[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please enlighten me as to why Margaret Thatcher is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 26
File: Margaret-Thatcher--008.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Margaret-Thatcher--008.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
Can someone please enlighten me as to why Margaret Thatcher is so hated? I always thought it was because she privatized Britain's coal mining industry because the government couldn't afford it anymore, but every time I see people talk about her I always feel like I'm missing something.
>>
She destroyed the middle class
>>
>>262116
She wants people to take responsibility for their own lives.
>>
>>262116
Margret Thatcher the kiddy snatcher, they used to call her.
>>
>>262119
How?
>>
>>262116
She probably caused the troubles to last another 10 years longer than it otherwise would have.
>>
No that's literally it, she did the right thing only to be hated by unions who in turn ran sweeping campaigns against her.

She saved the economy and people are still bitter about it even though they don't have any other answers as to what could be done.
If anyone in Britain ever tells you they are working class tell them to fuck off and stop defining your life's failures by your class.
>>
She is cool, if you are an reptillian jew who runs a few banks.
>>
She destroyed the Norths working class economy. The industry wasn't needed anymore and actual a drain on the overall economy but it was a way of life for a bunch of people.
>>
>Maggie stole me milk

Just liberals crying desu. Can't see anything wrong with her record as an American.
>>
>>262116

Misogynists.
>>
>>262116
Threw a shitfit over Operation Urgent Fury.
>>
She at one point had to have her aides talk her out of deporting all the Catholics out of Northern Ireland. So, you know, some hostility there.
>>
She did what had to be done for the greater good in the long run.

By doing so, she fucked millions of people in the short to medium term.
>>
>>262148
That's because you're an American.
>>
>>262132
Northern pride in England is like blacks being proud of the ghetto.
>>
>>262171
Except Southern England actually is a ghetto and it actually is full of blacks.
>>
>>262177
And now the whole country is getting filled with Islamic riffraff who might be a terrorist.
>>
>>262171
What southern softy shithole did you crawl out of, my man? Let's fucking sit on the tube not daring to make eye contact because, my god, another fucking human being. Oh, got to dilute my lager with a quarter of lemonade because I don't dare have too much fun — what would mother think? I'm a vegan, you know, and quite frankly, I think meat is absolutely barbaric! The North of England is the height of civilization, you stupid cunt, where the savagery of humanity meets the peak of industrialization and they collide. Couldn't the prissy little blond haired southern cunt handle the banter? I've been to the South — once was enough — and everyone looked the same, sounded like bank managers and when you nodded at them as you passed politely on the street, they looked down at their feet, ashamed of themselves for not being real men.
>>
>>262116
She is a woman.
>>
>>262216
Wew lad
>>
>>262142
This is probably the best answer in here. Along with the troubles thing and the fact that she felt the need to be a bitch about it
>>
>>262216
Southern culture is what happens when the rich beat people down for 959 years.
>>
She sent my brother to his death to protect some inbred sheep farmers on the other side of the world.

Also she protected pedophiles and had some really fucked up ideas about how to handle northern Ireland
>>
>>262324
She also was one of the great leaders to help break the back of U.S.S.R. and end the cold war.
>>
>>262357
>implying any western leaders did shit other than continue cold wars arms build up
>imply the Warsaw Pact didn't just fall apart on its own accord due to the rotten nature of Bolshevik Communism
>>
>>262116
Shes not. As usual the emotional and vocal left sounds bigger then it actually is.
>>
>>262142
>>262262
This is about what I figured. Thanks for the responses.
>>262216
As a Texas country boy, this is how I feel every time I go to the city.
>>
>>262375
>Bolshevik Communism
>implying all forms of communism aren't bad
>>
>>262171
>muh blue collar
>muh poverty culture

As a burger, seeing how Brits define themselves in terms of upper class/working class is quite the experience. Working class northerners glamorize and enforce their shitty ways of like just like ghetto blacks do. Aye lets work really hard at our blue collar job, marry a slag at young age with a few kids, and spend the night at the pub with your lads smoking and drinking while talking about shit life is. Also you better be fucking proud of it! #manchesterpoverty
>>
>>262216
Your definition of real men is some uneducated northerner working a blue collar then dropping dead of a heart attack at 50. But hey ol Johnny boy lived a life of going to pubs and being proud of his football team that made millions of his poverty.
>muh pride
>>
>>262125
Wealth concentration due to hurr durr deregulate evrything
>>
File: 1447839149305.jpg (55 KB, 372x527) Image search: [Google]
1447839149305.jpg
55 KB, 372x527
>>262456
>Implying communism isn't the dogs bollocks.
>>
>>262162
this cannot be true
>>
>>262456
What's bad about a bunch of stupid hippies buying some property out in the middle of nowhere and trying to create some weird social experiment on it? Communism doesn't just mean the soviet union and all that.
>>
>>262216
Why do you all speak like such uneducated inbreds then?
>>
File: 1441252094291.jpg (17 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
1441252094291.jpg
17 KB, 234x216
Poll taxes are pretty fucked up and incredibly regressive in the sense of being harsh on the poor. There was a reason so many people defaulted. For those who don't know, it wasn't even a flat tax, it was a fixed amount if you were employed.
>>
>>262448
I think it's just generally how rural people feel in cities. So many strangers.
>>
>>262142
>>262262
>>
> ITT but hurt northern monkeys wallowing in their own gritty authenticity.
Maybe one day you'll have a decent restaurant and a gdp higher than eastern Europe. Until then enjoy your pie barms you uneducated scallies.
>>
File: can't barage the farage.jpg (58 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
can't barage the farage.jpg
58 KB, 624x351
>>262116

She wanted people to take responsibility for their own lives and situations. Essentially, being poor was the result of poor planning and investments. Which she technically isn't wrong, it cause some serious butthurt.

She kinda caused the Troubles to last longer than it should have and entered into a war over some shitty islands that weren't of benefit to anyone, however I'm on the fence over this, its either let Argentine away with a fucking invasion of UK territory and lose face on the world stage, or kick their fucking arse and teach those shitters what's what in true British fashion.

IMO Thatcher was god-tier politician and PM. Worked hard and seriously tried to mend a broken Britain. If anything, Blair, Brown and Cameron should be facing the kind of shit we throw at Thatcher. Blair entered us into a war that wasn't ours, Brown put us in another war that wasn't ours to fight and now Cameron wants to go into yet another fucking war, a war we are not trained nor equipped to fight.

The UK is dead, Thatcher couldn't save it, Cameron won't save it, maybe Jeremy Corbyn will, but who the fuck knows. Nigel was too good to be true, as does Corbyn.

Britannia rules no more. Now I'm sad.
>>
>>262799

If anything, the poor use local services more. Why shouldn't everyone pay the same amount? It gives everyone an equal stake in their local community, and an incentive to reduce their reliance on local government.
>>
>>262439

>mfw lefties try to run a country
>>
File: CM78PSxWgAAbEge.png (121 KB, 966x828) Image search: [Google]
CM78PSxWgAAbEge.png
121 KB, 966x828
>>262116
Idiots blame her for the coal mine closures

For me its the milk incident that cannot be forgiven
>>
>>262177
Except the only place with them is London, its the midlands and north that has all the darkies.
>>
>>262148
She is a liberal though, very liberal
>>
File: coat.gif (4 MB, 426x213) Image search: [Google]
coat.gif
4 MB, 426x213
>>262161

I would too.

The entire Commonwealth opposed it, US went ahead anyway "cause we da big boyz, we dindu nuffin, dem commies r bad k?". Fucking Reagan.
>>
>>262216
>The south is all london

Another northern monkey :^)
>>
>>263436

YFW it's a similar graph for milk. Labour stopped taxpayer funded milk for far more more kids than Thatcher did.
>>
>>263436
I know. I can't believe those fucking Tories (*spits*) took away our milk!

That's why I vote Labour, they gave us the milk back!
>>
Because people are under the impression that they are owed a job for life as a miner because their dad was one, even though noone wants what they're mining and it's not actually making any money.

It was all going to come crashing down at some point.
>>
>>262124

> kiddy snatcher

Nah, that's Labours thing
>>
Thatcher left the Government with the most capital investments, tried to tackle social mobility with the right to buy and housing projects but is hated by leftists because she resisted the EU financial taxes making London the haven it is today whilst closing the dead horses that were mines.
>>
>>262216
This desu.
>>
>>262132
Yep, this is the one. If you look at the countries that went the red way at that point in Europe, they all went to shit, instead Thatcher made that kind of politics completely impossible in the UK, and the left hate her for both accomplishing that and I think even more for clearly proving them and their ideals wrong.
>>
>>262766
What's bad about that is that they all died of scurvy due to being ignorant morons and fucked up a whole lot of kids before going out. (The part where hippies die of the ignorance scurvy isn't bad in itself, of course)
>>
>plebs ITT

It wasn't just that she closed the major industries, it's that those things were the backbones of a lot of communities throughout the country and she did nothing to replace them. There are still areas with high crime and drug rates because they're still trying to recover from having their major source of employment vanish.

Bare in mind, it took around 200 years for those industries to develop, and only about 20 for them to leave, it was a massive shift. People probably wouldn't be so mad if she had made the change more gradual or if she had done something to help those communities recover

For people getting stupidly smug over ''working class northerners getting ownt'' like >>262132, even Norman Tebbit said that he regretted the mine closures because of the devestation it brought to working class communities. Thatcher only ever got support by appealing to the working class who were irritated by the labour party/trade union's assumption they would always have their support. You guys are just being edgy about something you don't know about

There are of course other things, people have mentioned the troubles and also the poll tax, which were both frankly dumb things for her to do. But causing unemployment seems to be the biggest reason
>>
>>263690

I should also mention that she got forced out of power by her own party because of the Poll Tax, the poll tax is probably her only policy which is universally agreed upon to be a fucking dumb idea. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably just being edgy
>>
>>262216
top notch pasta, saved
>>
>>262746
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jun/16/northernireland.catholicism
>>
File: ainsley laugh.gif (1 MB, 300x257) Image search: [Google]
ainsley laugh.gif
1 MB, 300x257
>>262216
>The North of England is the height of civilization
>>
>>263425
>Why shouldn't everyone pay the same amount?
Because the marginal utility of the dollar diminishes.
>>
File: 1386170256247[1].jpg (278 KB, 1000x976) Image search: [Google]
1386170256247[1].jpg
278 KB, 1000x976
>>263751
They are absolutely the height of civilization.
>>
>>263425
>Why shouldn't everyone pay the same amount?

Name the magic number we can charge everyone regardless of income and sufficiently cover the budget without completely screwing the majority of people.

>If anything, the poor use local services more.

You're actually arguing for regressive taxes? My fucking god. Do you not understand the basic principle that you can't take more from people with less, because they just don't have it?

>It gives everyone an equal stake in their local community, and an incentive to reduce their reliance on local government.

It would increase their incentive to riot and commit crimes, sure.
>>
>>263425
>and an incentive to reduce their reliance on local government.
You know that's like the #1 cause of organized crime, right?
>>
>>263425

>actually arguing that the poor should pay more tax

you're not a conservative friend, you're just an idiot
>>
>>262724
are you saying uk doesn't have wealth more concentrated on post thatcher than pre thatcher?

hurring and durring don't cover up the facts.
>>
She covered up the fact that her ministers were raping and killing young boys.
>>
>>263765

Human society has survived for the majority of history without modern tax levels. All that really needs funding is a judicial system and foreign policy/defence.
>>
>>262799
This

It was introduced a year earlier in Scotland than everywhere else which helped fuel devolution
>>
>>263789
No, most societies imposed quite high taxes on its citizens. In the early modern era the poor had to pay as much as 2/3 of what they produced.
>>
>>263690
>even Norman Tebbit said that he regretted the mine closures because of the devestation it brought to working class communities.
Welshfag here, do you realize that our most famous practically national epic novel's about how much those shithole mines ruined our country? Even benefits scum have their standard of life higher now than miners and the country isn't as black as Satan's ass anymore just so fag Londoners can conquer darkies.
>>
>>263786

this is worse than anything else she did desu. The government is currently trying their best to cover up the fact she did because they know it will kill her legacy forever
>>
>>263798

>Welshfag here, do you realize that our most famous practically national epic novel's about how much those shithole mines ruined our country?

source? I'm genuinely intruiged
>>
>>263806
'How Green Was My Valley' by Richard Llewellyn. It's not actually epic at all, just miserable.
>>
File: 1600-1789 France Tax Burden.jpg (559 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
1600-1789 France Tax Burden.jpg
559 KB, 3300x2550
>>263797

France
>>
>>262116
>thatcher, thatcher, thatcher, thatcher, the jungle canyon rope bridge snatcher
>>
>>263827

I just read the plot summary and it reminds me of what basically happened with my family who were welsh miners

>everyone dies
>move away because everyone in your family is dead
>>
>>263830
>Never goes above 23 days' work
>Starts out at apparently 3
"Boohoo, the terrible burdens of a medieval peasant!"

We've really just gotten fucked, haven't we? Only technology makes it so we can't tell.
>>
>>263798

Not denying that these places were pretty bleak, fuck I wouldn't be surprised if people voted Thatcher just out of hope that they could escape. But she still failed to invest in these areas which is what causes the resentment

I do agree though that this idea that they were perfect beforehand is pure romanticisation of the past
>>
>>263839
You forgot the
>very landscape where you were born is a scarred, polluted pit
part.

I know I'll get flamed for mentioning him on /his/, but this is what Tolkien hated about industrialization that caused him to invent Mordor. Shit was FILTHY unti the '90s or so.
>>
>>263690
It's far cheaper to import coal all the way from Australia than to mine it domestically.
>>
>>263789
>Human society has survived for the majority of history without modern tax levels.

Human society was much less reliant on wide-scale technology and infrastructure before modern times. Also, implying modern taxes are at some kind of height is dishonest, pic related for the US, not even considering shit like feudalism.

>All that really needs funding is a judicial system and foreign policy/defence.

Good luck having a judicial system without an executive branch to enforce the law. You do realize services like welfare, education and public hospitals indirectly reduce crime by providing minimal needs and increasing social mobility? Look what happened in the Flour Wars.
>>
>>263751
North England is responsible for modern computing, modern steel and stainless, modern armaments, the jet engine and countless other inventions without which Southerners would still be living in shitholes.
>>
>>263690
I wish people would realize that a certain level of unemployment is desirable because it lowers prices and increases wages, but it seems to make people a lot unhappier than inflation. Also

>we must create jobs durr hurr
>>
File: pendle_hill_sunset1.jpg (289 KB, 950x713) Image search: [Google]
pendle_hill_sunset1.jpg
289 KB, 950x713
>>263859

You are now aware that Mordor is Lancashire, covered in industrial smoke from the cities. Mount Doom is Pendle Hill.
>>
>>263882
It's nice that you left out the entire part of US history that precedes the wartime tax hikes, including the original introduction of the income tax, the single greatest ill to plague America. This makes you look like an unbiased and good-faith debater.
>>
>>262116
>Can someone please enlighten me as to why Margaret Thatcher is so hated?
She was right.
>>262119
>She destroyed the middle class
>median income of the middle fifth was flat before Thatcher, grew every year during and after Thatcher until the Downturn
Pick one
>fewer people self-identified as 'working class' in 1995 than at any other time previous
>middle class shrank
Pick one
>>262132
>>
>>263896
I didn't create the chart, you fucking dipshit, and I didn't say they were never lower than today, just that it's not at an all time high.
>>
>>263859

it was a very common sentiment until after WWI, 90% of our popular culture up until that point was about hating industrialisation. After WWI people started identifying with it.
>>
>>262216
>I grew up in West Virginia mining country
>Was in the army
>Got a job in Detroit when I got out
>Friend of mine was getting married to a girl from York, flew to York for the wedding
>Spent a week in Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and York
If those slack-jawed faggots are the 'hard men' of England, then I cannot imagine how soft Southern brits must be.
>>
>Very liberal
>Does what is best for the country as a whole
>Is essentially defined by greater good for the sake of the majority
>BUT SHE MADE THE STUPID PEOPLE MAD

Maggy best
>>
File: enoch-powell-007.jpg (21 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
enoch-powell-007.jpg
21 KB, 460x276
>>263786
Also she betrayed Powell.
>>
>>262142
>My crappy, dangerous, shit-paying job is horrible
>The entire nation is actually losing money propping up my shitty, dangerous, low-wage job
>Leader of the nation decides this is unjust and changes things
>HOW DARE YOU CHANGE MY WAY OF LIFE!
Makes me remember what John Wayne said
>"Life is hard. It is harder when you are stupid"
>>
File: 1416895798524.jpg (91 KB, 766x507) Image search: [Google]
1416895798524.jpg
91 KB, 766x507
>>263951
>tfw Enoch Powell warned us all
>>
>>263951

It really is funny how everything he said turned out to be true. Same for Barry Goldwater to a lesser extent.
>>
>>263423

> liked Nigel
> has a kind word for Corbyn

I'm a lefty and normally wouldn't have a lot nice to say about ol' Nige, but you seem like a decent fellow.
>>
>>262116
She stole the Malvinas boludo
>>
File: bungeye.gif (43 KB, 200x247) Image search: [Google]
bungeye.gif
43 KB, 200x247
>>263981
I'm a lefty, but come on, Nigel has a charm to him. He's pretty much the sole reason people vote for UKIP instead of the BNP.

>Number one your honour, just look at him
>>
>>264311
Thatcher is the queen of neoliberalism

What she started, she didn't have a clue what she unleashed

Watch the Mayfair Set and other alan curtis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=234H8X1-JiA
>>
File: sensable chuckle.gif (176 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
sensable chuckle.gif
176 KB, 200x198
>>262162
that would have been to based to handle
>>
>>262116
muh mines
muh milk
muh malvinas
muh monetary policies
>>
>>264311
But the BNP and UKIP have almost nothing in common. Ones basically max socialism with some nationalism and the other is a conservative party ran by libertarians.
>>
>>264446

to your average voter it doesn't matter so much as long as it means no immigrants
>>
>>262710
That seems to be the behavior of poorfags regardless of nationality, race or geographic location. They know their lives are shit, and the mask their defensiveness with false pride.
>>
>>262216
As an americunt, I find it funny how the negative stereotypes of our North and our South are the same, just switched around
>>
>>264504

nah son, you're acting like muh working class pride hasn't been central to Britain's cultural landscape since forever. It's something we're stuck with whether you like it or not, it's why middle class teenagers try their hardest to try and talk like working class people by saying words like ''senpai'' innapropriately.
>>
>>264547

the other big difference is the north is associated with socialism and the south with conservativism/thatcherism
>>
>>264553

>by saying words like ''senpai'' innapropriately.

hit by the word filter
>>
>>263690
As an American, I can't really see how Thatcher could've helped those working class communities. Once those low waged and low skilled jobs are gone, they're gone and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Wouldn't the new jobs require a college degree?
>>
>>264560
but even in the US, the south has the reputation of being red/Republican/bible thumpers/conservatives, while the north are thought of as being the blue/Democrat/freedomhating/overeducatedfaggots

>>264553
In the US we see a similar thing, where young people either identify with hophop/street culture or they identify with country/redneck culture
>>
>>264575
Also as an American, I'd tend to agree. It sounds like the mining industry was fucked, and she was tasked with pulling the plug
>>
>>262162
> deporting all the Catholics out of Northern Ireland

Holy shit this is beautiful, why did this have to not happen
>>
>>264575
>>264583
>whole towns depend on industry
>suddenly this industry is removed and replaced by nothing
>these towns have been fucked ever since

What part of it aren't you getting? Coal mining becoming obsolete is irrelevant. The fact is that the society of entire regions was radically altered and then ignored.
>>
>>264676
>>suddenly this industry is removed
Correction : subsidies which were bankrupting the nation were halted.

>>these towns have been fucked ever since
Perhaps they should try to create new jobs instead of spending their welfare checks at the pub?
>>
UK was full of socialists back in the 70s. Nothing was getting produced because the workers spent more time striking then in the factories and mines.

Thatcher came in and gave the commie labor what they deserved.
>>
>>264575
>As an American, I can't really see how Thatcher could've helped those working class communities

She is seen as basically abandoning the North and making no attempts at stimulating the economy. i dont blame her for it as industry had been declining due to its inablility to compete with French,German and American industry. North-South divide is terrible though senpai i dont think Americans get how bad it is

http://www.economist.com/node/21562938
>>
She wasted our oil money on paying the dole instead of investing it and made everyone subsidise relatively wealthy peoples home ownership
>>
>>263882
>historical tax levels
>begins in 1910

You are aware that the capitalist economy is twice as longer than that and that western civilization is about 20 times longer than that?
>>
>>262216
>Southern softy shithole
Nice alliteration
>>
>>264706
American here, I blame our liberals, who paint the UK as some sort of progressive utopia. Apparently, the North is like Upstate NY while the South is more like NYC and Long Island.
>>
4chan in general is right-wing echo chamber.
Here you have people who unironically claim Reagan was a good guy and competent politician.
>>
>>265633
Fucking this. This is one of the reasons I prefer reddit, this place sucks.
>>
>>264592
The IRA was already radicalized enough.

A literal genocide would just push them into ISIS-tier. Not to mention it would probably wreck Britain's international standing.
>>
>>265665
Nobody wants your kind here. The rest of the Internet is the real echo chamber.
>>
>>265665
>This is one of the reasons I prefer reddit, this place sucks.
WELP
>>
>>266670
>Deportation
>A literal genocide
Yep, can't see any flaws here. Tight as a drum!
>>
>>262116
the left hate her
why? the fuck should I know, I don't speek nutjob.
but here are my 3 guesses
1)she fixed the economy by breaking the downward spiral that was confy for the left
2)she wasn't a pussy and got the islands back standing up to forign agression and not feeling bad about it
3) she was a woman that made it to the top on het own merit and not by pleading her vagina and waving the feminist flag. Can you imagine the furry of a leftist demanding gneder quota just to be hit in the face with a "well Thatcher didn't need any of that to be our greatest PM since Churchill and you only want to get into the commons. Are you that incompetent?"
>>
>>262124

Milk snatcher
>>
>>266935

are you unironically supporting the deportation of catholics from northern ireland

I just want to make sure
>>
>>267009
No, I'm just saying that forced bussing isn't the same as killing everyone.
>>
>>266968
4. She gutted the northern industries with no remorse and created a giant divided between the north and south of England
5. She irredeemably made the troubles far worse than they should have been
6. Any women trying to run for Prime Minister ever again will immediately be compared to her. (Should we vote for ms x? I mean, we all know what happened last time there was a female pm....)
>>
>>267120
You're right, the phrase I was looking for is "ethnic cleansing".
>>
>Mfw she was called kiddy snatcher for years
>Mfw I remember this halfway through reading an article on how she helped cover up mass child rape by mps

I got kicked off the bus for laughing when the person behind me noticed what the article was
>>
>>267153
*Milk snatcher
Fuck my life
>>
her policies werent particularly good but the debate that surrounds her is idiotic, with those who despise her equally as stupid as those who hold her up as a saint
>>
>>264553
>talk like working class people by saying words like ''senpai'' innapropriately

Ouch.
>>
>>262132

Three ways to piss off a Britbong leftist:

1. Realize Maggie got shunted a shitty situation and had to make the best choice, which she did.
2.Point out the reason coal died was because the unions refused to produce without striking.
3.Oh, and Viva Pinochet.
>>
>>262324
>Protecting pedophiles

She stole Labour's job, you mean.
>>
>>263827
>'How Green Was My Valley'

Pretty much the definition of Montana coal country as of this year, too.
>>
Intellectuals. They are parasite who depend upon a large public sector to live, either as bureaucrats or as "public policy consultants", planners etc, so when a government reduces public spending and people have to actually work to make money, these intellectuals became very butthurt.

Notice how intellectuals always have a nice spot for rulers who expand the size of government, never the opposite. They will defend Mao Zedong before they defend Margaret Thatcher.
>>
Question to leftists:
If what Thatcher did was so bad and such a massive fuck up, why didn't future labour governments change the policies she implemented? It seems like her reforms were a bitter medicine that saved Britain from decadence.
>>
>>267745

>3.Oh, and Viva Pinochet.

to be fair that's a good way to piss off anyone outside of 4chan
>>
>>267823
It's curious how it's more socially acceptable to be a Stalinist (10 million victims) or a Maoist (40 million victims) than a fan of Pinochet (3.000 victims).
>>
>>263705
The poll tax only makes sense to non-Brits, I think. The problem is that the way it's implemented is really medieval, relying on landowners/landlords to keep records on the individuals renting from them rather than having all individuals just pay it themselves.
>>
>>267840

tbqhwym (to be quite honest with you mate) it's not socially acceptable to be a stalinist, and especially not a maoist after that guy who foced girls to live in his basement for 30 years
>>
Bobby Sands
>>
>>264575
Just wait. We'll understand it after we see what Presidents Obama and Clinton do to West Virginia and Tennessee coal.
>>
>>267823
>>267840
More like 30k victims, but it's still somewhat smalltime compared to what was going on in Argentina and Venezuela. And he even stepped down voluntarily after the plebiscite. He's the unsung Antonio Salazar of South America.
>>
>>267882

Nothing was really going on in Venezuela at the time. It was just a generic oil rich country
>>
>>267787
This is one of the big underestimated flaws of expanding college education actually, the people with degrees think they're too good for any manual labor and so they vote for whoever fabricates sinecures for them, which in practice means bloating either government bureaucracy or (via regulations) corporate middle management. Then they make big money doing nothing as parasites without being seen as parasites, despite costing more than poor fucks on the dole.
>>
>>263852
To be fair, there's only so much more than sustenance level that a medieval (or early modern in this case) peasant could produce.
>>
>>263882
>highest bracket taxed more than lowest bracket by widest proportions around 1917-1923
>roaring twenties
>dips extremely low
depression about to hit
>>
>>265485
Can confirm, Upstater. Fuck the city, as much as I love the revenue they throw into the SUNY system and public schools, they need different laws and regulator practices for their urban life and culture
>tfw when at least doing pretty well for rust belt
>>
>>262116
Destroyed the north of the country, stagnated British culture and centralized power into central London financial elite, huge infrastructure deficit with an infrastructure clusterfuck that still has tied the hands of British Infrastructure development to this day along with massive shitty privatization that has literally in every regard worsened services and impacted the economy.

Oh boy, "saved the economy" by literally ruining the lives of millions of people, destroying entire areas of the country and moving the entire country towards financial service industry (credit debt) so amazing.

Literally lazy economic reform with a bandaid double edged sword solution.
>>
>>267787
>Muh anti-intellectualism

Why are you on a humanities board /pol/fag?
>>
>>267787
>planners
To be fair a good city planner is invaluable.
>>
>>265665
>Reddit is left wing

This meme again.
>>
>>267840
"Socially" most people have no idea who Pinochet is.
>>
>>268150
>you can't be interested in history and disagree with my prog trash
>conservatives can't be invested in the past
Were you born this retarded or did you have to work at it? Lead? Mercury? Foucault?
>>
File: thatched roof.jpg (52 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
thatched roof.jpg
52 KB, 650x488
>>263436
M I L K S N A T C H E R
I
L
K

S
N
A
T
C
H
E
R
>>
>>262116
thanks for asking op because i was wondering the same thing
>>
>>263423
>Corbyn
>>263981
>Corbyn
Holy shit, these guys are serious. Like, they seriously believe Corbyn would be a great leader.
The guy who praises Khameini for being anti America
The guy who believes in the political ideology that killed millions of people of hunger
As a Brazilian fag, I do hope ISIS takes your country before Corbyn. It would be a better death.
>>
File: shig.gif (1 MB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
shig.gif
1 MB, 264x264
>>267787
>Implying all intellectuals are marxist-feminist literary critics and public sector consultants because they're good boogeymen for your "muh gubment" ramblings
>Ignoring the fact that scientists and engineers are fundamental to our modern standard of living
>Neglecting that philosophers invented the human rights we have today
>Implying urban planners aren't essential for sanitation, transport systems and infrastructure to not be giant clusterfucks
>Implying the only measure of "big government" is public spending, and all intellectuals are in favor of it
>Implying anti-intellectuals aren't retards who are butthurt because academics don't accept creationism, homeopathy, Austrian economics or whatever other "common sense" bullshit you get when plebs think their folksy wisdom makes them experts
>>
>>262357
>the Cold War ended
>muh gommie bogeyman
>Reagan and Thatcher ended Soviet, it was totally not internal issues, mainöy Gorbafuck
>>
File: 1427750341189.jpg (372 KB, 807x524) Image search: [Google]
1427750341189.jpg
372 KB, 807x524
>>268391
this guy gets it
>>
File: 1439218644137.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
1439218644137.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>268391
>>
>>267882
>He's the unsung Antonio Salazar of South America.

?
What about him?
>>
File: 14350698636.gif (2 MB, 275x248) Image search: [Google]
14350698636.gif
2 MB, 275x248
>>268391
>>
>>268306
No problem
>>
>>262116
What was needed in the north was a phasing out of industry.and mining.

What we got was actual devastation.

Plus the whole.forever capitalist shit - fine short term but, well the UK is now fucked and the only relevant area is now London which is rapidly taking over entire South while at same time not actually being affordable
>>
>>265665
Have another (You)
>>
>>267872
A better analogy is what happens if us scraps corn subsidies

>entire rural economy collapses
>>
>>265633

>now let me just return to my own echo chamber...
>>
>>266682
>>266928
>not recognizing the sarcasm

Conservatives confirmed for double digit IQs
>>
>>263953

>industrial jobs
>low wage

You know that minimum wage didn't exist then and that working class jobs were usually fairly well paid right? Why do you think people hate the fact that the economy shifted towards the service sector so much?
>>
>>262780

>accent and dialect reflect intelligence

shiggy diggy
>>
can someone tell me about milk?
>>
>>267823
I don't really understand why, since the people he killled were the same goddamn communist putzes every other South American nation got wrecked by. And Salvador Allende was decidedly a tyrant himself.

Plus, ya know, that hat was sexy.
>>
File: America.png (80 KB, 293x416) Image search: [Google]
America.png
80 KB, 293x416
>>268391
>>
>>273503
Well, he could have not been a nigger and restored power to Congress instead of taking it for himself.

Not a lot of people have the force of will and self discipline to be a Cincinnatus, which is a shame, because Chile needed one.
>>
>>273503
Allende was democratically elected. Pinochet was not.
>>
>>262116
Basically muh coalmines, muh working class.

She was a tough cunt who did what needed to be done to save Britain's economy. She was ruthless, and didn't negotiate on Britain's well-being.

And this is coming from an Irish person- we're supposed to hate her because of muh hunger strikers- in her position, I wouldn't have negotiated either
>>
File: pepe is happy.jpg (7 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
pepe is happy.jpg
7 KB, 249x243
>>268391
>>
File: 1433840435871.jpg (34 KB, 461x439) Image search: [Google]
1433840435871.jpg
34 KB, 461x439
>>265665
>>265633
No one is stopping you from leaving.
>>
She was a god tier right wing PM, and was based enough to respect our god tier left wing PM Ol' Attlee.
>>
>>262171
>implying Yorkshire isn't the God's own country
>>
>>266935
>Tight as a drum!

The Irish diaspora in America wouldn't stand for it, and Thatcher would have caved to the Americans even faster than she caved to the Chinese.
>>
>>267796
>It seems like her reforms were a bitter medicine that saved Britain from decadence.

She gave us Tony Blair and the Great Recession.
>>
>>274825

That must be why all those muslims are there taking over everything
>>
>>262780
Scousers
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.