[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>expect to be punished for all eternity in hell for a crime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
>expect to be punished for all eternity in hell for a crime commited in a finite lifetime
>literally saying 2+2=9000000000000000
>Billions of Christians and Muslims actually believe this
>>
File: nothanks.jpg (162 KB, 1484x1164) Image search: [Google]
nothanks.jpg
162 KB, 1484x1164
>>420745
Seems to be mostly a problem of 3rd world nations and the US. See it positive, religion is dying in developed countries. In a couple decades it will be a mere memory.
>>
>>420745
Well god is infinitly cruel so what do you expect?
>>
>>420745
If you actually look at what these religions teach, both of them have basically infinite options for redemption. Especially Islam has like a billion things you can do which, according to the texts, guarantees you paradise. One of which is merely wishing for your brother that which you wish for yourself.

So, for the same token as yours:
>expect to be praised for all eternity in Paradise for a good deed commited in a finite lifetime
>relatively speaking 5 seconds of being good, compared to eternity of reward
>>
File: 1449604920526.png (539 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449604920526.png
539 KB, 1920x1080
>>420758
In a couple decades... religion... will be but a mere memory...
>>
>>420809
>In a couple decades... religion... will be but a mere memory...
Just extrapolating current trend lines. Most European countries already have a secular majority, most other developed countries will follow. In the end, theres only religion left in the 3rd world.
>>
>>420758
It's dying in white countries where people like OP treat religion as an encyclopedia and not a grander identity
>>
>>420861
>It's dying in white countries where people like OP treat religion as an encyclopedia and not a grander identity
So it is dying pretty much everywhere where it actually matters. And the best thing is, the trend is accelerating.
>>
>>420809

You should have greentexted your post and posted a less cool fedora pic, I often post that when saying how puny people's concept of god is. Without reading the comment that replied to you I assumed you were the one saying religion will be gone soon.
>>
>>420945
The more developed, the less religious. This statistic must be really frustrating for believers. See the plus side, you can always move to a 3rd world hellhole, and enjoy a religious majority there.
>>
The whole ETERNAL HELLFIRE thing isn't in the Bible just so you know, dumb frog poster.
The Bible refers to hell as a crucible, where souls are destroyed. "Hell" is simply non-existence according to the Bible.
Not sure how Islam addresses it.
>>
>>420977
For example
Thessalosians 1:9
>They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power
There's more if you want to look it up.
>>
>>420992

>destruction
>>
humanities was a mistake
>>
>>420977
>>420992
What is the human development index of your country of residence? Does it have a secular or a religious majority?
>>
>>420992
>destruction

Do you know what this word means?
>>
>>420999
sunday school caricatures aren't hell itself

a soul shut out from the source of all life, joy, peace, etc. cannot subsist on itself. if there's no god for him//her, then there is only the deadness of matter and its blind, mechanical drives. eventually it will disintegrate and return to matter as well. birds of a feather and all that, even in the afterlife
>>
Oh trust me, religion is not dying in the Deep South.
>>
File: religionsingapore.jpg (44 KB, 469x479) Image search: [Google]
religionsingapore.jpg
44 KB, 469x479
>>420945
>>420968
Your correlations will mean nothing until the rest of the world begins to close the economic gap.

For example, Singapore or Hong Kong which have the best non-western HDIs don't show any dramatic changes.
>>
>>421018
>Oh trust me, religion is not dying in the Deep South.
I agree, but it is dying pretty much anywhere else where the HDI is in the top quintil.
>>
>He'd rather be gods lapdog for eternity than chill with satan in magma hot tubs for eternity
>He doesn't know you lose free will in heaven
>He doesn't want to dive into the depths of hell and experience true suffering so you can have true enlightenment.
>>
File: xNr5brA.png (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
xNr5brA.png
40 KB, 800x600
>>421021
>For example, Singapore or Hong Kong which have the best non-western HDIs don't show any dramatic changes.
now for some place that actually matters
>>
>>421028
Oh I agree. It's almost getting worse down here because people are getting angry and defensive about it
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 465x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 465x276
>>421032
>not believing that you will become one with the Beloved after death
Lmao @ your life
>>
One girl actually left the classroom in tears when my teacher brought up evolution
>>
>>421055
The real correlation is that whites are degenerates who still think their way is universal
>>
>>421055
>Why? The correlation don't have to be perfect to still be valid.
Especially when Hong Kong is the worlds #4 most irreligious country, according to Gallup 2014. They scored 74% irreligious.
>>
>>420999
>>421009
I don't see your point.
It matches up with my statement.
Eternal destruction
Eternal non-existence
Psalm 9:17
>The wicked return to the grave, all the nations that forget God.
>Return to the grave
>Return to non-existence
Hell, according to the Bible, is eternal non-existence and separation from God and all that he created.
I'm not even remotely religious by the way.
>>
>>420745
Because it's not punishment.
Hell is having cut yourself from God, and since all joys come from God it is miserable. God doesn't condemn you to it, but simply acknowledges your choice.

And as for "why doesn't he change things after a while", there is actually no time passing, heaven and hell are outside of time.
>>
>>421095
Could you please state your country of residence?
>>
>>421105
FR, why?
>>
>>421105
>please state ur country so i can attack it rather than address your points like this is fucking /int/
Suck a dick.
>>
You sin against an infinite entity, you get infinite time.

At least that's what the priest told me in 2nd grade.
>>
>>421110
Thank you. I'm just trying to bring the statistics in this thread in relation with the demographics of /his/.
>>
>>420745
Actually Muslim hell is only temporary you only go as long as it takes for you to atone and only if your sins weigh you down enough that you are forced through the bridge if razors on your way to paradise, for Allah is merciful and kind but also fair and just. Each good deed is counted as 10, each bad deed is only counted as one each bad deed you consider but don't do is counted as one good deed.
>>
>>421132
>Each good deed is counted as 10, each bad deed is only counted as one each bad deed you consider but don't do is counted as one good deed.
That is pretty fair for an Abrahamic religion. Not quite as good as the Pastafarians deal on the Beer Volcano in heaven.
>>
>>421068

If you don't exist because you have been destroyed it doesn't matter if you are cut off from god or not.

It certainly doesn't count as eternal torment.
>>
>>421177
Not existing=Being cut off from God
Being cut off from God=Eternal Torment
>>
>>420745
>eternity
>literally saying 2+2=9000000000000000
Eternity isn't a lot of time, it's the outside of time continuum. God being eternal means Him existing outside of time, not being really really old.
>>
>>421186

So were you in perpetual torment before you were born?
>>
>>420776
>does not understand what the word "infinite" means
>>
Buddhist hells are pretty fucking metal

You go to some place where you get threaded through with hot wires or forced to wander naked in the worst blizzard imaginable but only until you work off your bad karma, and then you're free (which ends up working up to like billions and trillions of years)
>>
>>421686
Why tho
>>
File: 81QsrgRNOuL._SL1500_.jpg (207 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
81QsrgRNOuL._SL1500_.jpg
207 KB, 1500x1000
Can christfags at least agree that a finite sin is not worth an infinite punishment?

Or that a finite good deed cannot be reason enough to deserve infinite reward (e.g. I gave money to the poor, therefore heaven. Or I died on a cross, therefore heaven)
>>
>>420745
>not being able to interpret religious text
>calling yourself an intelligent life form
Heaven and hell are merely state of mind.
>>
>>420758
Is religion that big in America? How come they aren't like their European counterparts
>>
>>422228
does it really matter? Christianity is more about being respectful, kind, charitable, etc. anyway. nothing wrong with that, who cares what it gets you.
>>
>>422228
Not even christian but the idea is that you're judged by your actions. The sin doesn't get you to hell, it proves you're evil so you go to the place for evil people.
>>
>>422554
>it proves you're evil so you go to the place for evil people.

Then the most Christian thing you could ever do is accept that sin should be punished and REJECT forgiveness, as it gets in the way of God's justice.

Every Christian here should agree with God and go to hell
>>
>>422696
I don't understand how do you come to that conclusion. It's explicit in christianism that the average man should not judge others, you can forgive because that's supposed contribute to your own salvation and the salvation of the other. A forgiven evil man is supposed to be more prone to change and become good before the day of his judgement.
>>
>>421095
That's called ransom. If you decide to deny the demands of terrorists then the terrorists kill more innocent people. It's your decision.

How can events occur in heaven without time?
>>
>>422448
American here, it's primarily due to the bible belt. They're deeply rooted in tradition and not very tolerant of new ideas, despite that it's a very beautiful place with many kind people (as long as you stay away from the poverty).
Would never want to live there though.
>>
>>422718
You should not seek to avoid justice if you agree with God then hell is the justice you deserve
>>
>>420745
>>expecting to be punished for all eternity in hell for a crime commited in a finite lifetime
>says the frogposter
Sounds like you deserve it desu baka senpai.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.