[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the most fascinating theories I've heard about ancient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: Kheops-Pyramid.jpg (310 KB, 1581x971) Image search: [Google]
Kheops-Pyramid.jpg
310 KB, 1581x971
One of the most fascinating theories I've heard about ancient Egyptian civilization is that they got their knowledge from a civilization that's even older. The way the Great Pyramid of Giza was built, it's mathematical accuracy and construction, is likely way more advanced than what Egypt was capable of at the time. It's possible that there was another civilization, more advanced, and lost to time.
What does /his/ think? Is there some truth to it, or is is bullshit? Was Egypt really one of the first civilizations capable of undertaking such massive building projects?
Personally, I think it might be possible. The oldest structures in Europe are almost 10.000 years old, I think it's very possible that there was an advanced civilization before Egypt or even the Indus-valley civilization.
>>
People love to underestimate the wisdom and ingenuity of ancients.
>>
honestly no one really knows who constructed the pyramids. they were just copied and copied over again and again but with horrible results. people all want to lay claim that they are the progeny of the builders.
>>
>>24039
No i am pretty sure they built them. Their mathematics included the idea of a slope, kind of like y=kx. The slope of a pyramid is the same slope a pile of sand has, for example, the sand in an hourglass.
>>
>>24303
And the fact that we can see the progression of early pyramids which weren't as successful and sometimes collapsed unto itself.
>>
Humans seriously didn't have the technology to build the pyramids
>>
>>24475
Cutting stone and moving it really wasn't that huge of an advancement everybody could do that. They were especially good at it.

The exact way the pyramids were built is the question, a lot of theories and little evidence. The general idea is still there and irrefutable.
>>
it depends what you mean by advanced. humans have probably been at the same level of intelligence for a long time, but knowledge was only shared through oral tradition for most of that time. and 'advanced' civilzation before the egyptians was probably one with a long oral tradition that had some knowwledge of mathematics and construction, and there is ddefinitely evidence of that throughout africa and the middle east. however, the egyptians took it to a whole new level, and they were able to because they had a long period of relative stability and a large kingdom to extract resources from, including intellectual resources. they invented a writing system and kept libraries, one of the first people to do so. this would make advancement happen at a much quicker rate that other nearby civilizations that were mostly nomadic and/or tribal.
>>
File: 1433523244664s.jpg (8 KB, 250x217) Image search: [Google]
1433523244664s.jpg
8 KB, 250x217
I'm happy we have a /his/ now.
>>
>>24537

The kings chamber is lined with Granite one of the hardest materials known to exist in nature. You would need cooled diamond tipped saws to cut those things in such a precise manner yet it is said they only used copper tools at best.
>>
>>24640

Didn't really appreciate it until just now. Realized that if this thread were posted on another board which we won't name, it would be filled with racist spam and "ayy lmao" by now. Not trying to derail, just agreeing. Great board.
>>
File: bu511de992.jpg (211 KB, 1392x791) Image search: [Google]
bu511de992.jpg
211 KB, 1392x791
>>24039
> One of the most fascinating theories I've heard about ancient Egyptian civilization is that they got their knowledge from a civilization that's even older.

I read the book Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock, and I thought it was absolutely fascinating. It's about that, mostly about the Egyptiian pyramids, but also the Mexican and South American ones and other ancient structures and the civilizations that supposedly or might have built them.

I'm no expert in this stuff, so I don't know what errors or things like that might be in te book, but there is a huge pile of information about these things in the book, history about the explorers and archaeologists who discovered this stuff, and reasons for the resistance of the mainstream to update their information and theories.

Pic sort of related, it's a cool pic of what the Nazca lines look like when someone starts making a project of tracing them.
>>
This is actually true. A common misconception was that Egypt was one nation, one people, one era - Bullshit, they had three major empires that fell apart and revived with thousands of years inbetween.

So the "Egyptians" who built many of the pyramids did learn how to from an old, long-forgotten civilization... The other Egyptians.
>>
>>24640
Every day I said this would be a god idea. It's very clearly a good idea.

>>24715
I'd remove my bookmark to this other place but I never had one to begin with
>>
>>24422
And after Egypt's first collapse the Middle Kingdom couldn't even build a proper pyramid for awhile and had to learn all over.

I've read some SUPER ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS books before but take it all with a grain of salt.
>>
>>24664
maybe they had lasers???!????
>>
File: ln511dc046.jpg (240 KB, 1392x791) Image search: [Google]
ln511dc046.jpg
240 KB, 1392x791
>>24765
Here's another pic.

Yeah, Hancock says he figures the civilization that built it was from the end of the last ice age, that this civilization suffered from cataclysmic geologic events 12,000 years ago.
>>
>>24822

There was a flood that occurred. If you look at the sphinx base you can still see the water erosion.
>>
File: 1446228441862.jpg (118 KB, 497x640) Image search: [Google]
1446228441862.jpg
118 KB, 497x640
>>24039

Exceot intact physical remnants of their early attempts at pyramids still exist and have visible kekworthy fuckups for all to see until they got it right.

That doesn't mean you're entirely wrong though, the Sphinx is a whole other purring story, and judging by artifacts from Mesoamerica showing up in prehistoric African excavations, and Asian trinkets in ancient Middle Eastern sites, we do indeed give give our based forefathers far too little credit.
>>
The stones that made the Pyramid had to be transported 600 miles to Giza. Not even mentioning how difficult it'd be to actually arrange the stones to create the Pyramid shape. The pyramids are also in the exact center of the land mass of Earth. They also form a Pythagorum triangle as well. They also face the Magnetic north, but had no compass. I can understand why people think Aliens made them.
>>
File: 1440049865258.gif (879 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1440049865258.gif
879 KB, 500x400
>>24895
That could be. In the book, Hancock says he believes that that region at the time had rain and that it wasn't a desert.

I'm remembering more that I read in that book about the pyramids, like the fact that longitudinally and latitudinally it is at the point on earth where there is more land than any other(if I describe that so you know what I mean). Yeah it's super interesting and amazing.
>>
File: bent_nonflash.gif (14 KB, 481x250) Image search: [Google]
bent_nonflash.gif
14 KB, 481x250
>>24921
People like to forget that there were plenty of failed pyramids too.
>>
>>24664
Not really. Sand and stones do the trick really well. Its pretty basic stoneworking.
>>
>>25086
>>24904
But also, if we are to go by Graham's theory again, it says in the book that some like the big Cheops one was built thousands of years earlier than many of the other ones which actually were built by Pharaohs. Apparantly the newer ones are like 8,000 years newer, and much smaller cheaper imitations of the old ones.
>>
>>25176
>tfw Egyptian history is 3 times longer than Europe's entire history

We've been studying these people for 2 centuries and there's still more to be found
>>
Atlantis.
>>
Of course they got their knowledge from a civilization that's older, that's ALWAYS how it's worked and will continue to work in history.

The name of that civilization is Sumeria.
>>
>>27917
Kind of irrelevant. The Sumerians developed archs and ramps. They also only evolved their mathematical knowledge up to multiplication and division. Even if the egyptians got their knowledge from them, that doesn't explain the engineering and architectural prowess that they must have had to build the pyramids. Maybe the clay ramps helped, but that's at most.
>>
Related relevant thread

>>28154
>>
>>24422
>we can see the progression
This. I watched a documentary on this theory yesterday, but it acted like they never build step pyrammids and such before they build the Giza pyramids.
Even if they did have knowledge from a previous civilisation then all the proof probably burnt in the Great Library.
>>
>>24904
This, we have plenty of examples of failed shit pyramids the Egyptians tried to build before they finally got it right. One of the most famous is the Bent Pyramid, where halfway up they realized they'd fucked up the slope and had to switch to a shallower one.
>>
>>28679
That was a fuck up? I always thought that might have been on purpose. Makes the structure look more like a house from far away.

This board is great.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.