[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me more about Yamato Nadeshikos, /his/. I'm fascinated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: yamato nadeshiko.jpg (92 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
yamato nadeshiko.jpg
92 KB, 480x640
Tell me more about Yamato Nadeshikos, /his/. I'm fascinated by this particular figure of Japanese history.
Is it true they were supposed to sacrice themselves protecting the houses during war, if needed?
>>
Yes women were expected to defend the castle along with the men. They were called the Onna-bugeisha.

Samurai women were actually quite powerful in Japan up until the edo period. They could inherit, govern, manage, and fight just like the men. They were generally expected to be supportive of their husbands but they still held power on their own.

That generally changed during the edo period when samurai faded from warriors to bureaucrats.
>>
>>270112
Were those samurai women Yamato Nadeshikos though?
Also holy shit Japanese history is badass as fuck.
>>
>>270125
Yes it was considered the proper thing to do. Women of noble status were expected to fight and die for their husbands and clans if necessary.

It was seen as the highest form of dedication.

It became rarer as times changed but it was still seen as late as the Boshin War in the mid 1800's.

>In 1868, during the Battle of Aizu, a part of the Boshin War,Nakano Takeko, a member of the Aizuclan, was recruited to become leader of a female corps who fought against the onslaught of 20,000 Imperial Japanese Army of the Ogaki domain. Highly skilled at the naginata, Takeko and her corps of about 20 joined 3,000 other Aizu samurai in battle. The Hokai Temple in Aizu Bangemachi, Fukishima province contains a monument erected in her honor.
>>
>>270163
This is fucking badass.
>>
>>270171
>Among those was Tomoe Gozen, wife of Minamoto Yoshinaka of the Minamoto clan. She assisted her husband in defending himself against the forces of his cousin, Minamoto no Yoritomo. During the Battle of Awazu on February 21, 1184, she rode into the enemy forces, flung herself on their strongest warrior, unhorsed, pinned, and decapitated him.
>>
>>270212
to be fair, Tomoe Gozen may be a myth. Although even if it is, the fact that such a myth existed should say something about the culture

>>270125
its generally very interesting. The sengoku jidai is fascinating if you're an (armchair) military historian; the amount of and speed of military innovation is incredible.

also the Meiji period onward is an incredible period as Japan modernizes and adapts to the world order after 250 years of isolation, followed by experiments with democracy into military dictatorship and imperialism, the amazing post war recovery and economic boom (to the point people thought Japan would overtake the US), and more recently the stagnation
>>
>>270240
I've always wondered just how much quicker Japan would have modernized had Nobunaga fulfilled his ambition and unified the country.

The amount of lasting change he brought in such a short time is staggering.

Shame he was kind of a dick to his retainers though.
>>
>>270274
its an interesting question. unlike the tokugawa shoguns had he was highly aware of the benefits of trade and contact with other nations, especially the west (such a westaboo).

although whether or not his ambitions for overseas expansion would have brought him ruin or not is something to consider
>>
>>270112
>>270163
>>270212

I wonder why some people claim that women never fought ever during history when it blatantly contraddicts things like these.
>>
>>270350
I don't think I've ever met a person who's said that.

Anybody that does is an idiot.

They should try looking up shieldmaidens, onna-bugeisha, and the dahomey amazons.
>>
>>270388
>I don't think I've ever met a person who's said that.
All you need to do is to just browse /r9k/ or /pol/.
>>
>>270416
Hate groups on 4chan are more complicated than that. /r9k/ and their crossboarders are the only misogynists.

/pol/ literally wets themselves over female Russian snipers in WWII there used to be regular threads praising/worshiping some of the more prominent ones.
>>
>>270350
>muh traditional gender roles make it literally impossible for women to do anything other than pump out babies and suck dicks
>today's women are sociopathic whores because I can't get one to fuck me
>women warriors? Pffft don't you know women are only good at sucking cock?
>why can't I get gf?

In a nutshell
>>
>>270502
let's not derail the thread with this shit though
I wanna talk about Japanese history, it's fucking badass as hell
>>
>>270512
>badass
Mm, i remember some Daimyo being held hostage by bandits on the road and when the Daimyo got dragged away and separated from his retainers he was so mad he ordered the retainers to shoot their arrows at the bandits even if it meant hitting himself as well
>>
>>270502
>>270350

There's one big difference: These women did not reject their feminine roles, but have the martial and homeland defense as expressions of their role as mothers and caretakers.

Unlike the bulldyke feminazi friends you have.
>>
File: Femme-47-ronin-seppuku-p1000701.jpg (675 KB, 1543x2211) Image search: [Google]
Femme-47-ronin-seppuku-p1000701.jpg
675 KB, 1543x2211
>>270512
Yeah you're right. Here's an interesting article on jigai, or female seppuku.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/jai/jai15.htm

>Among samurai women--taught to consider their husbands as their lords, in the feudal meaning of the term--it was held a moral obligation to perform jigai, by way of protest, against disgraceful behaviour upon the part of a husband who would not listen to advice or reproof. The ideal of wifely duty which impelled such sacrifice still survives; and more than one recent example might be cited of a generous life thus laid down in rebuke of some moral wrong. Perhaps the most touching instance occurred in 1892, at the time of the district elections in Nagano prefecture. A rich voter named Ishijima, after having publicly pledged himself to aid in the election of a certain candidate, transferred his support to the rival candidate. On learning of this breach of promise, the wife of Ishijima, robed herself in white, and performed jigai after the old samurai manner. The grave of this brave woman is still decorated with flowers by the people of the district; and incense is burned before her tomb.
>>
>>270350
People who makes those claims are usually interested in "strong independent women who needs no man", not a based housewife that's ready to help her husband
>>
>>270676
I'm not a feminist though, quit making assumptions.
My post was referring at the typical angry incel mentality.
>>
>>270041
Yes, to this day the naginata (cool as fuck spear thing) is considered a woman's weapon, because its use was popular with women
>>
>>270677
What the fuck is with Asians and suicide?
>>
>>270775
Asians would rather kill themselves than just live with the failure, or shame.
>>
>>270789
What's the cultural reason behind it?
>>
>>270502
Great, we became /leftypol/. Fuck off to lit.
>>
>>270807
>not being an actual misoginyst makes you a lefty
wut
>>
Tomoe Gozen appears in that Eiji Yoshikawa book about the Taira. But that book is kind of incomplete.
>>
>>270821
Your entire fucking text is completely left-wing. Fuck off back to tumblr and let the rest of us discuss Japanese history.
>>
>>270830
First of all that post isn't mine, second of all that post is mocking typical /r9k/ retarded mentality.
I don't see what's ''left-wing'' or ''Tumblr'' about that.
>>
>>270834
>>muh traditional gender roles
>>
>>270850
That part is mocking MRAs, who hate traditional gender roles just like feminists do.
MRAs think that women have never done anything because of their stay at home roles, despite it blatantly going against history.
>>
Anyway, SJW-ism aside, who was the best Hideyoshi wife and why was it Nene?
And how in the hell didn't Hideyoshi noticed Chacha cheated on him?
>>
>>270865
Wait... MRAs hate traditional gender roles?
>>
>>270388
>Amazon meme army
>shield maidens doing anything noteworthy
next thing you will say is that joan of arc was the average fenale during the mifdle ages
>>
>>270882
>>270910
>>270865
>>270850
>>270834
>>270830

stop
>>
>>270941
It's too late, they already killed the thread.
>>
>>270961
It really pisses me off that these faggots have to ruin the few history threads we have that arent uneducated /vg/ & /int/ wankery
There is a politics board, this is not it. By all forum etiquette going back to the start of the internet, its bad form. Off topic posting is rude no matter what the reason.
>but muh strawmen boogeyman post incoming
the most hilarious part is the fact that is an ANONYMOUS image board, whic means its always an asspull to assume anything about anybody, yet people still do it.
>>
>>270882
I think what >>270865 meat by MRA should be called MGTOW.
>>
>>271016
whatever any kind of modern activism is retarded

anyway let's bring the thread back to Japanese history, how accurate are modern depictions of samurai armors?
>>
File: Samurai_Japanese.jpg (346 KB, 800x1339) Image search: [Google]
Samurai_Japanese.jpg
346 KB, 800x1339
>>271050
A lot of times they get the time periods wrong or simplify the construction for the sake of cost effectiveness.

What's even worse is the depiction of samurai warfare.
>>
>>270873
He was probably too busy cheating on them.
>>
>>270350
Exceptional people aren't the norm.
>>
>>270350
Because, in the end, man soldiers vastly outnumbered women soldiers in history.

Even in this example, women were fighting AS THE LAST RESORT, not regularly as a part of the army. It was seen as one last act of a dedicated wife to her husband and the family.

I'm not claiming they never fought, but feminists often seriously overstate the numbers of women soldiers. According to the crazier ones, you'd think that half of soldiers in any army were women.
>>
>>270677
>Wife straight-up kills herself in protest rather than deal with your shit anymore
>>
>>273200
Those people were not ''exceptional'' in Japanese culture. It was quite the norm. People like you always fail to understand that each culture is its own world.

>>273342
Why do you MRAs always insist on revisioning history and moving the goalposts?
You make fun of feminists for their victim complex and yet you do exactly the same.
>B-BUT MUH MALE DISPOSABILITY IS OPPRESSING ME!!!!
Just like feminist you want to feel like a victim over retarded shit. With a retarded theory that goes against history coming from sociology no less.
I know this'll likely trigger you knowing your kind, but man up already and quit being a little bitch.
>>
>>275485
Please stop.
>>
>>>>270676
These women did not reject their feminine roles
I am not rejecting my feminine roles either. When I find a man who respects me, I will mother his children. I define what is respect in regards to me.
>>
>>276299
Again?
Isn't your thread getting 404 enough?
>>
>>270793
It became a precedent after the 1100's when Minamoto no Yorimasa killed himself rather than be captured by his enemies during the genpai war. After that it kind of became part of bushido.

Samurai literally means to serve, expectedly until death. Should a samurai fail to die fighting for their lord or dishonor their lord in some way, it's considered the ultimate failure. Letting yourself be captured by the enemy or letting an opponent claim your head was also a huge mark of shame. So it became this kind of informal rule that samurai adhered to. Generally it was the stab to the stomach, as I think I read the Japanese believed the soul to be contained in the stomach so it was done to release the soul and show their pure innards, then a stab to the heart.

It really wasn't until the late Sengoku/Edo period when it became somewhat ritualistic. An assistant was added to cut off the head and prevent suffering. Eventually they even ceased the whole blade in the belly thing. A tanto was placed in front of them and they would reach for it then promptly get decapitated.

It nearly stopped being a precedent and became a political tool and form of capital punishment. Political rivals were ordered to commit suicide or risk retribution and shame on their entire clan.

But that's where the culture comes from. The Japanese dont do shit by half measures and are a very prideful people.
>>
>>276617
I am prideful person but I do not harm or kill myself for the sake of others, that's idiotic.
>>
>>276632
You're forgetting most Asian societies are heavily influenced by Confucius.

They are inherently about the greater good and not the individual.
>>
>>276646
And that's why they are second to the West and had to play catch-up just like China and Japan.
>>
>>276646
The West is all about the greater good now with all the poor shitskins being white people's burden and look where it's getting Europe.
>>
>>276655
>>276665

I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion of feudal Japanese history.

Not that you're wrong but wat
>>
>>271050
it depends. A lot of Japanese films are pretty accurate. Kurosawa's Katusha and Ran are interesting. not only do they show the heavy use of firearms and ashigaru conscripts, but include small details like the important lords wearing bits of European armour (or in some cases whole suits), as was popular for wealthy individuals.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.