[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /his/ think about Dan Carliin/Hardcore History? ht
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
what does /his/ think about Dan Carliin/Hardcore History? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGT0cPukJ4o
>>
An absolutely great, engaging, entertaining way of being introduced to a subject. It is genuinely fun.

However, people listen to it and take it as gospel.

inb4 >but he says he's not a historian!

That might be true but I feel it is a bit of a cop out, weasely behavior on his part. Like 'oh of course my work is sometimes wrong or not properly researched or purporting bad pseudohistory, after all I am not a historian!' you get the idea.

Still having said that it's great fun. Just don't go on the internet pretending you are an expert after listening to it.
>>
>>27430
what is inaccurate?
>>
>>27430

Can you actually point out major errors ?
>>
what are other good history podcasts?
>>
Any place to listen to the older ones and also his current affairs podcast for free?
>>
>>27374
10/10
>>
>>29275
I'm sure someone will shown up and make a mega for all the episodes.
>>
>>27374
I listened to his ghosts of the ostfront series and it was more about emotions than the war itself, him talking about the bone fields was to get you hooked really.

>>29261
History of Rome is good, unfortunately it's mostly about the empire rather than the republic.
I've listened to the history of ww2 also, the guy veered off spending a decent amount of episodes talking about churchill's life though and he's now getting onto the eastern front.
>>
>>29261

Mike Duncans the history of rome

He's also started doing a series on revolutions which I've heard is good but i haven't seen it yet
>>
>>29168
>>27580
He literally uses "Hitler was an evil man".

I'm not a /pol/tard, but using the word evil is retarded, it shows the propaganda that still is fed to us.

Hitler did horrible things, was a megalomaniac and all that stuff, but evil?
>>
>>30969

I've got a feeling you didn't actually listen to the entire podcast

He literally talks at length about how it's relative to the amount of time that has passed
>>
>>31050
He says in more than one occasion that this person or that person is evil.

He is a joke really, he doesnt like history for the sake of history, he only likes it because he likes action and war, and bloody battles.
>>
>>31175

So wheres the historically inaccurate information?
>>
>>31264
Nowhere.
>>
>>27374
He gives a good basic foundation to build on and makes the era he takes about relatable. Also his reading lists are top notch.
>>
>>27374
He is just a guy that repeats interesting stuff he read in a book by a historian on radio, I dont see the obsession 4chan has with him.
As >>31175 said he just likes the bloody parts, he is fine to get you a taste at what shitty WW2 soldier memoirs are like.
>>
>>31424
He likes the drama of history, because it's one of the best ways to engage an audience about something they may not otherwise care about. For many people history can be very dry and boring. Carlin makes it relatable, if not 100% accurate.
>>
>>31476
Ah yes, the way of Hollywood.

Lets dumb down everything so anyone can like this new "history".
>>
>>27374
>I'm not a /pol/tard, but using the word evil is retarded, it shows the propaganda that still is fed to us.
What definition of evil do you use that doesn't encompass Hitler? Since you're not a poltard you clearly accept that he killed millions of peoples and started gigantic murderous wars and such so....
>>
I like it. The series on WW1 was fantastic.
>>
>>31175
>>30969
>>27430
He is saying "I am not a historian" because he is being humble. The translation for that is : "I do not have a PhD in history". He writes well sourced informative papers about historical events, using as many first sources as possible, and then converts it into the spoken word largely for free. (a buck a show folks, it's all we ask! key word ask) I understand he is not writing papers that are 50% quotation, but that is not what it is for, what he is doing for both entertainment and teaching.

I am with you on my personal beliefs about recanting history (never say us or we when reffering to the united states in the past unless I was there, rarely do I assign good/bad) but he is fully justified in calling Hitler evil, because right after it he always says "product of his times" and then goes into a spiel (for the idiots who shitpost in comments) about how hindsight is 20/20, and retards still do not get that he is saying "x is evil....but only through the lense of our own times!" He did this for Genghis as well.
>>
File: 1375029728762.jpg (9 KB, 124x121) Image search: [Google]
1375029728762.jpg
9 KB, 124x121
The vsauce of history. Beloved by pseudo-intellectual underage redditors around the world!
>>
He's alright. People in this thread aren't wrong to call him the hollywood or vsauce of history, but what they seem to forget is that without people there to simplify a subject and give an introduction, it would be very hard to attract people to said subject.

Yes, this simplification will be all of a subject that many retards receive and these retards will go around acting like they are infatuated with the subject, but this is the sacrifice you have to make so that a few retards can see these simplifications, delve deeper into the subject, and actually fall in love with it.

Don't be so quick to forget how ignorant you used to be. Everyone has to start somewhere. What matters is that they don't stop where they start.
>>
>>32280
Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind.
>>
One thing I hate is how he takes a single primary source and runs with it far beyond its scope. Like, a diary by a - no offense - noname lieutenant in bumfuck nowhere who spent two weeks in a hellish trench, and applies it across the entirety (or a larger part anyway) of the western front. Meanwhile in real life soldiers were rotated out of the trenches after four days on average.
>>
>>32328
This is the sacrifice you have to make.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.