title as Duke of Thrace.
>>
>>278858
>>278852
Romanboo shitposter discovered.
>>
>>278868
I was trying to delete it but it said I needed to wait longer, fag
>>
>>276947
A fetus is, interestingly enough, not actually a parasite in any sense of the word- including colloquially. Its host provides what it needs to survive and grow, but if the host should suffer a heart attack, for instance, the fetus will help it.
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2011/11/fetal-stem-cells-can-repair-the-mother-during-pregnancy.php

I'm still pro-choice of course, but fetuses are no slouches in giving back.
>>
>>278503
Back to /pol/ you go Dr. Mick.
>>
>>277940
So, first, we have a broad age range of dead infants; jsut under three months which can mean pretty much anything. Secondly, we have some unspecified evidence coming from Rome, Carthage's nemesis. So it may be some compelling evidence hiding behind veils or blatant propaganda. Case far from closed.

On a side note: anyone here know a nice book on Carthage?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.