[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Christmas truce of 1914 between British and German really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
Did the Christmas truce of 1914 between British and German really happen or is it just a "nice" story for Christmas? If you do not know the myth, on Christmas day, on the battlefield between British and German soldiers on the Western Front, the two made a temporary truce and began to play a game of football, then once the game was finished they began fighting again. Some say that it is a myth and others take it as history.
>>
It was staged propaganda by the Germans to beat the Allies. You're correct.
>>
>>274340
It is fact. God damn Americans.
>>
Why would the Christmas Truce be a myth?

There were lots of Christmas truces, there were lots of non-Christmas truces. Trench warfare was a miserable existence, and no solider wanted to die in a battle of attrition. It was unlikely either side could advance or have a decisive victory through combat, so often both sides were content to minimize losses through truces, as long as there was no change in the lines.
>>
>>274355
I guess.
>>274383
I'm British if that's directed to me in any way.
>>274416
I didn't say it was a myth, I was saying that its been called a myth in the past for, I don't know, it's extreme implications and strangeness in a time where the Christmas Truce wouldn't seem viable or even real.
>>
WW1 was seriously weird.

They made agreements not to bomb each other during certain times of the day (Like breakfast and shit) and if one side bombed the other during these times the other side would return with double the amount of artillery or some-odd.
>>
>>274340
it did happen you tremendous idiot, there is documented proof, footage and pictures
>>
>>274340

Real. However it contradicts the other myth thathat the entire war was just endless, constant mindless slaughter and that every single soldier who was involved died, so it must be questioned and claimed to be a myth
>>
It did happen.
But who brought a fucking football to the front anyway?
>>
>>274918
When you have a war, with rules, combat is abouy tactics and supply line planning.

America sucks at both, but is real good at damage and toys - so it is in our best interest to make war less "civilized" and every battle becomes total war without regard.
>>
>>274340
Well you have to realize that even in 1914 the trenches extended pretty far, and what we have suggests that the truces were localized, but they were real.
>>
>>274933

World War 1 was endless mindless slaughter though.
A truce at Christmas doesn't change that. Besides that it was wet muddy bloody death.
>>
>>274933
At its peak though the fighting was pretty fucking horrible
>>
>>274933
There were times when the artillery sounded at best like a drumroll and at it's peak just a deafening roar

The battle of the Somme could be seen as an orange glow from 10-15 miles away

French soldiers would bleat like sheep at their officers, reinforcement lines sometimes lost 50% of their troops as they made it to the front lines

It's hard to even imagine what that's like
>>
>>274954

Yeah and the oblivious generals had no idea what they were doing and just threw wave after wave of men at machineguns, right?
>>
>>274943
No one did. The trenches weren't totally isolated, and when the troops were out of the trenches they'd usually play football in the camps behind the lines. Some guy could have had enough time to go back and get one.
>>
>>274963

Are you saying men didn't charge straight into enemy fire?
>>
>>274943
Churchill was bathing everyday in/near his trench in a portable bath with some slaves, i mean enlisted men bringing hot water for him. Having a football is not a big deal compared to that

Those letters from the front he sent from the front could litteraly consist of nothing else but "Im being a sociopath and there's nothing you can do to stop me"
>>
very nice story :) while i have you guys here, in school i've learned almost nothing about WWI with a strict focus on WWII, what's your favorite documentary? gonna use netflix
>>
Why were there mass rebellions and mutinies in the trenches? Why didn't any of the soldiers shoot their officers after seeing the last way shot down and told to do the same thing as them? Why didn't the officers think this was retarded and refused to follow their orders? In trench warfare it seems like you have a lot of time to think about what's going to happen to you and why you're fighting and decide you're just going to say "no" when you're told to go up there; the chances of getting shot for insubordination seem better than getting shot by the enemy machinegunners.
>>
why weren't there*
>>
>>275003
Dan Carlin's blueprint for armageddon
>>
>>274444
>Did the Christmas truce of 1914 between British and German really happen
You wut
>>
File: paths of glory.jpg (167 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
paths of glory.jpg
167 KB, 1920x1080
>>275007
It's possible death vs. certain death.
>>
>>275007
There were on some occassions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Army_Mutinies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_mutiny

And by the end of the war on the Italian front, non-Austrian soldiers of Austria-Hungary were refusing to follow orders and in some cases just leaving the battlefield to go home. They did this because the Empress convinced Emperor Charles to lighten up on the discipline in the army.
>>
>>275043
Based Kubrick
>>
>>274950
>america sucks at supply line planning

that is literally the thing they do best desu
>>
>>275003
>:)
Back to reddit
>>
>>274992
>"Im being a sociopath and there's nothing you can do to stop me"
Source? I wanna read his letters.
>>
>>275026
That is a question and different from saying "The Christmas truce of 1914 between British and German really didn't happen." You fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>275594
You proposed it could be a myth you fucking angloid.
>>
>>275605
>implying I'm OP

Asking if something happened or if it was a myth is different than saying it is. Holy shit how fucking retarded can you be? I know we're all suppose to act like retards here but being actually retarded isn't allowed, is it?
>>
>>275613
#retardshaming
>>
>>275613
And he(you) replied to
>Why would the Christmas Truce be a myth?
Fucking angloids.
>>
Can you imagine some of the asshole officers that didn't follow the Christmas truce. Ugh, I'd wanna frag the fucker if I had been in the shit for a while. I wonder if anyone shot their CO so they could go play football with the enemy.
>>
>>275589
there was a documentary on bbc i think. it was focused on churchill and they read all these letters of his from the boer war onwards. it was fun to watch, i'm not sure if there's a book... and now that i think of it might not be bbc, but im pretty confident it was them (or at least that they aired it)
>>
>>274340
It happened, just not everywhere. At some parts the fighting continued as usual, at some parts it was way less intense, and at some parts enemy soldiers actually mingled with each other.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.