[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news -history-archaeology/rom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: brutus.jpg (4 KB, 183x276) Image search: [Google]
brutus.jpg
4 KB, 183x276
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/roman-sword-discovered-oak-island-radically-suggests-ancient-mariners-020663

So it looks like the Romans made it to Canada. We now have conclusive proof of an old fringe theory.
>>
>>424984
roman ships had troubles sailing around the Mediterranean let alone the Atlantic, why would a well documented civilization like rome not keep any record of such an expedition?
what incentive would they have had to sail westward into infinity?
>>
>>424991
>why would a well documented civilization like rome not keep any record of such an expedition?
Isn't it widely agreed that the sources we have from Roman times, although numerous, are just a drop in the bucket. Most lost to the times?

>what incentive would they have had to sail westward into infinity?
Maybe the expedition was carried to America in a series of unfortunate/unforeseen events. Like a storm bringing the vessel way of course or some other happenstance. And if this was the case it is self explanatory that no record of any expedition would exist, since it would just be regarded as a another ship lost at sea.
>>
These guys seem like they could be hoaxers, but if the Boston Standard is running with it at least we know it's not blogosphere clickbait garbage.
>>
File: Roman-sword.jpg (28 KB, 610x430) Image search: [Google]
Roman-sword.jpg
28 KB, 610x430
>We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Roman
It doesn't look roman to me, tbqh.
>Pulitzer told the Boston Standard that the sword was hauled onto a fishing boat decades ago, but was kept secret because the finder and his son feared they would be punished due to strict laws in Nova Scotia regarding retrieving treasures from shipwrecks.
Yeah, sure.
>>
>>425025
The thing about that though, is that I doubt they would have the food to make it that far, as a ship blown off course that much would probably only be provisioned for a trip from Britain to Gaul or Hispania. Even if we were to discover an obvious shipwreck, it is only proof that the oceans have currents.
>>
>>425067
>It doesn't look roman to me, tbqh
Seconded, it looks far more Celtic to me, rather than Roman. Fairly certain it's another hoax.
>>
>>425067
Yeah, that is pretty obviously copper or bronzwe tbqh; iron wouldn't have lasted that long in that condition. And wtf is that hilt about?

Looks like an obvious hoax.
>>
>>425074
Good point. I'm not arguing that the roman's definitely made it all to the Americas. Just trying to think of some reasons.
>I doubt they would have the food to make it that far
What if it was a trade ship filled to the brim with olives and fish sauce? Huh?
>>
>>425080
the romans got their sword designs from the celts, senpai
>>
>>425125
Interesting, but still doesn't make it any less of a hoax, lad.
>>
>>424991
The Irish do from around the 5th century, they might have brought the sword with them.

>>425067
That can't be Roman, no Iron sword would survive in water, only bronze lasts. Iron age is empty of relics because Iron oxides so easily.
>>
>>424984
Probably an odd decorative viking sword.
>>
>>424984
>ancient_origins(.)net
yes this seems like a reliable unbiased source which would duly report only the most thoroughly peer reviewed claims of evidence of revolutionary discoveries related to ancient history
>>
>>425027
It's not like they're the first to discover a Roman connection on the island.
>>
Maybe Celts carrying Roman swords came over? Celts had tall Oak ships with leather sails.
>>
>>425280
Which ones?
>>
>>425307
The Irish had the ability to reach North America.
>>
>>425125
you mean iberians senpai
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.