[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some examples of colors having an important role in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 2886988853_08a406ce1c_b.jpg (307 KB, 1024x803) Image search: [Google]
2886988853_08a406ce1c_b.jpg
307 KB, 1024x803
What are some examples of colors having an important role in a culture?

Blue among the Tuareg and in Judaism
Green in Islam
Red in China
>>
>>430010
Purple is the Royal Color in Ancient Greco-Roman and classical world. Due to the fuck-expense of acquiring a specific type of purple: Tyrian Purple. Purple became associated with Nobility/Royalty in Yurop.

In China and large bits of East Asia, Yellow is the Royal Color. This is due to Ancient China and is based on two things
1) Color of Gold
2) The Yellow muddy color of the Huanghe river: the valleys that run through it being the homeland of the Chinese race, in which their legendary first Emperors -most likely tribal leaders- claimed power over the yellow silty water through irrigation and damming.

In either case, Yellow became the Imperial Color of the Chinese. Chinese influence then sent this notion across East Asia.
>>
Inca
Gold =solar significance, called "sweat of the sun"
Silver = lunar significance, called "tears of the moon"

Aztecs
Jade = represents fertile earth
Turquoise = represents water/sky
The emperors' speech in illustrations would be shown as a blue scroll emanating from the mouth, symbolizing his divine authority.
>>
>>430057
That's interesting, thank you

I read an article about ultramarine blue. During Renaissance it was considered the color of the vest of Mary, related to humility and holiness. The pigment was made by grinding lapis lazuli extracted from caves in Afghanistan and browght to Europe by Italian merchants. It was extremely expensive and it was a true object of desire for every artist. Michelangelo didn't use any ultramarine on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel since he was the one paying his matherials, but when he painted the giudizio universale he used a lot of it for the sky, for the pope himself was financing him.

In 1826 the pigment was first obtained chemically and nowadays you can buy a buck of it for a few dollars. But one should remember that ultramarine blue, once considered the essence of the colour blue itself, was used with extreme care by artists in the past.
>>
>>430033
Didn't the phoenicians basically monopolize the purple color un those times? I think it was gathered from some acquatic snail, and you needed a shiload of them to get the desired taint.
>>
>>430106
By the Roman period, it was pretty much known by many. But the process was still expensive.
>>
>>430121
Yeah, that's true. I was talking at the very beginning, since you know, then phoenicians got rekt.
>>
>>430033
what is 紫荆城(purple thorn city or Forbidden City)?
>>
>>430010
IIRC, the cardinal directions are assigned a colour in Turkic culture. Red is west, Blue is east and black and white are north and south, not sure which is which though.

The gokturks, oghuz, ak koyunlu and qara koyunlu were named after this system.

Long time since i read this so I don't remember the specifics.
>>
>>430168
Purple stood for the cardinal direction of the North Star as per Chinese astrological tradition. Not the Emperor.

The palace is supposedly aligned to it.
>>
>>430010
The USA: Red, White, and Blue
>>
>>430182
Whasnt this an iranic thing? Scythians used to do this just like persians
>>
In Japan, White and Black are cultural colors
>>
>>431109
Slavs too. See "White Russians"
>>
File: ultramarine.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ultramarine.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>430103
> But one should remember that ultramarine blue, once considered the essence of the colour blue itself, was used with extreme care by artists in the past.

We wuz a respected colour n shieet
>>
>>430010

there are literaly so many examples it would take a whole board to count them
>>
Saffron, in Hinduism
>>
>>430010
>What are some examples of colors having an important role in a culture?
Orange in the Netherlands, because muh Princes of Orange-Nassau.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.