[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is military history a waste of time if you aren't an actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (71 KB, 743x735) Image search: [Google]
image.png
71 KB, 743x735
Is military history a waste of time if you aren't an actual officer or a vidya playing dweeb?
>>
History as a whole is basically a waste of time
>>
>Is history a waste of time if you aren't an actual historian or a high school history teacher?
>>
Is history a waste of time if you have no real influence on anything?
Yet it its.
But then again, everything is a wast of time.
>>
>or a vidya playing dweeb
But I am.
>>
>>272379
If you're having a subjective sensation of fun and intrigue, it's not a waste of time. Applies to all hobbies.
>>
Depends on what your definition of "military history" is. Some people think military history is just strategy and tactics, OOBs, and uniforms/equipment; other people have a broader conception of the term.
>>
>>272379
I want non-humanists to leave.
>>
>>272441
What is your broader concept of it?
>>
>>272379
I assume it's good to know a bit about tactics which help explain the rise and fall of empires.
>>
>>272464
Politics, media/propaganda, social attitudes and ideologies, technology, wartime economic and labor history, culture, the domestic situation, etc. Basically broadening the scope to include social and cultural issues surrounding warfare and military operations.
>>
>>272511
meant for
>>272453
>>
>>272511
Come to think of it I guess I have learned a little of all of those things from reading history. My grandad still tells me sometimes that 'military history is world history'
>>
File: ms-wettf-16-1-05.jpg (369 KB, 1028x634) Image search: [Google]
ms-wettf-16-1-05.jpg
369 KB, 1028x634
>>272379
Mainstream/high school history is just politics of the past and a lot of that is war. Asking yourself why certain nations won certain wars explains modern day borders and geopolitical situations.

Like, Why is Portugal or Switzerland independent, why do these countries even exist. Besides that military history and especially the material aspect of it teaches you a lot about how advanced a civilization is in other areas.

Like the Carronade which was one of the first firearms designed on scientific/theoretic principles rather than trial and error.
>>
>>272559
>why are Portugal or Switzerland independent

Heh, I actually have wondered that, being so close to major powers like Spain and France
>>
>>272575
That's a long story.
>>
>>272623
Not so long, spain absorbed portugal and got fucked back.
>>
>>272379

Well since retards keep repeating history, the study of history is pointless as fuck.

Military history is best history and makes GOAT games.
>>
>>272656
History is basically "research" done in uncontrolled environments with sample sizes of one. Anyone who tries to derive meaning or understanding from history is a loon.
>>
>>272712
>trying to derive meaning from history is impossible
>literally suggesting that its impossible to learn from things that happen
>living in some kind of hellish sphere totally removed from the notion of time
ok friend
>>
>>272801
History as in the academic field called "history".
>>
>Thread about military history
PHILOSOPHYOFHISTORYPHILOSOPHYOFHISTORYPHILOSOPHYOFHISTORYPHILOSOPHYOFHISTORY history has no meaning PHILOSOPHYOFHISTORYPHILOSOPHYOFHISTORYPHILOSOPHYOFHISTORY
>>
>>273057
It's a thread asking whether or not the study of military history is worthwhile, so it's basically a philosophy of history thread.
>>
Not any less worthless than the study of history in general.
>>
>>273525
But why?
>>
>>273542

Sorry, wrote that wrong, I meant to say that if you think history in general is useless, than you'll think military history is useless, but if you don't think history's useless, then there's really no reason to think military history's useless.

Most of what you learn in general history classes is just military history, so you won't really be missing out on much in terms of learning about the daily life of people in the old days if you go for a military history degree. I always have thought there's more information on people's daily life on the Internet and even in children's books than in a general scholarly work on, say Ancient Greece or Prussia.

Historians just seem generally uninterested in learning about daily life, which I'm not saying is a good thing. I don't see why an educated person shouldn't be expected to know, say, what crops were grown in Egypt or Rome or the names of various types of houses in Rome, or the different types of clothing in Greece or Victorian England. But for some reason, everyone just focuses on wars, the changing borders, and major acts of the king like big government building projects. As well as some focus on dramas at the leader's court, like in the Byzantine Empire or Tudor England, mostly to help people better understand the order in which various rulers ruled.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.