[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the French emigrate in large numbers to Quebec
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: france_races.jpg (257 KB, 760x931) Image search: [Google]
france_races.jpg
257 KB, 760x931
Why didn't the French emigrate in large numbers to Quebec or other European colonies like the Brits, Germans, Spanish, Portuguese, Irish, Poles, Scandis?
>>
bumpan
>>
>>24241
they did, additionally many Huguenots went to british colonies instead of new france
>>
There are plenty of French descendants in Quebec?
>>
>>24718
Uhh no

>8.215 million in 2014

+ a bunch of immigrants

French North Americans are descended from inbred parts of France

>>24716
A lot compared to say Macedonians but their numbers are small compared to the groups I mentioned
>>
Have you been to the French Riviera? The climate is amazing and it actually used to be nice before the Mafia and Africans and Arabs fugged it up.

I wouldn't have sailed across the atlantic from 15°C winters and 35°C summers with zero clouds or rain just to get to snow and cold lol.
>>
>>24241
France had one of the largest population in Europe. Great for fighting Napoleonic Wars and the levee en masse.
>>
>>24755
*Greeks not Macedonians
Oops.

But the point is that relative to other European countries, France didn't send a lot of immigrants to foreign countries
>>
Freedum was better in the British colonies.
>>
>>24241
Because the country is rich and developed
>>
>>25034
Was it always like this?
Didn't France lag Britain/ Netherlands?
I'm assuming there were more Dutch/ British emigrants than French emigrants
>>
File: 1421793908843.jpg (3 MB, 3800x2491) Image search: [Google]
1421793908843.jpg
3 MB, 3800x2491
>>24241
French people have almost never immigrated to their colonies, this is one of the reason why colonisation often failed.
The reason is simple, they had everything they need in France. An incredibly beautiful country with all the type of landscapes and climate you want, fertile lands, mountains, oceans,forests etc etc...there was just no reason for them to leave France to go somewhere uglier and less welcoming.
>>
>>25200
It's also a cultural thing i guess. When you're not satisfy with the situation of your country here, the first thing you think of is to riot, not to leave the country.
>>
>>25336
I find it hard to believe the landscapes led people to not emigrate, since most of them would never see much outside of their nearby homes. Besides, the Nordics, and the Italians also have this but did emigrate
>>
>>25200
Because people didn't go out to create settler colonies. They want to get rich and return to the metropole. That changes much later.
>>
>>24241
Unlike in Britain there weren't many oppressed religious minorities that needed a place to go. I think that explains much of the Polish and Irish situation, that and the potato famine. I've read a bit about the Spanish and Portuguese governments offering incentives for people to move to their colonies which France didn't do I guess? Anybody know more about that?
>>
>>25519
>Unlike in Britain there weren't many oppressed religious minorities that needed a place to go
very wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Wars_of_Religion

thing was they were just so fucking pissed off at the king that they went to English colonies instead, its why there's a city in new york called New Rochelle.
>>
>>25405
>Besides, the Nordics, and the Italians also have this but did emigrate
>Nordics
Nordics were poor and lived in relatively un fertile regions. Look at the size of Scandinavia relative to their population, most of it is not habitable/can't support a large population. They were emigrating since the viking times.

As for the Italians, it was mostly from the poor undeveloped southern regions, not the rich north.
>>
>>25405
Italians immigrated because Italy was a disunified violent place during the unification wars. You risked getting shot for just going outside at certain points. Many also did it for idelogical reasons similar to the Germans who left after 1848
>>
>>24241
Ethno-centrism, very strong and deeply-rooted patriotism, a reasonably big land aera with a lot of cultural/geographical diversity. It hasn't really changed today, French people consider Francer as a world in the world.

If you live in Paris and your bored of your life and want something different, your first ideas would be to go in south of France, Britanny, Nromandy or Alsace, not to go to another country.

Andyes, probably a bit of cultural arrogance. France has always been among the most powerful and influents countries in the world, and i guess French people are used to think that if things are bad in France, it means that they are bad anywhere else too and that they won't find something better by just leaving the country. So instead they make revolutions...
>>
>>25583
I know about the Huegenots but there never that many of them compared to all the various sects that the C of E was cosntantly breaking into.
>>
Generally French religious minorities fucked off to other European countries or their colonies and the French never were able to conquer something as densely populated as the Aztecs or Inca in the Americas.
>>
>>25629
>Francer
was that on accident
>>
Norway was a shithole which has not industralized. Which meant shit agricultural production, and we reached a tipping point where we got close to reaching famine due overpopulation.
Bonus points for not a large amount of attempts to do farm harsher lands.
It would not surprise me at all if the same was true for Northern Sweden.

So basically France was not a shithole.
>>
>>24241
But there's a large French community in Argentina. It's the third largest ethnic group in the country. You don't notice them because they assimilated into the
general culture quite easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Argentine
>>
>>25200
The emigrants were Protestants (Calvinists called Hugenots), they emigrated in Europe, especially in the Calvinist Netherlands, but also in Protestant countries like Sweden, etc...

France didn't lag at this time behind Britain or Netherlands.
>>
>>28405
*Huguenots
>>
Even in the years leading up to the revolution, france's immigration lagged. The French would rather starve in their own France than leave to Canada or the Caribbean and probably make a decent living.
>>
>>24241
Because we didn't had a demographic boom, our population has been very stable since basically forever, unlike other countries which populations exploded.
>>
>>25683
>was that on accident
Yep it was
>>
File: bournemouthrainbn_450x300.jpg (136 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
bournemouthrainbn_450x300.jpg
136 KB, 450x300
Only the brit emigrated a lot to flee the shithole they lived in.
>>
File: 1415603385906.jpg (609 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1415603385906.jpg
609 KB, 2048x1536
>>24241
because france is nothing without arabians who are already displaced once. why would they move a second time ?
>>
Because France was always a pretty good place to live.

And when things go to shit, the French have a culture of staying and fighting/overthrowing rather than emigrating.
>>
My guess is that because their focus was on the fur trade, they didn't see a need to bring over families, just young men who could make their fortune and then go back to France.

It's interesting that the French-speaking population of Canada didn't take off until AFTER the British conquest, when birth rates shot through the roof (highest ever recorded anywhere ever AFAIK). The French were really really terrible at managing their North American colonies; they just didn't see the potential for large settler populations, and sought to make a quick buck off of what was there already.
>>
>>31563
...also the French did make an attempt with the "filles du roi" program to bring over some women, but it wasn't very many (although each one left a billion descendants)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.