[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How strong was a man avarge/soldier/knight or the pre historic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: yermans.jpg (319 KB, 805x1600) Image search: [Google]
yermans.jpg
319 KB, 805x1600
How strong was a man avarge/soldier/knight or the pre historic man compared to an avarge man/strongman today?

Could we do the physical work what they did and could thry go through a workout plan?
>>
>>416727
>>416727
>Average man in prehistory
Paleolithic diets give us a good idea what Prehistotic men looked like. They weren't exacty strong, but were built for running and had great endurance. Very little body fat.
>Average Soldier
Shorter, but in decent shape at the very least. They have more bodyfat on them thanks to agriculture providing food surplus' but still not as much as most men today.
>Knight
Shorter, but stronger than the average person, and well trained in swordplay.
>Compared to the modern day men/strongmen
Strongmen nowadays are stronger than they ever have been. They have a lot of bodyfat which compliments a lot of muscle that they need for powerlifting. Thank Creatine for breaking barriers.

>Could we do the physical work what they did and could thry go through a workout plan?
The average white collar worker? No. They would be poorly suited for field work.
The average blue collar worker? Maybe. It depends on their skill set
>Could they go through a workout plan
They would probably get sick if they tried protein powder or ate the kind of diet Strongmen do. But there's no reason to assume they couldn't do it.
>>
>>416782
Bump
>>
>>416727
Depends on social status. Footmen were weaker, since they lacked proper diet and rarely ate meat. Knights were stronger then regular people now, since they had to carry chainmail or even platemail, which weighted up to 15 kg.
Archers also had to be strong to use longbows.
>>
>>416782
>Knight
>Shorter
no. people being averagely shorter than today is purely a dietary issue. knights were wealthy men, not serfs that lived on watery porridge and moldy bread.
>>
>>416782

>Thank Creatine for breaking barriers.

Am I being memed?

Powerlifters are on a shit ton of roids senpai.
>>
>>419969
This meme...
You are the one memeing.
>>
>>419991
fit pls go and stay go
>>
>>420022
I not /fit/. I am just not a dumb ass h8tr.
>>
>>419969
not me ALL NATTY BABY!!!!!!
>>
>>416727
>Could we do the physical work what they did and could thry go through a workout plan?

Yes, people in the ancient and medieval world weren't superhuman.
>>
>>420032
As someone who's actually competed in strongman, a lot of the lads are roiding. I'm not being a hater, i have nothing against taking roids for strongman, I'm just stating the facts
>>
I know that they found a Knights skeleton in Scotland and he was described as having a very strong build similar to a modern rugby player heres the link.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/mobile/scotland/tayside_and_central/8687199.stm
>>
>>416727
Probably a bit stronger and more fit than your average white collar worker. Bit skinnier too.

You could ask your grandparents to show them some photo's of them in their youth.
>>
>>419612
>Footmen were weaker

Blanket statement with ill defined words. nobles fought on foot in many cultures.

>since they lacked proper diet and rarely ate meat.

Got a source on that? Roman soldiers had rations in the 3000-5000 calorie range IIRC.

>Knights were stronger then regular people now, since they had to carry chainmail or even platemail, which weighted up to 15 kg.

No
Mail*
Plate*
25-30 kgs*

>Archers also had to be strong to use longbows.

True but a lot of it is technique and the modern archers who shoot similar weight bows don't look anything like an athlete.
>>
>>416782
biggest bullshit I ever read

>>416727
>how strong was a prehistoric man compared to todays strongmen

Bone structure of prehistoric people shown curvature due to muscle tension, implying by scientists that the muscle force was so strong that it bent the bones and made them adapt to the muscle tension. This is something no strongmen today could ever achieve.

The Cro-Magnons living 30 thousand years ago also displayed remarkable physical characteristics. Their average height was around 1m80 (6foot) and their brains were actually bigger than the brains of Modern Humans! So the Cro-Magnons were actually the same average size or bigger than most of the current population. The decrease in the average height can be attributed to the advent of agriculture and the sedentary lifestyle and later the rise of an urban lifestyle. The only direct descendants of Cro-Magnons are the I (I2a according to the Cro-Magnon sample of the Bichon Cave in Switzerland) Haplogroup carriers in Europe.
>>
Depends. Athletes and combat infantry are generally stronger and healthier than ever before due to advances in medicine, exercise, and diet. The average person is probably not as healthy, but that's more dependent on lifestyle than before.
>>
>>416727
>How strong was a man avarge/soldier/knight or the pre historic man compared to an avarge man/strongman today?

That all depends on how you define a "man".

If you're talking about the countless numbers of urbanite barrista tier faggots we have running around today, then no, the old timers could kick their asses and run them into the dirt like the bitches they are.

IF, however, you're actually talking about REAL men that work with their bodies, like laborers, or actually maintain some kind of fighting shape via exercise, then that's different. In shape dudes today are stronger than the in shape dudes back in the day due to the greater availability of proteins today.

Regardless, any decent military force requires training, and that includes the militaries of the past. Foot troops need to develop the physical and mental hardness that it takes to do forced marches in full kit, and the only way to do that, is to do forced marches in full kit. So whether you're talking about medieval peasants, or modern day urbanites, it's going to take training to make them worth a fuck.
>>
>>422191
>Urban people didn't exist before 2000
>>
>>422201
They were just as faggoty and out of shape back then as they are today, anon.
>>
>>422215
thats what i'm sayin
>>
>>420328
Ok powerlifting or strong man. They are different. You should know that if you conpete.
Your credibility is taking a hit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.