[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Vlad the Impaler.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 39214114151231.png (44 KB, 862x702) Image search: [Google]
39214114151231.png
44 KB, 862x702
Tell me about Vlad the Impaler.
>>
>>25833
He got fucked by his cousin Mathew. Lead to him being imprisoned by the turkish. Had rough pollicies and it is considered one of the bloodiest in the history of the romanian people. His cousin Steven the Great was actually the bloodshedding tard...but he covered that up by building monasteries and shit.... Had nothing toddo with dracula, never led Transilvania...he was assigned to rule the ,,Romanian country,, as it was called back then when Romania was divided in 3: Moldova, Transilvania, The romanian country
>>
>>25833
Fought for the independence of the romanian people. Tried to end the hungarian opression, kept the southern border where it was...made safe trading routes....was based af like all the romanian leaders back then.
>>
I read on another thread here that he was present at the siege of Constantinople under a pseudonym
>>
>>25833
Owned a cool moustache
Sticked hugeass sticks up turkis asses for the keks, butn the turkish camps in Targoviste and showed them how stupid they are when they began to fight one eachother in the dark like mongolshiteaters
>>
File: 1292962612496.jpg (252 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1292962612496.jpg
252 KB, 1280x960
I heard he impaled a lot of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AaH3Uvgd0

Y'all ready for schlock history?
>>
>>26825
Cant's vouche for that. i wasn;t there...
>>
>>26875
He wasn't really evil. He was righteous with a hint of evil..but towards the wrongdoers. Stefan the great was the real asshole. Had 12 wives dozens of illegitimate kids, built monasteries every time he won a fight ...real assole. Also while Vlad was trying to rise to the throne he pretended he doesn;t know about it...Later when The Impala got imprisoned by the turks it took him 2 years to start doing sth about it..just cause he was a asshole. Moldavians loved steven..still do
>>
>>25833
There's a cool Romanian movie about him. Vlad Tepes.

He was a pretty cool guy, he actually cared about all of his people rather than himself and his own, despite his reputation I actually consider him ahead of his time. The responsibility he felt towards his subjects was remarkable and his punishment of impalement was actually fair in that he made all equal in death well before the French with their guillotines. Nobles, enemy soldiers and peasants all went out the same way under Tepes, a very progressive idea.
>>
>>26947
Check Michael the Brave. He had some military strategies that the french later used... He invented the whole idea of artillery
>>
>>25833
What nationaity are you op?
>>
>>26979
Fuck yeah Michael. I remember watching that old movie with him in cinemas with mum when I was a kid and we both teared up when he died.
>>
>>27061
Damn man. You must be old. Romanian?
>>
>>27082
Yeah. Not old at all, they were just screening old Romanian movies.
>>
>>27128
oh...cool
>>
>>25833
pretty cool guy, he invented shish kebabs.
>>
>>26926
>>26811
your posts reek of butthurt
>>
>>26979
cheers anon, going to check this out.
>>
>>26926
I'll say that he was slightly batshit insane with all that impaling corpses theough the butt as a passtime.
>>
buci
>>
>>27213
ain't at all. just trying to make a point in a ,,friendly manner,,. Personally idgaf. It's just trivia and it's in the past.
>>
>>27335
You're looking at it from a modern view though.
Vlad had the massive weight of the ottoman empire bearing down on Wallachia, he new he couldn't face them on the field so he had to make them leave through other ways, impaling is undeniably cruel, but the night attack and resulting impalings, for example was an ingenious way of defeating the ottomans without shedding rivers of Wallachian blood.

Fantastic leader.
>>
>>27380
yaeh no, you're obviously trying to shoehorn stefan in this discussion and make him look bad by comparison (which isn't true btw)
>>
>>26811
Well his title was Dracula, as he was the son of Dracul. He had nothing to do with Bram Stokers Dracula though.
>>
>>27552
Son of the dragon, Bram just took inspiration from the name.
>>
Some fucker with a whip keeps breaking into his house and killing him
>>
>>27432
I heard a quote that's relevant to this but I don't know where it's from.
>"A wise leader rules with a closed heart and an open mind."
>>
steamrolled the turks through pshychological warfare, died betrayed by his semi-romanian hungarian matthew who lived a lavish life and needed more money from the pope so he made vlad look like an ally to the turks and had him imprisoned.
>>
>>27673
Yeah that's really relevant, no one can deny that vlad was cruel. But this cruelty was to the benefit of his people.
>>
File: 219ub07.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
219ub07.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
Post best Vlad
>>
They say he could leave an open cart of gold in the public square, and nobody, NOBODY would even lay a finger on it because they were so afraid of him.

Not all of the poles were sharp. Sometimes they were blunt, so he oiled in the top of it and then forced someone to sit on it and watched them slowly slide down it.

There's Evil, and then there's Vlad.
>>
>>27432
I don't doubt his ability. I'm just saying it takes a special kind of person to dine in a forest of impaled corpses and nail messenger's turbans to their heads for implied rude behaviour.
>>
>>27786
>>27823
Uh, we might never actually know the level of his cruelty. The german merchants spread those rumors of the supposed high cruelty that Vlad displayed in order to ruin his image in the West.

Nevertheless, we need a Vlad today ASAP.
>>
>>27823
Agreed, but for a man that relied on fear and reputation to combat one of his largest enemies, it's understandable, in my opinion.
>>
File: ;_;.gif (4 KB, 32x21) Image search: [Google]
;_;.gif
4 KB, 32x21
>>27884
>we need a Vlad today ASAP
Definitely.
>>
>>27823
Didn't he nail their hats to their heads specifically so he could pretend he never heard the message that the Sultan sent him?
>>
>>27887
Well yeah, psychological warfare is effective and Vlad was good at it.
>>
>>27951
Probably. The more known version just makes for a better story.
>>
>>27884
Can't be rumors, it's quite obvious that his contemporaries feared him more than anyone who has ruled Romania before or since. The Sultan was a ruthless tyrant who terrified his own people and even he was scared out of his wits.
>>
>>27996
It just goes to show that in order to keep society in line you need to be ruthless but fair.

Remember what Machiavelli said "The noble goal justifies the means"
>>
>>27996
Cruel with his enemies, yes. But exaggeratedly cruel with his own people for no reason? Come on. Also, Saxon merchants had a reason to blow up the things he did.
>>
>>28053
Machiavelli was also a Romaboo, so I disregard his opinon in modern society that has eclipsed Roman culture by far.
>>
>>26824
>like all the romanian leaders back then.
lmao
>>
>>26811

>Steven the Great

>Steven

Are you retarded?
>>
>>27823
Remember that this took place a long time ago, it wasn't uncommon to do what we'd refer to as cruel stuff on the battlefield. The Ottomans impaled people as well.
>>
>>28903
Yeah, but Vlad still impaled a lot of people by those standards. He went out of his way to do so in great numbers. Coming to those forests of the impaled must have been terrible with the stench of the dead being everywhere, insects crawling all over the place and birds scavenging.

It was a great idea though. It scared the shit out of the Turks.
>>
>>26824
>>26811
>this is what they teach in romanian schools
romanian history forging is good as ever I see
>>
>>29115
That's not uncommon for countries that the Soviet Union messed with.
>>
>>29115
Haven't read anything history related in years, enlighten me.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.