[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/, /tg/ here, I need some help with history stuff. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: saladin.gif (67 KB, 249x338) Image search: [Google]
saladin.gif
67 KB, 249x338
Hey /his/, /tg/ here, I need some help with history stuff. I'm playing european muslim convert in 12th century england (in secret of course) in a pseudo-historical game (some details altered, such as pagan gods and christian saints actually doing shit). I'm writing a letter to Saladin introducing myself and seeking his help in setting up trade links with the east and also some support in my secret ambitions of bringing down the feudal system and bringing britain under the rule of a caliphate.

I need some advice on Islamic greetings, titles, figures of speech, letter-writing conventions, etc. How should it be addressed, that sort of thing.
>>
>>265031
wait, are you playing a board game by yourself?
>>
File: 1431719529669.png (22 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1431719529669.png
22 KB, 300x188
>>265031
>christian saints existing and doing shit
>muslim convert
>in fucking 12th century england
you aren't very bright aren't you?
Just say it with me: How do I contact ISIS from England?
>>
>>265051
Who the fuck cares. Its obviously fantasy.
also
>Muslim converts actually pretty typical
>>
File: ABSOLUTELY HARAM.jpg (96 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTELY HARAM.jpg
96 KB, 531x471
>>265051
>>265061
He was a trader who spent years in the east and converted and married while there. As far as he's concerned this setting's Christianity is MAXIMUM POLYTHEISM and completely haram.
>>
>>265031
Well, that's kind of a difficult question. Courtly custom is something that comes from aristocratic education and experience, not religious instruction. A 12th century Englishman, Muslim or not, would probably be unfamiliar with such customs, even if he was a merchant in the east.

Your best bet is to read a lot of Usama ibn Munqidh.
>>
>>265156
My guy was a minor noble back home and spent a fair few years over there studying (after returning home he settled in Oxford and became an academic), so his knowledge should be just about on par with someone who grew up in the muslim world.

I should say, this is all just for flavour, it will be of no real consequence if I don't do it just right, it's just that I'd quite like it if I did.
>>
>>265172
It's not really about knowledge so much as social circles. A proper address to a sultan is something only the elite would tend to have experience and knowledge of protocol for, so it'd be difficult to see how a minor Frankish nobleman would learn any of it even if he lived in Cairo or Damascus. I think your best bet is to consider whatever experience he might had speaking with peers - other minor nobility, and extrapolating some manners from that while also throwing in some English/Frankish customs on addressing kings.
>>
>>265208
Mmm. Alright. What about signing it? I assume muslims have completely different ways of ending a letter to "yours sincerely" or "all the best" or whatever.
>>
File: britanon.jpg (52 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
britanon.jpg
52 KB, 620x387
>>265061
>>265087

Mehraba, my name is Ken-Al-Alawi.

I’m a 27 year old British fitrah (natural-born muslim for you infidels). I do calligraphy on my parchment, and spend my days learning the teachings of Muhammed and playing superior arab instruments (Doumbek, Dohola, Buzuq deriviatives)

I train with my yatagan every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is curved over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Arabic fluently, both Bahrani and the Njadi dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about overthrowing the infidels' corrupt system, establishing a colony and our sharia law, which I follow 100%

When I get my response from Saladin, I am moving to Baghdad to attend a prestigious Mosque to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become a vali for the new province or at least a beilerbey!

I own several turbans, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I overthrow the feudal system and establish a muslim one, so I can fit in easier. I pray 5 times a day to my allah and kaaba and speak Arabic as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in the new vilayet!
>>
>>265237
I honestly can't recall, so I'd only hazard a guess here and say something invoking God's protection, mercy, or blessing on the recipient.
>>
File: 134581998741.jpg (71 KB, 448x473) Image search: [Google]
134581998741.jpg
71 KB, 448x473
>>265243
>musical instruments

ABSOLUTELY HARAM

only echo drenched vocal harmonies are halal
>>
>>265243
this is pretty much what I had in mind when I created him

>>265298
Would ma'salam work, do you think, or is that only in actual personal encounters?
>>
>>265243
>tfw shemagh is the new fedora
M'prophet
>>
>>265339
*tips headscarf*
>>
you could address a muslim liege with title
"amirul mukminiin"
that means leader of the people with faith
>>
>>265690
That does seem useful, I'll include that, thanks.

Any particular ideas on how to end it? Know if ma'salam is only used in spoken encounters or if it'd work?
>>
>>265753
for greetings use Assalamualaikum Warrahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

it means in english, peace and blessings from god to you

it could be used as either greetings and closing statement

it is traditional indonesian/malaysian muslim way.

you could use it for your liege or an audience if you are in a big forums
>>
>>265804
Alright, thanks. I'm a bit wary of using an indonesian greeting for a 12th century kurd, but at the very least that gives me a helpful starting point.
>>
Why is there such a focus on peace in muslim greetings and honorifics? The religion itself is somewhat martial, but you have peace be upon up, peace unto you, peace and blessings from god to you, go with peace, etc, they refer to it constantly. What sort of peace are they referring to exactly? Is something lost in translation when we say "peace"?
>>
>>265031
this might help
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad's_letters_to_the_Heads-of-State
>>
>>266209
peace, tranquility, calmness, stability

basically "i hope your shit is not, and will not be, fucked up"
>>
>>265753
Saladin was not Amir Al muminin tho.
>>
>>269408
In this setting Baghdad has apparently just sworn fealty to him so he might well be
>>
>>269408
yes he is a sultan
but amirul mukminin still could be used
>>
>>266209
because actually "islam" purpose in the human world is actually pursuit of peace.
but lot of things go wrong.
including lot of muslim that thinks the only way to achieve a peace is by copy-paste-ed quran literally or muhammad warring policy

they never think if this muhammad is born in this era, with nowadays morals and knowledge.there is lot of chance he said his past ways is obsolete
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.