[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Polygamy isn't accepted in majority of world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: Legality_of_polygamy.png (66 KB, 640x281) Image search: [Google]
Legality_of_polygamy.png
66 KB, 640x281
Why Polygamy isn't accepted in majority of world?
>>
Insecurity
>>
>>>/int/
>>
>>422000

Because throughout the bulk of human history, you had more men than women in most societies, death in childbirth was ubiquitous and very, very frequent.

You did get some counterbalance in the form of things like war and working accidents, which tended to hit men more than women, but most societies don't have enough of that to compensate for the fact that almost every woman would get pregnant several times during her life.

So if you already have more men than women, concentrating mating rights towards a sub-set of men just isn't that reproductively efficient and it's going to generate a shit ton of social unrest as more and more men can't get laid.

Hence, uncommon.
>>
Causes more problems than its worth.
>>
Monogamy is actually a BIG part of civilisation. Divorce is too polite a term, it is collapse.
>>
File: 1447013463655.jpg (601 KB, 1100x818) Image search: [Google]
1447013463655.jpg
601 KB, 1100x818
>>422000
- Monogamous marriage is more efficient in terms of raising the overall population. Ex. five monogamous pairs with 10 children versus one polygamous man with five wives having 5 children.

Pic not really related, I just like it.
- Less expensive to maintain. The husband, for most of history, was the primary bread winner and providing for several wives is very hard.

- Inheritance. Being absolutely sure of a child's mother makes inheritance easier, and it makes political alliances easier.

- Mistresses. For men that were not monogamous, it was cheaper and easier to have one or more lovers than to support multiple wives.

- Religious tradition. Abrahamic faiths (barring some forms of Islam and Old Judaism) tend to promote monogamous marriages.

Pretty much until recently very rich men were able to keep multiple wives in just about every society outside of Europe. Legally recognized monogamous marriages are a Western concept that have been increasingly adopted in non-Western countries due to it's advantages over polygamy.
>>
Humans are born very close to 1-1 rates.
Women naturally flock to the richer males.
Allowing the top 10% of men to marry 4 women each means that the bottom 30% of men remain unmarried.
Single men are less motivated to work hard or stay away from crime, since they have nobody to look after
>>
File: Victoria-Secret-Angel-Models.jpg (234 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Victoria-Secret-Angel-Models.jpg
234 KB, 1920x1200
>>422120
This makes perfect reason for Polygamy.
Women wanting to marry successful man and leave unsuccessful mans behind.
>>
>>422000
>Why Polygamy isn't accepted in majority of world?
Bourgeois property transmission (Engels, Family Private Property and the State).
>>
>>422000
Because polygamy is almost always polygynous, which leads to a large number of unmarried men, most of whom are lower-class. That leads to a poor, angry underclass.

Polyandry is much rarer, and usually arises in dangerous environments as multiple brothers providing for one wife.
>>
>>422148
Not really as historically the elites were not necessarily succesful due to their own merits, so the motivation of working hard to get wifes is just not there.

In fact, giving an easy wife (and therefore a family) to everyone is more pragmatical since the man now has a real immediate motivation to work hard and prosper: to maintain the family.
>>
>>422000
For this >>422024 mainly.

It should also be noted that polygamy isn't often the norm in the societies where it exists. It's often just for the elites, if not just for the king. Historically it often works like institutionalized concubinage.
>>
Your cannon fodder is less likely to run and abandon the village/city/kingdom to invaders when they've got a wife and children.
Caring to protect 3-4 people from rape and death puts a lot more responsibility and roots down than 1 person.
>>
Monogamy is youman nature :-D
>>
Having over 2 people in a relationship makes it shit tier, and allowing it to happens results in people doing it.

Source: fetlife
>>
File: 1450300423062.png (66 KB, 640x281) Image search: [Google]
1450300423062.png
66 KB, 640x281
>>422020
now it's >>>/int/
>>
>>422024

This.

Want to know the easiest way to get men angry and potentially violent? Take away their ability to get laid, because not everyone uses prostitutes.
>>
>>422000
Christianity.
>>
>>422000
Polygamy results in things being great for a few, powerful men, and things being shit for women and the rest of the men.
>>
>>422000
>japan
>not black

I though Nips have a thing for Harem or Polygamy ?
>>
>>422959
These days, Japan doesn't even do sex at all.
>>
Pair bonding between dedicated parents + 1-3 children surviving to adulthood = success, which breeds jealousy
>>
>>422618
If you live in a society where prostitution (most likely open sexual culture as well) + Polygamy are allowed and you still can't get laid then the problem is on you since either you are so poor you can't afford a prostitute as well as get a woman in marriage since poverty is the greatest anti-aphrodisiac or you are such an awful being to be around that not even a fortune could convince a hooker to fuck you.
>>
File: The Egg Man.jpg (654 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
The Egg Man.jpg
654 KB, 1080x1920
>>423350

Or, you know, you're just ugly. Pic related has been turned down by hookers.
>>
>>422024
Actually no. Women outnumbered men almost everywhere (and still do today). Yes, women often died in childbirth, but that was it. Meanwhile men would get killed by war, hard labour, and crime, plus they just naturally tend to die about 10 years earlier than women.
>>
>>423437
I think I found the kid with downs that keeps shit posting everywhere.
>>
>>423350
The existence of prostitution has nothing to do with open sexual culture. In fact, prostitution existing and prostitution being accepted and allowed are two completely different things. It can even happen that prostitution is a social taboo while being perfectly legal.

Not all persons are willing to hire a hooker, even in situations that would suppose no problem for you and me.
>>
>>422000
That map is about legality, not acceptance. Historically lots of places allowed polygamy and it was widely accepted.
Hell, it only became illegal in some places like Thailand within the last decade.
>>
>>422019

This, Jealousy, and Greed.

Monogamy is totally fine as long as it isn't seen as the default of human behavior like we've been brought up to believe.
>>
Some days I wish it were legal but only for progressive hipster people and not for those who would use it as a means to "own" more partners.

I wouldn't mind having a couple more wives, and my wife wouldn't mind having a couple more either.
>>
File: 3DPD.png (509 KB, 847x468) Image search: [Google]
3DPD.png
509 KB, 847x468
>>422959
thing in 2D realm differ with things in 3D realm.
>>
>>422120

This is a problem we run in to with our cushy lives because a child is actually 51% likely to be male and if most children live to adulthood then you have way more males than females.

Well hell, that's simple to fix. You have a few options at your disposal if you want to resolve that issue.

Have war. Kill as many of those harem hording bastards as you can. We have to mimic the natural predators that we've eliminated over the millennia to keep the population of males down. That is or at least was our job by the way, I hate to say it, to maintain a field of safety around our villages in order for the next generation to be brought about. This is part of the reason that we have genetic disposition to create male offspring.

Selectively chose female offspring over male offspring. Doesn't necessarily have to be through abortion, could be done through in-vitro fertilization

Or you could just start a monogamy cult and enforce it with death.

Which option sounds like the best tradeoff?
>>
>>423357
Yeah, but, nature wouldn't provide so much ugly men as natural selection would kick in and make desirable looking mates more common place. He's just a random incident, and honestly, there's a limit to how much a book cannot be judged by a cover. He should kill himself.
>>
>>425062
Rape and murder being bad are default human behaviors that are taught as well.
>>
>>425109

Yep, but those are destructive behaviors that even the most basic human societies shun, unless directed towards an outgroup. Having multiple sexual partners is not destructive and cannot be placed in the same league as murder.
>>
File: cQ7wlgB.jpg (254 KB, 1221x1570) Image search: [Google]
cQ7wlgB.jpg
254 KB, 1221x1570
>>425128
>Having multiple sexual partners is not destructive

Riiiiiight.
>>
>>425132
>>>/r9k/
>>
File: 1384281271693.jpg (22 KB, 274x306) Image search: [Google]
1384281271693.jpg
22 KB, 274x306
>>425192
>statistics are only valid when they confirm my own world view!
>>
>>422000
I really tried not hating niggs and muslims, but every time it gets worse.
>>
>>422587
kek
>>
File: 1448510932641.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1448510932641.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>422000

Polygamy literally means that a woman has to accept that her husband will be fucking another woman while at the same time the woman is duty bound to stay away from other men.

How many women do you think could be successful talked into accepting such a set-up?
>>
>>425903
Your post seems to imply that a woman's opinion on the matter is relevant in any way. You don't "talk her into it". You force her.
>>
>>425907

In most places and times, the parents would be the one's whose opinions matter, and they wouldn't be happy about it either UNLESS you were wealthy enough that you'd be able to contribute to multiple families at once.
>>
>>425132

A lot of the correlations don't necessarily mean that extramarital relationships cause unhappiness. It's just as likely that unhappy/depressed people are more likely to seek extramarital relationships.

It's similar to how there's a correlation between marriage and longer lifespan, but much of that is chalked up to the fact that healthier people are statistically more likely to get married.
>>
>>425907
ayyy
>>
>>425903
>How many women do you think could be successful talked into accepting such a set-up?

Quite a number of them, depending on the ratio of men to women. If, hypothetically, there are five women to every man, then it makes perfect sense to share the mayor instead of getting the street-sweeper as my very own husband.
>>
File: 1441085266653.jpg (30 KB, 362x282) Image search: [Google]
1441085266653.jpg
30 KB, 362x282
>>425944

I'm sure his current wife will be completely fine with that.
>>
>>425955
Thee could be reasons to want a second wife.

You're tired of being bounced on by a fat, hairy old dude and will let the vapid cunt do that while you sit back and enjoy prime wife-hood in luxury with your eldest son firmly in line to inherit everything.

You've moved past being a trophy wife, and are wanting to be seen less as a sex thing, and more as a partner to your husband's dealings. Having a second wife for those attentions can help.
>>
>>425974

If your husband wants to fuck younger woman on the side, then that's what he's gonna do. He's not gonna accept that younger woman as his wife unless he's also gonna divorce you for her the same time.
>>
>>422000
Monogamy offers greater advantages so it was promoted instead.
>>
>>425989
>he's also gonna divorce you for her the same time.

There could be political, economic, and personal reasons the man doesn't want to lose his previous wives. Say they are from noble bloodlines which tie them and him together. Now he wants to tie a third bloodline to himself, so he takes a third wife, but he wants to keep the relationship good with the first two.

Or say a conquering military leader has just annexed a huge region, and he wants to be free to travel and fight, so he takes a wife in each region, and makes her ruling Queen Regent. Get her with child, and she is bonded to him in a way that can't really be broken politically.

Or imagine divorce is completely out of the question. Do you think Henry VIII would have killed his previous wives if he could have just married another one and kept the first ones around? Well, maybe, but the queens I bet would have favored multiple wives over death.
>>
>>426042

>There could be political, economic, and personal reasons the man doesn't want to lose his previous wives.

There certainly could be such reasons. It just isn't very common, and thus isn't commonly accepted. Note that all your reasons are ONLY relevant to people with a lot of money.
>>
>>426123
Agreed, it only comes about when there are relatively few men who have most of the control.
>>
File: 1400941092058.jpg (400 KB, 3268x553) Image search: [Google]
1400941092058.jpg
400 KB, 3268x553
>>425903
we have soft polygamy in the contemporary sexual marketplace. 20 of males receive 80 of females. Just as nature intended.
>>
File: 339716_full.jpg (75 KB, 670x1000) Image search: [Google]
339716_full.jpg
75 KB, 670x1000
>>422000
>Why Polygamy isn't accepted in majority of world?

Fuck you, I can't get laid as it is!
>>
>>422000
Because mennism/patriarchal style of doing life is weak nowadays. Only some religious people still hold several skirt tight only with big help of stupid religions, but anyway thanks to him. We hear, feminism was made men of a USA and Europe alimony serfs of the skirts.
>>
File: 1440244665342.jpg (44 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1440244665342.jpg
44 KB, 480x480
>>422000
because women prefer to have several lovers-providers
>>
STDs, inability to determine paternity of children, heavy focus on idea of a stable contained family unit, etc.
>>
Monogamous marriages weaken women and force the family unit.
>>
>>428541
What strength do wpmen have that aren't subject to male consensus?
>>
>>422148
thank you hungry skeleton
>>
Has polyandry ever been practiced by any culture? Hell, are there any social animals that practice it? Just wondering from idle curiosity, since i cant think of any reasons it would be beneficial.
>>
>>429079
There are places in India and that general area of Asia that do.

They're all shitholes
>>
>>428541
Monogamy greatly strengthens women.
>>
>>429433
Not really. Polygamy drastically raises the demand fot women, which means that even the ugliest, single moms will get beta orbiters trying to please their every whim in exchange of some pussy.

If it wasnt because Sharia is otherwise pretty misoginistic, muslim women might enjoy more rights than westerners
>>
>>425200
cuck
>>
>>425924
Thanks for having a brain and experience understanding statistics.

You a gud guy.
>>
>>429079
>>429429
I believe in all those cultures the brother-husbands have to actually be biological brothers. So if you are not raising your own kid, you are raising your brother's kid, so you are still helping your genes spread.

Lions do something similar were two males will fuck the same female, and they will both help raise the kid. They will only do this however, if they are both old fucks, and cant protect a pride on their own. So instead of having a chance of successfully reproducing that is close to zero, they each get a 50% chance.
>>
It will cause more jealousy. Like hey thats not fair you have 1340 wives, I only have 2. Or you have 1343 husbands and I only have 4. Damnit, there's a natural cap on how many people there is on earth.
>>
>>422120
>>422148
The problem is that nowadays one can be successful, yet have shit genes.

If rich fat dudes get all the ass, then we'll end up with a population that likely won't be able to survive a life that isn't full of gluttony and wealth.
>>
>>425903
That is polygeny, retard.
>>
>>422516

Yet my polyamorous marriage is more stable than any of the traditional monogamous marriages in my family have been...
>>
>>423437
Barbera Hainswalt, Growing up in Medieval London contains quite a bit of European demography from Roman times onward. You should look it up; women were outnumbered by men for pretty much everywhere until modern medicine. Almost every woman gives birth. Meanwhile, relatively few men join the army, some of those never fight, and of the ones that do, a small minority will die in combat. The birthing bed is way deadlier.
>>
>>429452
Yes, I'm sure it's just coincidence that even the Muslim countries that abolished polygamy saw women's rights increase drastically.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.