[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post interesting facts/images regarding Ancient Rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19
File: rome.jpg (51 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
51 KB, 500x303
>>
Ancient Romans celebrated "Saturnalia", a festival in which slaves and their masters would switch places.
>>
>>268451
that's bullshit
>>
Aliens built the Colosseum
>>
>>268439
They had phallic jewelry everywhere. And it wasn't considered an oddity, it was pretty normal.
>>
>>268439
wasnt half the reason they hated christian was because they thought they were cannibals? Or was that just roman propaganda?
>>
File: euripides.jpg (42 KB, 283x411) Image search: [Google]
euripides.jpg
42 KB, 283x411
>>268439
Roman historian Euripides is known for his famous quote "Carthago delenda est", translating to "Carthage is delenda".
>>
Rome was founded in 753 BC on and around 7 hills, the central being Palatine hill (origin of the world "palace") and eventually expanded its influence onto it's neighbors on the fertile mediterranean shores to become what many consider the foundation of western imperialism.
>>
Rome copied/stole a lot of practices/traditions/"culture" from the Greeks. But in time, Rome completely took over Greece.
>>
Rome a shit
>>
>>268719
Look in a mirror, pleb. That is, if you can afford one.
>>
>>268477

No, they actually did it.

The role switching wasn't the reason for the ceremony though, just an after thought.

Like halloween costume parties.
>>
>>268439
Romans were complaining about degeneracy by the 2nd century BC, nearly five hundred years before Rome fell, and over twenty two hundred years before Pol picked it up.
>>
Rome at its peak with 2 million residence was the largest city of all time until 1800s London
>>
>>268451
Saturnalia was a tame as fuck holiday compared to Lupercalia (which was celebrated the same time we now celebrate Valentine's day).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupercalia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupercalia#Late_Republic_and_Empire

>The festival began with the sacrifice by the Luperci (or the flamen dialis) of two male goats and a dog.[10] Next two young patrician Luperci were led to the altar, to be anointed on their foreheads with the sacrificial blood, which was wiped off the bloody knife with wool soaked in milk, after which they were expected to smile and laugh.

Say all you want about the Romans. They never fuckin' phoned in or half-assed holidays or festivals.
>>
>>269013

B A C C H A N A L I A
A
C
C
H
A
N
A
L
I
A
>>
>>268439
Rabbit and Rabid shares etymology because the romans were raided by germanics who brought dire rabbits with them to strike fear into the romans.
>>
>>268439
Romans would not eat with their left hand because they used it to claw shit out of their arses.

When 2 Romans were courting they would smell each others hands to see if they were compatible.
>>
File: bacchus.jpg (189 KB, 364x512) Image search: [Google]
bacchus.jpg
189 KB, 364x512
>>269036
>>
Rome was a big city
>>
>>268477
No, anon is right, they really did it.

Festivals which allow for temporary subversion of social norms were present in many cultures. "Carnival", or "Mardi Gras" are just the better known of the current ones.

>>268439
They worshipped fever itself, as a godness and so on. In her case, it was pretty much "we sacrifice a nice bull and you won't make me sick, k?"

>>269013
The blood having been removed, the lads must laugh. After this (the Luperci) cut the hides of the goats into strips and, naked except for a girdle, they run about the Palatine, striking with the thongs everyone whom they meet. The young women do not shun the blows, since they believe that they avail for the conception and the easy delivery of children. A peculiar custom of this festival is that the Luperci also sacrifice a dog.
-Plutarch
>>
>>269130
For you.
>>
File: JS48141384.jpg (58 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
JS48141384.jpg
58 KB, 615x409
>>269085
Stop shitting from your mouth, they used water for it. Pic related.
>>
>>268708
Yep
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh0PZkEKHzI
>>
File: 3 First wave.jpg (576 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3 First wave.jpg
576 KB, 1920x1080
>>269241
good ol Medieval II. The mods for that game to this day amaze me
>>
>>268708
>>269237
Forgot to post the image, like a pleb
>>
File: EtruscanWallPaintings.jpg (21 KB, 281x195) Image search: [Google]
EtruscanWallPaintings.jpg
21 KB, 281x195
>>269199
Revisionist History.

Romans left hands were continually brown, they used to recline on couches, leaning on their left hand while eating with their right.

We still have the habit today of shaking hands with the left hand, because the Romans always tried to keep their eating hand clean.

In the picture attached, from an Etruscan tomb, you can see how they hold their Right hands up and ready to use for eating while hiding their left hand.
>>
>>269267
>shaking hands with the left hand

no we don't
>>
>>269267
Also, possibly related, but linguistically interesting, the right hand (or just right in terms of the direction) was dextera, from which we get obvious English words from. The term for the left (hand) was sinister. Yes, just sinister.
>>
>>269278
I was amazed when I found out that "Fortune" came from the goddess "Fortuna", and well, giving someone a good fortune was her thing.
>>
>>269275
Yeah, Scouts were trained to use their left hands, because Freemasons are sodomites.
>>
File: 1430782198205.png (397 KB, 492x454) Image search: [Google]
1430782198205.png
397 KB, 492x454
>>269295
>>
File: w-c-romano.jpg (192 KB, 640x386) Image search: [Google]
w-c-romano.jpg
192 KB, 640x386
this was me
>>269267

I was just shitposting

pic related is how they did it formally, but one wasn't always conveniently near a toilet or had a sponge handy.

this faggot
>>269278

I right, they did think of the left hand as dirty.
>>
File: roman11cxu2.jpg (667 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
roman11cxu2.jpg
667 KB, 1024x768
>>269252
Oh yeah. The vanilla game was great, but stuff like Europa Barbarorum 2 is awesome.
>>
File: what in the fuck.jpg (79 KB, 588x437) Image search: [Google]
what in the fuck.jpg
79 KB, 588x437
>>269297
You went from saying "we" like the Western World as having a habit of using their left hand, to saying that "Scouts were trained to use their left hands, because Freemasons are sodomites"
I just... I just cant debate this because you jack knifed so hard. We shake with our right hands still, lefties can attest to this. The Romans might have used their left hands to shake, but we certainly don't today.
>>
File: carlos.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>269329
I was just SHIT POSTING, Romans shook hand with their right too, the left hand was a dirty secret.

see >>269278
>>
>>269252
That game is still to this day the single best TW title.
>>
>>269297
What? How, I, huh?
>>
The Empire was a mistake
-Augustus
>>
Despite Scipio Africanus defeating Hannibal and winning the Second Punic War for Rome, the Senate treated him and his brother like shit. He demands that his remains not be moved to Rome since they were ungrateful. Once he was dead, the Senate immediately moved to accuse his brother of stealing gold.

He and Hannibal also died within a few weeks of each other, so maybe they got to go to some nice afterlife where they commanded armies together.
>>
>>269398
Scipio was a cunt though t b h
>>
>>269398
>Despite Scipio Africanus defeating Hannibal and winning the Second Punic War for Rome, the Senate treated him and his brother like shit. He demands that his remains not be moved to Rome since they were ungrateful. Once he was dead, the Senate immediately moved to accuse his brother of stealing gold.
well he clearly fought for the wrong side. Should have joined Hannibal and raped Roman senate together
>>
File: Rome Total War II.png (4 MB, 1915x1048) Image search: [Google]
Rome Total War II.png
4 MB, 1915x1048
>>269351
Agreed. It might just be my nostalgia kicking in, but it beats out all the other titles. Rome II - launch aside - became a strong game. Attila was fun too with the new mechanics that hordes brought into it... but the AI just ravage raped the map until it was unusable by the time Attila even came along
>>
>>269410
I can hear the sound of baby sacrifices from here
>>
>>269404
This is Rome. Everyone is a cunt.
>>
>>269432
>>269410
>implying based Fabius wouldn't fuck them up
>>
>>269432
THAT'S JUST PROPAGANDA FROM ASSPAINED ROMANS AND GREEKS!

CARTHAGE DIDN'T KILL BABIES! THAT'S JUST LIES! ALL LIES!
>>
>>269455
Yes, that's right, you got it.
>>
>>269455
That toad? The only thing scarier than his wart was his reliance on using guerilla warfare despite having the support of the world's mightiest military. We don't praise U.S. generals because they resort to guerilla tactics... we honor them because they properly use what they are given.
>them babies are doomed
>>
File: carthage.jpg (870 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
carthage.jpg
870 KB, 986x1369
>>269461
Okay, Carthaboo
>>
>>269470
Did Rome have any other Generals at that point though?
>>
>>269461
However bad the Carthaginians supposedly were, they didn't deserve to have their civilization destroyed, their library destroyed and their history practically erased.
>>
>>269475
Most of them were kind of dying left and right. Scipio Africanus' father and uncle were killed by Hannibal's brother, which is when he decided he was going to fuck up Carthage and never lose a battle.

>>269455
Scipio vs "The Delayer" would be a clear Scipio victory.
>>
>>269475
Scipio Asiaticus
>>
>>269481
Did Scipio really achieve much outside of Zama?
>>
>>269492
Spain nigga, spain.
>>
>>269497
>implying beating Hasrubal is really an achievement
>>
>>269500
He had more experience and his troops were simply better. We also can't ignore his attack and capture of New Carthage.
>>
Cato Elder and Younger are the greatest ROmans
>>
>>268439
some plebs were richer then patricians
>>
>>269546
than
>>
File: implying Sassanid cataphract.jpg (122 KB, 614x480) Image search: [Google]
implying Sassanid cataphract.jpg
122 KB, 614x480
>>269500
Kek, I disagree with you but for some reason greentexting that gave me a giggle
>>
File: Gunpowderinfantry.jpg (60 KB, 807x383) Image search: [Google]
Gunpowderinfantry.jpg
60 KB, 807x383
>>269431

Long time TW fan here, since MTW1 (missed first Shogun).

I could never get that much into MTW2 because the battle mechanics were (and some of them still are) broken, requiring mods to fix them. I played a Byz campaign three months ago. It wasn't fun at all. I forgot how bad the diplomacy is.
My two main issues are infantry as:

>pikes don't work
>infantry charges are buggy and will not perform properly

The only good thing infantry can do is stand their guard and take a cavalry charge. That's about it.

Loved a lot of things about it like armor upgrading, the new world and the wide array of technological advancements. Here's hoping for a MTW3.
>>
>>269492

The battle of the titans,

Rome vs the Seleucid Empire, was fought at Magnesia. Scipio led the romans.

Granted, Antiochus was a bit of a moron but no doubt he was a competent commander and had proved himself in many previous campaigns so he wasn't a pushover by any means.
>>
>>269625
>Scipio lead the Romans
Wasn't that Scipio Asiaticus?
>>
File: Seleucid JUST.jpg (255 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
Seleucid JUST.jpg
255 KB, 708x826
>>269625
>>
>>269651
The Scipio brothers were working together.
>>
>>269821
Right, but I'm pretty sure Asiaticus was really in the lead, given the fact he was awarded the name
>>
>>269852
Probably, yes, and I believe the senate went after him after the whole Seleucid thing. Africanus was just there because he heard Hannibal was there.
>>
>>269085
thats indians m8
>>
>>268439
Despite commonly being depicted as a pure white city, Rome would have actually been quite colorful in its day. However over the ages the color was bleached out by the sun.
>>
>>269925
Ay man Romans were white
>>
>>269873
>>269821

Is this a mexican tv-drama we're talking about here or roman history?
>>
>>270353
Honestly there isn't a lot of difference.
>>
>>269504
>New Carthage
I've never actually heard of a 'Nova Roma', but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few.

Actually, Constantinople was initially called Nova Roma, wasn't it?
>>
I heard they believed the name of the city is directly linked to the god protecting it, and to know a name of the city means you could persuade that god to come on your side and thus easily conquer the unprotected city. For that reason, nobody but a few priests knew the real name of Rome and Rome was just used so enemies couldn't do shit. Is probably bullshit, but the idea that we don't know the real name of Rome is very intriguing.
>>
>>268439
In the final few centuries of the Roman Empire groups called 'bagaudae' or 'bacuadae' appeared. Though their exact nature is hotly debated they are considered by some to be some of history's first major 'peasant' revolts by people angered by heavy Roman taxation. Areas such as the Ebro valley in north eastern Spain and Armorica (Britanny) north of the Loire were hotbeds of seditious activity. They are mentioned in the play Querolus, in the letters of Sidonius Apollonius and the poem of Rutilius Namatianus. Despite their rebellion against the central government, the Armorican bagaudae aided Aetius in his grand coalition against the Hunnic army of Attila in 451 AD.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.