[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real value in Stirner's work? Or is he just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: 1421732592680.jpg (10 KB, 200x237) Image search: [Google]
1421732592680.jpg
10 KB, 200x237
Is there any real value in Stirner's work? Or is he just a meme philosopher?
>>
How isn't it of value?
>>
>>259135
You do know he didn't write too much so you could probably just go read his works and find out for yourself

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/category/author/max-stirner
>>
He wasn't very valueable. I don't really know anyoen who has argued that property and society at large AREN'T social constructs ("spooks"), so it is just stating the obvious. I guess he didn't comprehend the social contract though.

His philosophy was 'valuable' in the sense that it exposes the flaws of morality and the is-ought gap - In other words, someone can just reject the social contract and do whatever he wants, and there is nothing you can do to convince him otherwise.

That said he reminded me of that one teenager who shot up a school here and then took his life, he left a suicide letter where he had similar egotist-anarchist ideas.
>>
>>259135
spook detected
>>
spook thread
>>
>Stirner's philosophy
>Not my philosophy
>>
Value is a spook
>>
>>261449
I do not think you have read the ego and his own, friend. That this or that is a spook or fixed idea doesn't matter, it isn't a statement about reality, he is talking about what we do with those ideas and how it alters our potential.

Anyway this is a good video https://vimeo.com/45351090
>>
File: 1436496529650.jpg (142 KB, 508x663) Image search: [Google]
1436496529650.jpg
142 KB, 508x663
>>259135
>applying arbitrary notions of "value" to philosophy and thought
pleb as shit senpai

and real fuckin spooky
>>
>>259135
>Values
>Work
>Memes
>Philosophers

Spooks.
>>
File: spooks.jpg (105 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
spooks.jpg
105 KB, 803x688
>>
>>259135
What do you think was meant by the term creative nothing? Is it used in the sense that it is the only word that can capture the individual nature of the ego?
>>
>>261449
He provides a pretty dam good critique on the religious nature of liberals and atheists
>>
>>259135
Plenty if you're not a faggot, worthless if you are.
>>
>>259135
The only reason anybody remembers his is that picture
>>
The fuck is a spook?
>>
>>262213
>... most commonly accepted social institutions – including the notion of State, property as a right, natural rights in general, and the very notion of society – were mere illusions,"spooks" or ghosts in the mind.[
>>
File: 1AzRCcO.jpg (31 KB, 480x400) Image search: [Google]
1AzRCcO.jpg
31 KB, 480x400
>>262213
A spook is something that doesn't literally exist but has a profound controlling effect on you if do believe in it.
>>
>>262213
Things that you're scared have power but really don't
>>
File: robertnozick.jpg (30 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
robertnozick.jpg
30 KB, 300x400
>>261449
>I guess he didn't comprehend the social contract though.
>>
Yeah, I'd say so. His philosophy is honestly one of the most internally consistent ones I've read, and he's a fairly decent writer all around. I think his work makes a good intellectual bedrock from which to figure out what you value and why you value it, rather than valuing something simply because you should or because you want to live up to some external ideal.
>>
I think people are mostly obsessed with him because his edgy philosophy can't be proven wrong and he has those ebin drawings people can post instead of real pictures
>>
>>263517
Don't forget he caused Karl Marx to sperg out.
>>
>>261449
>I don't really know anyoen who has argued that property and society at large AREN'T social constructs
So you've never heard of jusnaturalisme?
>>
>>263517
>can't be proven wrong
this is some spook worthy of a normie
>>
>>262153
He provides a pretty good critique of everyone.
>>
Value is a spook.
>>
He BTFO'd Marx, that was his greatest achievement
>>
>>263517
>irrefutable edgy philosophy
>the simple drawings of him
>the word "spook" itself
perfect alchemy for a meme
>>
I find myself agreeing with his philosophy a lot and i work hard on making myself stronger(in all sense of the word) because i know that's the only thing that matters when it comes to achieving my goals
>>
>>264043
>become the strongest in the world
>get shot in the face by a scrawny faggot

Strength doesn't matter in this world, which is why the nietzschean idea of power is ultimately superior
>>
>>264043
So you took the Nietzschean lesson. Nice.
>>
>>264043
Are you intelligent, witty with a wicked sense of humor on a regular basis by any chance?
>>
>>264172
He said "in all senses of the word".
>>
>>262147

Yes. He believed that words fail to describe the einzige, and that only peotic language can shed light on it. 170 years on, I think its best described as a "creative singularity". Everything beyond me is created by me, even myself. The world around me, from my perspective and in a strange way factually, flows forward from a point, the "I". My brain, my vision, my thoughts, my body, the people around me, it is all perpetuated by this "event horizon" of the self. This raises further questions, such as if the self is really the creative nothing, can I experience another life after I die? Past experience says yes, I know I gained agency at least once (my present life), so it is rational to think it can happen again. In this sense, the einzige is truly something intangable yet persistant.
>>
>>264172

When Stirner said "strength" or "power", he meant an indivuals overall agency to act. Violence is only one way of obtaining power, from Striner's point of view Spook-crafting was the greatest way.
>>
>>262218
>>262229
I'm pretty sure the state would take me on and win even if I somehow thought they didn't exist
>>
>>262229
So basically just "muh social constructs"?
>>
>>267496

Moron detected
>>
This thread is now my property. Every post in this thread belongs to me.
>>
>>267514
Taken to its conclusion with none held sacred. Whereas most people that are big on pointing out that certain things are nothing more than social constructs while at the same time selectively holding other social constructs dear, Stirner applies it evenly across the board.
>>
>>267676
Only if you have the capability to claim it.
>>
>>267496
The enforcement is real. The state isn't.
>>
>>267942
Nice spook.
>>
>>267514
Justice, right, wrong, private property, duty, honor, "problematic", gender, family, society...yeah.

In Stirner's philosophy, everyone is just driven by my self-interest, doing what gives them pleasure. But he doesn't define it as "rational", and sees "rational self interest" as liberal poppycock.
>>
Stirner's actual philosophy is what people often misinterpret Ayn Rand's philosophy to be.

Which is why his is more solid.
>>
>>268065
Stirnir seems pretty chill. It sounds like isn't 'against' anything, he just wants us to understand the illusions and their power so we can stop being superstitious.
>>
>>268079
I wouldn't say that. Stirner explains in Stirner's Critics that he's not opposed to love, altruism, or really any idea at all, so long as they're not held as sacred, fixed ideas.
>>
File: austrian school of economics.jpg (44 KB, 450x340) Image search: [Google]
austrian school of economics.jpg
44 KB, 450x340
>>268130
>>268132
So Stirner's philosophy is pic related?
>>
>>268155
Needs a Stirner edit. Something like "Yeah, well, that's just like, your spooks, man."
>>
File: 1441904858065.png (52 KB, 700x419) Image search: [Google]
1441904858065.png
52 KB, 700x419
>>
>>267514
>>268155
>>268130

>reducing philosophy to memes
>thinking people on 4chan can actually make you understand a philosophers entire body of work

read.a.book.
>>
>>264484
I'm a friendly and optimistic person
But the world we live in is anything but friendly or fair, so i'll use whatever means i have to reach my goals
>>
If you think Stirner's philosophy is meritless, then read Ernst Jünger.

You can't read Jünger without Stirner.
>>
Are memes spooks?

Is spook a meme?

Is the idea of "spooks" in itself a "spook"?
>>
File: 1446435889857.png (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446435889857.png
27 KB, 500x500
>>273450
Yes
>>
>>271135
So I can read a philosopher's own memes?
>>
>>259135
Life deniers have no value ever.
>>
File: 1440907921865.png (273 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1440907921865.png
273 KB, 450x450
>>273463
>"value"
>>
>>273463
Explain.
>>
>>261449
>social contract
You mean an intangible document nobody would sign yey somehow contractually binds every unfortunate soul ever born?
>>
>>274365
Literally everyone would sign it.
>>
>>274406
>everyone would sign it

Only under penalty of failure or refusal to sign.

"SOCIAL CONTRACT—A nonexistent legal document that no one in society has ever signed yet which binds everyone under threat of force."
Jim Goad
>>
>>274585
>Only under penalty of failure or refusal to sign.

Right, we all want to actually live as anarchists in the jungle collecting fruits and hunting game.

>>274604
Spooks are quite literally synonymous with memes.
>>
>>274629
The point is that the only keeping society in order is the power systems with things like court and police. The social contract is a spook.
>>
>>274701
You're a spook.
>>
>>275033
Fuck off, I'm a creative nothing.
>>
""spooks" are spooks" are spooks
>>
>>271135
>a.book
Which book.
>>
>>275183
http://dflund.se/~triad/stirner/theego/theego.pdf
>>
>>275148
spooks are spooks are spooks are spooks
>>
>>275550
How cute.
>>
>>259135
If you agree with Stirner, or believe his ideas to be true or whatever, then it doesn't matter. If power is all that matters, and whoever manages to gain it over others, regardless of how he does it is in the right, then that doesn't change anything. The people who are already in power are obviously more adept controlling people than you are.

You might think that your outlook on acts of terrorism, rebellion and crime might change, but Stirner aöso says that a man can dedicate himself to a goal hiher than himself. So what then? Then I might as well dedicate my life to the ideals of order, or liberty, or equality, or whatever else you might imagine, and my outlook on all those things would still remain the same.

Yeah, he had the right idea. There's no such thing as objetive morals -- but that doesn't matter. There's still ideas and ideals, and people can, and do, dedicate themeselves to them. Sure, if your goals derive from anything else than yourself, then you probably might, probably should, rethink them. Probably should get rid of them entirely, because they're probably retarded as all hell. But still, Stirner should have been the one to have to tell you that, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>279708
That's real fucking spooky
>>
>>279708
>I haven't read Stirner, the post
>>
>>263877
are you kidding? Marx destroyed Stirner, took him 500 pages but jesus it was brutal
>>
>>281046
what was marxs main argument or killing blow to Stirner
>>
Someone explain this "Spook" meme to me
>>
>>281365
Read the Ego and His Own.

Stirnir posting is a high-brow, intellectual, type of memery. We will not have our elite force of Volintary Egoists dumbed down by pleb. I bet you are an involuntary egoist!
>>
>>281365
http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-ego-and-his-own#toc11

Read this paragraph
>>
>>273044
Holy shit, this. Stirner is a piano-maker, and Junger is Beethoven. Junger was able to take Stirnerian ethics and turn them into a way of life that actually means something: a real philosophy for living.
>>
>>274406
Nice assumption, faggot. Some people literally would not, that's why you have hermits and preppers.
>>
>>279708
Yeah, this >>280408

Seriously. Stirner simply says that might makes reality, he doesn't pass moral judgement or claim that any result is the way things ought to be.
>>
>ctrl+f "spook"
>33 results
>>
>>285859
ya dun spooked
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.