[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the european union basically the modern day HRE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: HRR_1789_EN.png (3 MB, 2650x2160) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1789_EN.png
3 MB, 2650x2160
Is the european union basically the modern day HRE?
>>
>>434364
It's neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire so you could definitely say that.
>>
>The katechon (from Greek: τὸ kατέχον, "that which withholds", or ὁ kατέχων, "the one who withholds") is a biblical concept which has subsequently developed into a notion of political philosophy.
The following identifications of the katechon have been proposed:
The Name of God (or God's presence);
The Holy Spirit;
The Archangel Michael;
The Catholic Church (and the perpetual sacrifice of the Eucharist);
The Papacy;
The Holy Roman Empire;
The State as such;
The Law;
Some more or less important eschatological figure(s) preceding the Antichrist and the end of times (like the two witnesses of the Book of Revelation).
>Last Roman Emperor or Last World Emperor is a figure of medieval European legend, which developed as an aspect of eschatology in the Catholic Church. The legend predicts that in the end times, a last emperor would appear on earth to reestablish the Holy Roman Empire and assume his function as biblical katechon who stalls the coming of the Antichrist.
Flag of the European Union
>in 1987, following the adoption of the flag by the EEC, Arsène Heitz (1908–1989), one of the designers who had submitted proposals for the flag's design, suggested a religious inspiration for it. He claimed that the circle of stars was based on the iconographic tradition of showing the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Woman of the Apocalypse, wearing a "crown of twelve stars".

Apocalypse, here we come.
>>
>>434388
Angela Merkel is the whore of Babylon.
>>
>>434373
underrated

>>434364
It's about as constantly fucked as the HRE, so there's that.
>>
>>434364
Pretty much.
>>
>>434738
Underrated? I hear it all the time on /his/.
>>
File: help.jpg (81 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
81 KB, 456x628
>>434388
>>
>>434364
Why not hanseatic league?
>>
File: voltaire.png (1009 KB, 760x920) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.png
1009 KB, 760x920
>>434373
>>
Well its an international organisation, so no not really.
>>
Stop fucking comparing every conglomeration of states to the Holy Roman Empire you retards.
>>
>>436406
unless the feudal system is brought back and numerous states become monarchies where the monarch has control then we shouldn't compare and European organization to the HRE
>>
>>434364
it never ceases to amaze what a complet clusterfuck germany was
>>
>>434364
Yeah Merkel is just trying to revoke the privilegia, it's hard man.
>>
>>434364
>those borders

thank god that got fixed
>>
>>434364
It's way more centralized than the HRE. I don't see Emperor Charles or even Frederick for that matter instituting grain quotas across the Reich.
>>
No, if anything it's the modern version of the United States under the Articles of Confederation.

You want a laugh, go read up on all the troubles the USA had with those and compare it to the shit Europe's dealing with now. It's like a prophecy.
>>
>>434373
This
>>
>>437887
I'd be cautious of that analogy. EU is composed of many distinct ethnic nation-states that are aware of their separate identity, whereas USA has long been assimilationist towards being the same kind of "American Anglo". I guess what I am saying is, don't expect EU to follow our historical path. They have more reasons not to totally unite (into a single identity and a single state) than we did.

Even today, nationalism is a dominant factor in Europe
>>
>>440146
>>440146
I think the regional diversity in Europe is balanced out by the fact that very few people care about it. Nationalism today in Europe is kind of morphing into white nationalism, is in people aren't particularly bothered about being ruled from Berlin but are extremely upset about Berlin flooding their country with Muslims and blacks.

However there are exceptions, but this is largely from large countries like Britain and France which are just upset that they aren't in charge.
>>
>>440224
>Nationalism today in Europe is kind of morphing into white nationalism
You can't be serious. Especial when what counts as white differs between nations within the union.
>>
>>440260
>mfw Greece has one of the strongest nationalist movements
>"white" nationalism

I mean you might as well include Northeast Asians, Turks, Caucasians, Berbers, Lebanese, Israelis, northern Iranians, and certain Afghan groups
Basing a nationalism or any sort of pride on something as superficial as skin colour/tone is ridiculous
>>
>>434388
Was Hitler the last emperor?
>>
No, the EU is the modern day empire of Napoleon
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.