[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Napoleon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 730x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 730x599
Hey /his/ how exactly had Napoleon especially on the geopolitical sense changed Europe and the modern world
>>
>>424459
Not here to do your homework, lad, m8, senpai, cunt
>>
>>424461
Lmao the school I went to didn't cover this and I'm pretty interested in it that's why I asked
>>
>>424459
france was in ruins when he rose to power so it was just a matter of time until a civil war breaked out and needless to say it would probably rage for years without ever reaching any kind of consensus among all the parts, throwing france to a even worse place and possible making them just another fail state

this was avoided when this guy rose to power; not only he was finally able to bring peace and cohesion to its people (mending the wounds caused by reign of terror, accepting freedom of religion once again and being more laid back in terms of general governance once he had complete power)

needless to say that without him the very young idea of an european state without monarchs would have died before having any kind of weight... even if he later on crowned himself emperor (whether by self ambition or in order to try to appease the european royal houses while trying to show he "was one of them")
>>
>>424643
and to end since 1000 character limit:
he was the one taking france from the mess it was in and making it relevant in the world stage (for the last time probably - if you're willing to look away france's importance on wwi)

and even if under his rulership ever single aspect of europe was improved (from technology to social policies and everything in between from art to philosophy) and florished, he destroyed everything he had over petty treasons.

instead of consolidating what he already had, he decided to avenge the treason of what he considered a friend - who gave his word he no longer would be trading with the british and proceeded to do it anyway but in more discreet manners leading to the ultimate defeat of the grande armée when it was in its peak.

and even though they won pretty much every single major battle in russia, they lost many men during ambushes, desertion, disease and specially due to the weather.
>>
>>424663
and to end:
his original ideas still prevailed even if he was defeated in the end since pandora's box had been opened and once people living under republicanism and the enlightenment ideals they refused to go back to what was considered an archaic feudal system that no longer made sense after an industrial revolution.

also, many of french allies/"pet-states" retained their independecy and are today full-fledged nations not to mention many other nations that were indirectly affected by those ideas and saw that they could be put in practice
>>
>>424459
If this is for a homework assignment, there are two main geopolitical effects that Napoleon had on Europe that have modern ramifications.

One is that he broke the Holy Roman Empire. This is a bit more visible thing that he did, which caused Prussia to assert its dominance over the German nations and unify them after the Franco-Prussian War.

The other thing Napoleon caused, which is likely the answer they want if this is a homework question, is the establishment of the Concert of Europe. He did not make the Concert of Europe, it was more of a reaction to the immediate geopolitical effect of what he did and the fear of post-Napoleonic France. The other powers in Europe, after emerging from the Wars of the (1st-7th) Coalitions held the Congress of Vienna, in which they tried to put Europe back together. By engaging in this enterprise, they began the international philosophy that is now in use in the United Nations, that the power of nations should be balanced to promote peace. Mark Mazower wrote an interesting book detailing the history of internationalism, called "Governing the World."
>>
Literally nationalism.
>>
>Used to be really mental
>Was obsessed with Napoleon Bonaparte when was 14
>Would always get Napoleonic clothing and did shit like learning the Fife as an instrument
>Always hid clothing from mom and dad
>Had probably 1,500 dollars worth of Napoleonic clothing.
>Learned French
>Would pretend to be Napoleon and pretend I was at war when family was not home. Would scream really loud and had a fetish for naked woman in oil paintings. (Still do)
>Started to become even more awkward
>Started to begin to dress very awkwardly as well. I would always wear stockings in secrete in my jeans.
>Had over 20 fic stories of me being a general and/or officer under Napoleon with the name of "Leopold"
>Mother finds out What I have been doing for 2 years.
>Get sent to psychiatrist. Get meds for being fucking crazy. Had to be under surveillance to make sure I did not relapse.
>Almost relapsed twice. I am not even allowed to listen to classical music because it is said it will trigger me to be Napoleonic again.
>Still cannot stop dreaming of being at war commanding a line of Infantry under me when I sleep at night.
I am still pretty fucking mental but I have been improving a little. If I do not take meds its almost as if I snap right away and go back to thinking I am an officer from 1812 fighting for Napoleon.

dont know why I shared this
>>
Well he sold French territories in America to the US, he invaded Egypt with a horde of anthropologists (muh orientalism!), he ended the HRE formally, he humiliated the Germans and initiated pan-nationalism there in the wake of his occupation and a tonne of other shit. Also tried to reintroduce slavery in Haiti.

By the way, your pic is endlessly aggravating.
I fucking hate Britain and its servile squealing press.
>>
>>424705
>The Holy Roman Empire
>Relevant

COME ON PEOPLE, IT'S 1805!
>>
>>424850
Do you play Mount and Blade?
>>
>>424850
Great read.
>>
File: egypt.jpg (81 KB, 1256x982) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
81 KB, 1256x982
I always wondered why he invaded Egypt. In a documentary i saw it gave the reasoning that he was so mad for prestige and power and wanted to recreate the glory of Alexander The Great's conquests. That sounds kinda weird though.
I see no strategical value in having Egypt for France. They already had mediterranean access and their navy couldn't keep Egypt away from a British invasion (Battle of the Nile). Was he just an Alexanderboo or did he have some grander strategical idea?
>>
>>424884
Once a strange Moroccan fellow told me that Napoleon declared before a crowd of Egyptians, Je suis un musulman! to win favor with them. I have no idea if that's true, but it's funny.
>>
>>424902
He might have. Napoléon didn't care too much about religion.
>>
>>424905
Yeah, apparently the Egyptians didn't buy it.
>>
>>424850
Friedrich, please go. And stay go.
>>
>>424850
Just when you think you've heard it all, you read something like this. Great read.
>>
>>424884
Because South is fertile and full space for colonies and breeding.
>>
File: vLc7hcca-_o.jpg (53 KB, 604x432) Image search: [Google]
vLc7hcca-_o.jpg
53 KB, 604x432
>>424905
Guess, god also didn't care too much about religion. Only priests care because it is his source of profit.
>>
>>424917
So Nappy was just stupid? How could he expect to keep hold of an area miles away from home wich were hard to defend with a militant populace?
>>
File: 1445969515290.jpg (78 KB, 1398x597) Image search: [Google]
1445969515290.jpg
78 KB, 1398x597
>>424850
>I like dressing up like a huge transexual fag
>I like walking slowly in a line while getting shot at with guns
>I like powdered wigs

Is there ANYTHING more pathetic than a gunpowder and musket era enthusiast?

Take a look at some REAL men, pic related.
>>
>>424850
The general way of dealing with this is either getting a meaningful job or throwing your life away on gaming like the rest of us. Here's how you can join us.

1. acquire mount and blade warband
http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/

2. acquire and play floris till you've been raped enough
http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3489/?

3. Play le aigles and napoleanic wars
http://www.moddb.com/mods/laigle

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48705

4. Join the 8ch/his/ steam group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hissteam

fun fact: 8ch /his/ predated and is superior to this board
>>
File: Roman reenactors (72).jpg (704 KB, 1822x2526) Image search: [Google]
Roman reenactors (72).jpg
704 KB, 1822x2526
>>425638
Haha, no
>LARP as Roman.
>Roman armor, tunic sleeves, and trousers stop at the upper arm/thigh.
>Pasty white limbs, pasty white limbs everywhere.
>>
>>425756
Ironically a lot of the people larping as romans should be on the side of the Germanics and goths.
>>
>>425638
>muh roma
>muh 5 gorrillon heavy infantry stabbing each other.
>>425756
>not LARPing as a Batavian guard.
>>
>>425638
As opposed to walking slowly in a square getting shot at by horse archers?
>>
>>424850
That's actually pretty fucking glorious. Reminds me of my Commie phase. I got over that phase only recently to be honest.

Don't let go of your Napoleonic obsession. Napoleon is a great man and that obsession makes you interesting. You sound like a fun person to LARP with.
>>
He's the reason the world is divided into nation-states usually with constitutions, civil law, and democratic principles, rather than feudal states defined by divine right or custom.

He's also the reason for a bunch of other random shit like everyone using the metric system, driving on the right side of the road, or Egyptology being a thing.
>>
File: contrast.jpg (75 KB, 552x400) Image search: [Google]
contrast.jpg
75 KB, 552x400
>>424459
>without Napoleon no one would have risen to power in France

I find this hard to believe. Napoleon was a great unifier to be sure but his ascension was predicted decades earlier by Burke. Power vacuums practically cry out for despots. Could not some other dictator have risen to power in his place? One one more brutal and less charismatic but also one less obsessed with plunging Europe into wars of conquest?
>>
File: 200[1].jpg (23 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200[1].jpg
23 KB, 200x200
>>424850
>instead of trying drugs, booze, shoplifting and doing all that stupid shit teens do a kid idolizes a figure followed by millions even after his death
>learns about history, music, art and even learns to play music
>actually uses his imagination and creativity

>gets labeled as a loony and goes into recovery to be a "normal person" once again

i'm so happy to live in this society i can't stop crying
>>
>>425884
>obsessed with plunging Europe into wars of conquest

Stop that shitty meme.
>>
>>425638
>weak, malnourished peasants and foreign mongrels without free time to hone their fighting skills
Vs
>strong Napoleonic soldiers who had camaraderie and lived off of the land while developing the combat art of Greco Roman wrestling
>>
>>425782
>walking toward arrows being shot at you
Test of courage.

>walking while guns shoot at you
Test of stupidity.
>>
>>424884
Pretty sure the ultimate plan was to use Egypt to attack the British in India from the Red Sea
Also I think there were people in France at the time who were just happy to have Napoleon anywhere but France
>>
>>424850
You copied this from the OP of another thread.
>>
>>424884
British goods from India passed through Egypt.

Taking Egypt would block those goods from going to Britain.
>>
>>424850
Your mother was a fucking bitch for sending you to psychiatrist, that's a pretty productive obsession since you actually learned French from it, not to mention you gained a huge amount of historical knowledge about Napoleon

I'm a bit of a Habsburgboo and have a thing for anything Austria-related, i'm learning German right now and maybe will start a collection of Austrian stuff in the future, like clothing, uniforms, books, weapons and stuff
>>
>>424850
>follow ur drems :^)
>>
>>424663
>he was the one taking france from the mess it was in and making it relevant in the world stage (for the last time probably - if you're willing to look away france's importance on wwi)

He made France the most powerful country of the world
If you just look at "relevant on the world stage", it was still the case for France both before and after him.
But France being "the MOST relevant country on Earth" was only under him indeed.
>>
>>424884
He wanted to disturb British trade
But yeah, his obsession for Alexander also played
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.