[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Eastern Orthodoxy lost Constantinople <Roman Catholicism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: Pope John Paul II.jpg (40 KB, 769x600) Image search: [Google]
Pope John Paul II.jpg
40 KB, 769x600
>Eastern Orthodoxy lost Constantinople
<Roman Catholicism has never lost Rome
>>
>>275933
Yes it fucking did
>>
Multiple times
>>
>>275941
Care to name at least 2 (two) occasions in which the Papacy lost control of Rome?
>>
>>275968
Avignon Papacy for one. Also before that it was based out of Umbria for a while and moved around quite a bit.
>>
>>275968
Viterbo Papacy
Orvieto Papacy
Perugia Papacy
Avignon Papacy
Let's see, that is 4 (four). Not antipopes btw.
>>
>>275991
>European aristocratic squabbles are the same as Muslims literally conquering your most Holy City and renaming it Istanbul
>>
>>276024
>Papacy lost control of Rome
Moving the goalposts are we?
>>
>Roman Catholicism conquered Constantinople
>Eastern Orthodoxy never touched rome
>>
>>276031
There was still a Pope in Rome during the Avignon Papacy and he was still Roman Catholic. Hence Roman Catholicism has never lost Rome.
>>
>>276038
>Roman Catholicism raped by Arianism
>Arians never touched Constantinople
>>
>>276045
Lol nope
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
>>
>>276045
Come on m8. This is /his/.
The Avignon antipopes came after the Avignon papacy was over. There was no Pope in Rome from 1257 to 1377. See >>276008
>>
File: meteora-marc-dozier-036.jpg (1 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
meteora-marc-dozier-036.jpg
1 MB, 4288x2848
>>275933
I think the massive amounts of suffering and persecution suffered by the Eastern Orthodox actually lends credibility to it over Catholicism or protestantism.

If one church has a history decorated with passion and martyrdom, and the other is decorated with corruption and sin it's self-evident which is the true church of Christ.
>>
>>276061
Rome was still Catholic during those years.

Not even 1 (one) years has Roman Catholicism lost Rome.

Constantinople was conquered by Muslims and it still is a Muslim city right now.
>>
>>276073
Inability to defend one self does not a martyr make.
>>
attributing worldly success to the truthfulness of divine doctrine is absurd, something refuted in Augustine's City of God.

I know you don't read jack shit, but please do. I will keep you away from posting cringe worthy threads like this.
>>
>>276083
Horseshit. The Ostrogothic Kingdom ruled for ~60 (sixty) years. They were Arians.

So Rome was under the control of Arian Christians, who ALSO sacked Rome 3 (three) times.
>>
>>276088
Actually yes it does, if you're faced with the choice of deny your faith or die and you choose death anyway then you're a martyr.

Life wouldn't be so bad for them if they just converted to Islam without a fight. But they didn't, they endured and sometimes died for their faith.

Unlike Catholics who generally caused suffering.
>>
>>276105
Excuse me I thought that was before the Schism so technically speaking Roman Catholicism (as in 11th century post Schism Roman Catholic Church) still hasn't lost Rome,

Eastern Orthodoxy still lost Constantinople.
>>
>>275933
>Sacrificed yourself on the front line to save the other city from Islam
>This is the thanks you get
Fuck you Rome. If it wasn't for the Byzantines Italy would have been overrun before 1000 AD
>>
>Catholics reconquered Spain
>Orthodox haven't taken Anatolia back yet
Checkmate.
>>
>>275933
They lost Rome so many times
>>
>>276106

That says nothing about the vaildity or truth of a religion, just the stubbornness of its adherents.

After all, using the same line Islam can be seen as the true religion by how successfully it spread everywhere it did through the sword when it said it would.
>>
>>276169
If anything Constantinople became a burden on Christendom by letting itself become the literal capital city of Islamic trade and, more importantly, Islamic piracy on the Mediterranean.
>>
>>276191
Eastern Orthodoxy on suicide watch
>>
>>276199
Except when that religion is Christianity, it's probably a truer form of Christianity considering the church is more you know - Christian.

>After all, using the same line Islam can be seen as the true religion by how successfully it spread everywhere it did through the sword when it said it would.
I'm not Orthodox nor endorsing it, I'm just shitting on Catholicism.
>>
>>275933
Sorry but papists are a meme religion now(have been since the 1600s).
>>
>>276008
Please elaborate these events for a pleb like me.
>>
>>276465
The papacy was basically split between the influence of France and the HRE. Frederick Barbarossa captured Rome, so the papacy moved.
>>
>Orthodox lost Constantinople
You know Orthodoxy uses this to legitimize their claims as the true church, right?
>>
What, you thought Jesus was joking when he said Gates of Hell shall not prevail?
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 800x533
>Roman Catholicism converted the Americas, and large chunks of Asia

>Orthoslavs waste time trying to conver penguins in antarctica
>>
>>276105
When all this happened, there was no catholicism or orthodoxy.
>>
>>277834
Literally how?
>>
>Roman Catholicism raped by the reformation
>Eastern Orthodoxy never raped by the reformation
checkmate, child sodomizers
>>
>>279065
>get raped by every State instead
bra-vo Orthodox
>>
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
>>
>>276024

>Byzantines shield post Roman western europe at its most backward and vulnerable from the Muslims for hundreds of years
>untold numbers of orthodox christian soldiers fall in the defense of christendom. the west, now advancing just beyond goat fucker stage, barely resists a minor incursion from the Moors
>the west.. allowed to grow advance almost free from threat stabs its benefactor in the back, like the barbarians they are
>all so some NEETcan shitpost 600 years later XDDDD
>mfw
>>
Roman Catholicism is the weakest fucking religion ever.
Couldn't even keep their shit together because of some fat, horny Anglo king and some German who pinned a note to their door. Absolutely pathetic.
>>
File: crusader on the internet.png (516 KB, 640x951) Image search: [Google]
crusader on the internet.png
516 KB, 640x951
>>275933
>Roman Catholicism lost Jerusalem
>>
>>280940
That is actually probably worse than losing Constantinople
>>
>>282016
[2]
>>
>>279155
Yeah well orthodoxy was born in persecution, you catholic newbies wouldn't know anything about that since you weren't around in roman times.
>>
>>278475
>Large chunks of Asia.
You mean the Philippines and literally no where else?

Because the Orthoslavs converted massive amounts of Asia.
>>
>>282966

>Most Powerful Race

checkmate, atheists
>>
>Christians can't keep Jerusalem more than a few decades
>Muslims hold onto Jerusalem for a millennium without even trying
>>
File: 1438876617464305931.gif (910 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
1438876617464305931.gif
910 KB, 550x309
>>275933
But Pope best
>>
>>283111
> Israel
>>
>>283139
A footnote in Palestine's history, really.
>>
File: Soldiers_Western_Wall_1967.jpg (29 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
Soldiers_Western_Wall_1967.jpg
29 KB, 256x384
>>283111
Yeah and were cleansed from jerusalem in a few years.
>>
File: idf grills.jpg (125 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
idf grills.jpg
125 KB, 640x427
>>283111
>Jews can take and hold Jerusalem and the Muslims are powerless to stop them
>>
File: f7d.jpg (24 KB, 255x232) Image search: [Google]
f7d.jpg
24 KB, 255x232
Pagan Rome
Best Rome
>>
>Orthodox don't open threads trying to discredit Catholics.

>Catholids do open threads trying to discredit orthodox.

Cant' blame them, If I belonged to the false church I would also have insecurities and try to discredit the true Orthodox Catholic Church.
>>
>>276024
It did take the Turks like 500 years to rename it Istanbul officially at least. They kind of liked the prestige of the name Constantinople.
>>
File: jupiter god.jpg (157 KB, 1155x768) Image search: [Google]
jupiter god.jpg
157 KB, 1155x768
>>283345
Invicta
>>
>what is geographical position
>what is hundreds of years of warfare between Orthodox and Muslims
>what is 4th Crusade
>what is France, a Catholic champion, allied with Ottomans
>what is West cock-blocking Russians from reconquering Constantinople
>m-muh bishop of Rome is superior to everyone and if you don't send him money you're a heretic who must die
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.