[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one practice or adhere to Sufism? Also >tfw no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: aquila_sufism.jpg (177 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
aquila_sufism.jpg
177 KB, 768x1024
How does one practice or adhere to Sufism?

Also
>tfw no qt sufi gf
>>
>>266892
It sounds ebin but, from a westener perspective, it's pretty much like becoming a muslim monk. Not for most people here.
>>
>>266892
Sufism is what we need to promote in order to destroy salafism and wahabbism.
>>
>>266910
If I was going to be any monk, I would be one where I can smoke hash.
>>
Sufi has a cool aesthetic but unless you're actually down to practice an ascetic lifestyle you'll be miserable.

I'd rather enjoy my sensual pleasures desu senpai
>>
>>266916
Sufism is not a current you can spread to everyone. Sure you could promote more mysticism among muslims, but that would be hard. Wahabbism is way easier to sell and is directed towards an audience that would probably find sufism uninteresting.
>>
>>266892
Don't you find some kind of master to initiate you?
>>
>>266892
You arab fetishists are the worst
>>
>>267074
All the best Sufis are Persian
>>
>>267074
Im not into Arabs but I would date a qt Sufi.
>>
File: Bush%20&%20%20Kabbani.jpg (33 KB, 566x383) Image search: [Google]
Bush%20&%20%20Kabbani.jpg
33 KB, 566x383
>>267041
Sufi here. Yeah, you need a "Shaikh" or teacher. Easiest way to find one would probably be by asking Sufis, if you know any. Here is a pic of my Shaikh meeting Bush.
>>
>>267764
>imfuckingplying

That's pretty cool if you're serious
>>
File: Hisham%20with%20Bush.jpg (16 KB, 242x320) Image search: [Google]
Hisham%20with%20Bush.jpg
16 KB, 242x320
>>267774
It's real
>>
Sufism is the Muslim equivalent to Eastern Orthodoxy. Pretty based, but not going to be hugely popular with Muslims for the same reason Eastern Orthodoxy isn't hugely popular in the West.
>>
>>266916
Really all you need are more muslim philosophers to reform the religion to modern times
But I uh think those peeps get killed anytime there is a revolt
>>
Can sufis date/fuck? I'd love to seek a path to oneness with a qt Sufi.
>>
>>267237
she wouldn't date you, haram

>>267851
no, you'd have to convert
>>
>>267826
Movements like Daesh *are* modernist. If anything, philosophers are needed to bring back classical, orthodox Islam.
>>
>>267826
It also has to do with who controls Mecca and Medina. Before the 1900s, each muslim country had its own quirks and spins on Islam. It was very syncretic with traditions, even appropriating some other religious traditions. But then the Wahhabis gained control of the coties roughly at the same time that boats and planes made the Hajj easier, and therefore allowed a unified, violent and anti-western form of Islam to spread across the Muslim world. That form is the modern form.
>>
You can check this out if interested http://sufilive.com/
>>
>>266916
Sufism is practically an off-shoot of Shi'a Islam.

They're technically not Shi'a, but Sufis accept Ali as the theological successor to Mohamed and are therefore closer to Shi'ite Islam.
>>
>>267873
You know ISIS' explicit aim is to take the world back to 400 AD right?
You don't get much more classical.
>>
>>269755
Daesh is not about that at all. It's Islamic because the Islamic world didn't secularize, so all ideologies are within the framework of religion.

Tell me if this sound similar to Daesh to you: https://www.marxists.org/subject/anarchism/nechayev/catechism.htm
>>
File: RT+Photo+12.jpg (44 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
RT+Photo+12.jpg
44 KB, 306x306
My only exposure to Sufism is Richard Thompson.

> "By the time I was 20, I had worked my way through Watkins bookshop in Cecil Court [in central London], from A is for anthroposophy to Z is for Zen. In all that, I thought the Sufis [the "mystical poets" of Islam] had the right balance and the right connection. And at exactly the moment I arrived at that thought I saw there was a Sufi meeting two minutes from our house in Hampstead, at a church hall in Belsize Park. So I went down there and I'm looking round this circle of invocation and I realised I knew four of them, all musicians I had done session work with. And then there were all these gorgeous women and great food. So it seemed right..."

QTs and grub, seems a compelling case.
>>
Many prominent Sufi's were also otherwise fully abiding normal Muslims. Sufi is what you do after you fulfill adherence to Sharia, it's not just some happy go lucky oriental philosophy on life that anyone can practice. Approaching it without Islam is just going to lead you down a shitty path, don't even consider it if you aren't already willing to live as a Muslim in the first place.
>>
>>270129
Can Quranists be Sufis?
>>
>>266892
Convert, find a shaikh, see God everywhere, and love. Love is arguably one of the most vital parts of it. Dhikr, (I forgot the word for ''becoming infused with the spirit of God''), and love. Also, finding the mystic dimensions of the Qur'an, and loving the Prophet (salla allahu a'leyhi wa sallam)
>>266916
The problem being that Sufi's are a major minority, and Sunnis generally frown upon it.
>>267774
This comment might be a bit misled. You can have Sufi Shaikhs at distance nowadays, and one shaikh can have millions of followers. Although back in the day it used to be a lot more personal. It's interesting, because the followers are supposed to have a direct spiritual relation with the Shaikh, and have to confess their dreams and all their secrets to them. If I'm not mistaken they demand total obedience as well. So they are incredibly powerful people if they have a large following.
>>
File: Abu-Bakr-al-Baghda_2965558k.jpg (104 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
Abu-Bakr-al-Baghda_2965558k.jpg
104 KB, 858x536
>>269755
This is objectively wrong.
>Have modern state apparatus
>State controls everything
>Drive Japanese trucks
>Shoot Russian rifles
>Use mass media for propaganda
>Modern cinematography
>Reaction to contemporary Western values
>Music as propaganda
>Adhere to literal fundamentalist conceptions of Islam, not prevalent until the later Twentieth Century (unless you want to start with Wahhabism, but that wasn't a reaction to the West)
It might be wrapped in ancient rhetoric, but Da'esh is so far from modern it's downright laughable. You might go ''well hurr fkn tard how dey gun win war without weps'', but in that you are trampling your own assertions about their venture back to 400 AD (reminder that Muhammad (PBUH) was estimated to be born in 570)
>>
>>270361
>but Da'esh is so far from modern it's downright laughable.
Needed to be ''Ancient'' instead of ''Modern'', obviously. Mea culpa
>>
>>267792
Nah, the western christendom also had mystic movements
>>
>>268239
There's shia sufis, there's sunni sufis. Shia sufis just have less problems with the orthodox mullahs of their sect (which doesn't mean they don't have). Sufism is not a branch of islam comparable with sunnism, shi'ism or ibadism.
>>
>>270164
Pretty sure they are the opposite. Summarizing, quranism is about interpreting the book literally, sufism about discovering it's non-literal meaning.
>>
File: 1443173363895.gif (39 KB, 420x461) Image search: [Google]
1443173363895.gif
39 KB, 420x461
>>
>>267764
so tell us about your contemplation. do you watch the breath to go into jhanas? do you do loving-kindness contemplation ?
>>
>>270448
I said they're not technically Shi'a, but isn't recognizing Ali to be the theological heir of Islam closer to Shi'ite?

I think Sufism sidesteps the whole political issue of the Caliphs but theologically it's still closer to Shi'ite - or perhaps we should say Shi'ite Islam is closer to Sufism.
>>
>>270462
>quranism is about interpreting the book literally
Nope.
The Quran is written in a poetic style, most of the verses can be interpreted in different ways. Of course, some Quranists preach a literal interpretation of the Book.
>>
>>270618
Why do people always connect Christianity to Stoicism?
>>
Sufism is based and I hate Islam apologists
>>
>>270757
idk
>>
>>270733
Well, Sunnis don't disagree that Ali was A successor to Mohammed, just not THE successor.
>>
>>270757
because thats how they got the Roman patricians to convert early in their history.
>>
>>270757
Christianity was heavily influenced by Stoicism.
>>
>>270129
If they are smart enough they will know "sharia" is actually not that sacred. Sharia is only arab wording for law.
the purpose of law is only to keep society in check and distribute justice.

and if we talk about law and justice, it is always open to new jurisprudence (fiqh)
>>
>>270794
how about, sufi is actually spiritual essence of islam.
and most of islamist (political sect) is actually just a political cult?
>>
>>267764
Salam, when did you take your bay'ah?
>>
>>270733
Please don't make comments on things you know nothing about. Sunnis recognize Ali as one of the four rightly guided caliphs, and refer to Hasan and Husayn as the leaders of the dwellers in paradise. This isn't something that's only found within the Shi'a. Also, Sufism has both Shi'a and Sunni movements. For example, >>267764 This anon follows a Sunni Sufi order known as the "Naqshbandi order." I personally used to follow a Sunni Sufi sheikh by the name of Sheikh Sidi, who belonged to the Shadhilliya order.
>>
>>276587
>a pacifist monotheism.
Really?
>>
Sufism is great if you wanna become a magician, there is a sufi way called badawi, i went as far as the initiation(isolation in a hub for 44 days with nothing other than dates and water) and met an angel called sasaubi, he had a body of a fish and a head of a beautiful female, now we are best buds.
>>
>>278574
That's nice.
>>
File: grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg (32 KB, 496x431) Image search: [Google]
grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg
32 KB, 496x431
>>278574
>>
>>270733
Like I said, they're literally shia. Some of them. Others are literally sunni. And I suppose there's even ibadi sufis but fuck me if I know.

>>278100
> and refer to Hasan and Husayn as the leaders of the dwellers in paradise

While I knew everything you say here and agree, I didn't know about this specific point. Isn't that quite contradictory? Those two were literally murdered by the sunni caliph, don't the sunnis accept that Muawiyah and his dynasty were rightful caliphs?
>>
>Westerners falling for low tier philosophies and religions

I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>266916

>not Quranism
>>
>>279404
Doesn't get much lower than Protestant Christianity.
>>
>>279198
>don't the sunnis accept that Muawiyah and his dynasty were rightful caliphs?

I really don't know where you are getting this from as Muawiyah is remembered as one of the worse caliphs by both Sunnis and Shi'as.
>>
>>280521
Well, his family were caliphs for almost a hundred years, right? Or does all islam dislike the Umayyads?
>>
>>280530
There's a reason as to why Sunnis regard the first four caliphs as "the rightly guided caliphs."
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.