[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ottoman Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Ottoman_flag.svg[1].png (45 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Ottoman_flag.svg[1].png
45 KB, 2000x1333
What caused the Ottoman Empire to come to an end?
>>
>>267019
Siding with the Germans.
>>
In 1920 they were at the height of power, from Mecca to Budapest. But then in Istanbul some dude said that they should dismantle themselves so they did hahaha. Some say that dude was Hitler himself. I am inclined to disagree
>>
>>267019

It got ripped apart by nationalisms. It's main fault was therefore its failure to provide the various nationalities with a valid alternative to separate nation-states.

Such attempts were made, but it was too little too late. Besides, the state was absolutely unwilling dismantle the privileged position of Muslims, which made the Empire unacceptable to Christians.
>>
>>267019
I'll rather ask how the fuck it managed to stay alive until 1918!
>>
One of the treaties at the end of World War I stipulated the end of the Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>267019

The rise of the Austro-Hungarians causing them to lose more and more of their European possessions. The resulting Dinduification of the empire as more and more white people left and you had comparatively more and more shitskins ensured that the Bix Noodening effect occurred, and the empire fell apart in an orgy of pointless violence.
>>
Renegade janissaries caused a lot of troubles desu
>>
>>267113
The British traitors stopped the Russians from decimating Constantinople at the end of the Russo-Turkish war. The British put battleships there to intimidate Russia from entering. Thanks to the British, the Ottomans lasted long enough to genocide three races, kill millions of their own people and others.
>>
>>267203
>as more and more white people left
But where would all the turks go instead?
>>
>>267340
I know this one, I still ask myself how the fuck it managed to stay alive until 1853!
>>
>>267019
To add an initial element, the Spanish/Portuguese exploration with a new route to India eventually weaned their economy and importance in trade by a lot.
>>
>>267405
>>267113
>!

You know where to go
>>
>>267340
Thank you perfidious Albion.
>>
>>267340
>traitors
Why? Were they allied to Russia or something?
>>
>>267019
The Dönmeh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWu6tD7OkMA

All of your answers are in that podcast.
>>
>>267979
>muh raice traiturs
>>
Failure to modernize their economy. Which is the same thing that brought down the Russian Empire only a few years prior.
>>
Is there a longer lasting Empire after antiquity (not counting the far-east)?
>>
>>268405
The Byzantines
>>
>>268384
>Choice of aiding non-whites or non-whites
i dont see the problem here
>>
>>267019
Turkish nationalism is what killed the Ottoman Empire once and for all.

However it got in that position from the Russians and Austrians attacking it at every opportunity. And the fact that it was run in a really shit way. Had it not been for Russia's rivals propping it up for so long it would have fallen sooner.
>>
Nationalism and ambitious military generals that wanted to carve out their own empires.
>>
>>267019
Ottoman empire had been been turning to shit for a long time due corruption. All the outer threats were the final nail in the coffin really.
>>
File: in this moment I am turkish.jpg (28 KB, 400x391) Image search: [Google]
in this moment I am turkish.jpg
28 KB, 400x391
>>267019
Corruption, resisting progression, unpopularity, and typical Turk ways.
>>
File: turks.png (16 KB, 673x402) Image search: [Google]
turks.png
16 KB, 673x402
>>
>>267019
If Portugal hadn't put restrictions on Indian Ocean Trade, they may have been able to Westernize and be competitive with the European powers for a while
>>
>>267340
As opposed to allowing Russia to sweep over the Empire, killing millions of their own people and others?

Fuck off, /pol/.
>>
>>267019
Nationalism became a thing.
It's the same reason Austria went to shit during this time period.
>>
>>269523
lol why wouldn't he British want that? Moneh?
>>
>>270384
>why wouldn't russia want their biggest rival to achieve more land and power
>>
>>270390
Why wouldn't Britain, I mean.
>>
>>269523
Trying to stall Russia and keep them away from the Bosphorus probably killed more Russians and Turks than if Russia just smashed the Ottoman army in one go.

It's like ripping off a plaster.
>>
>>270425
Yes, but it prevented Russia from gaining more power and possibly applying even greater pressure to Persia and Afghanistan, and maybe even China.
>>
>>270393
Why did they let their mutual rival, the ottomans keep it's power? Did the British think they could profit from relations with them?
>>
>>270439
The Ottomans weren't Britain's rival. The Ottoman empire was already so far in decline at this point to be a rival to anyone. The only reason it stayed alive long enough is because France and Britain had it on life support because neither of them wanted Russia to gain more power.

It's the same reason the US and other western powers supported Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war. None of them liked Iraq, but they all preferred Iraq to Iran.
>>
>>270439
Britain's foreign policy was focused around keeping the enemies of the empire weak at all costs, which is Britain could help a country in a war only to declare war on it a few years later.

>lifelong rivalry with france
>germany emerges and is rapidly overtaking all the other great powers, catching up with the UK
>suddenly best buddies with france to combat the german menace
>>
>>270456
>>270481
Would the best scenario have been Britian occupying Ottoman land?
>>
>>270439
The ottomans were not a rival, they were a joke. The brits saw the russians as a threat to their mediterranean hegemony. The ottoman empire, on the other hands, was britain's bitch and keked by them constantly.
>>
>>270526
That would be unfeasible since gaining a direct land border with Russia was something the UK wanted to avoid at all costs, and it's not as though the Ottoman land would've been easy to hold on to, and unlike India it wouldn't have generated enough revenue to justify the costs of defending and maintaining it.
>>
>>270526
Best scenario for who? Britain got what they wanted at the expense of the Russians.
>>
>>270526
Of fucking course not?

>feel the russians are a threat to your hegemony
>get another border with them so they can threaten that too

The ottomans were a nice buffer, like Persia, Afghanistan and Thailand (in this late case against France, not Russia, of course).
>>
>>2705 >>270551
Who was more powerful after the war and who was more powerful before, British or Russia?
>>
>>267019
low res flags
>>
>>267028
>But then in Istanbul some dude said that they should dismantle themselves so they did hahaha.
ahahaha he actually did it absolute madman
>>
>>268405
Byzantium
and I think Portugal&Denmark too?
>>
>>267019
They stopped conquering.
>>
The failure of Ottomanism and the rise of various nationalist movements within the empire, and STANDING IN THE WAY OF GLORIOUS ROSSIYA URRRRRAAAA
>>
>>270425
The British were the good guys. Just figured you should know that they never did anything wrong in history except bully America.
>>
>>276608
Except all of it.

1066-present is just a big list of British perfidiousness.
>>
>>267028
Surely you mean 1820?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.