[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Americans get so fat /his/? When did it begin? Are there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: obese-swing-voter.jpg (60 KB, 858x462) Image search: [Google]
obese-swing-voter.jpg
60 KB, 858x462
How did Americans get so fat /his/? When did it begin?

Are there any other instances in history where a population became extremely fat?

The closest I can think of are the babies in the Netherlands born after the second world war, who were so deprived in the womb that the way their bodies treated food changed, and many grew up to be very obese.
>>
If you look at the obseity rates in England or any other successful country in Europe they arn't much better than America. Certain states in America are actually leaner than the average country in Europe.

So it's not an American thing it's a developed-country thing. The reason for it is because we have a very fucked up sense of nutrition. For instance we are told that bread, rice, pasta, and grains are what the majority of your calories should come from when that stuff is basically as bad for you as pure sugar. Than we told that butter, egg, greasy meat oil, and fats are bad for you when it should be core of your diet.
>>
>>410071
Fuck off Mr. Paleo
>>
>>410031
Drugs for fattening cows has vicarious effects in the people.
>>
>>410075
He's totally right you fucking mongoloid
>>
File: CDC_Overweight_and_Obesity_map3.gif (365 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
CDC_Overweight_and_Obesity_map3.gif
365 KB, 500x291
>>410031
>When did it begin?

The 70s is when it first started becoming a trend, I think.

I am almost certain it coincides with the rise of fast food. And, to a lesser extent, the rise of female working and the subsequent decline in a culture of home cooking.
>>
>>410083
People have been eating grain for millennia. I kind of doubt it's bad for you, let alone makes you fat.
>>
File: 20100925_WOC354[1].gif (51 KB, 595x690) Image search: [Google]
20100925_WOC354[1].gif
51 KB, 595x690
>>410071
> If you look at the obseity rates in England or any other successful country in Europe they arn't much better than America.

I'd say they are.
http://www.economist.com/node/17118939

However I still agree with your explanation that a fucked up view on what is good and bad for you.

Looking back on history books, Carl Linnaeus travelled trough Sweden to categorized how and what people ate, and he noticed how people up north was smaller than people down south, and saw how the northern people mainly ate meat and fat while the southern ones ate potatoes and bread. This can be read in his book "Travel to Scania".
>>
>tfw American
>tfw love fatties
>tfw born into a country full of fat women before attraction to fatties inevitably becomes the norm
And people say there's no God
>>
>>410113

Directly correlated to Burger
>>410077
>>
>>410071
It really is just the UK and mostly Scotland at that.. Swedes, French, Swiss etc are nowhere as fat as us.
>>
>>410111
Fatty detected
>>
>>410120
I'm the same except I'm into men.
>>
File: Blatte.jpg (27 KB, 333x367) Image search: [Google]
Blatte.jpg
27 KB, 333x367
>>410148
Liking overweight men is a sign that you have been touched by an older male, usually a father figure.
>>
>>410113
>http://www.economist.com/node/17118939
A whole 1/4th of your population being obese is a huge number, that's crises level. That's old data too, in the UK it's passed 34% and is rapidly approaching US levels. Canada, Australia, the UK, the U.S., they all have a similar crises in this regard, mostly because their traditional diets contain a lot of red meat and butter.

Answering OPs question, obesity took off in the 70's due to the advent of HFC's and the ease of consumption. There's many instances in British history where towns that produced more dairy had large percentages of the population who were obese. When people stopped being active in their older ages, this lead to a huge increase in obesity among baby boomers, who are by far the most obese portion of the population.
>>
>>410071
Britain is also a fattie-country but if you look at the rest of Europe it's nowhere near. Norway, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands etc aren't fat at all but countries like Mexico are.
>>
>>410031
>Netherlands born after the second world war, who were so deprived in the womb

the dutch hunger winter people are epigenetically (basically chemicals that tell your body which genes to use and which should stay inactive) inclined to becoming fat .

the typical 'fat american' chooses to be fat ,basically by eating shit food that destroys their thyroid \ other gland's ability to function making them fat .

the reason is widely available dirt cheap shit food in america combined with lack of awareness of healthy eating and the fact that once you get used to eating shit you sort of get addicted to it and desensitized to the taste of normal food , and you have to eat healthy for a very long time to get all the shit out of your system .
>>
Eat your couscous, Ahmed! There are starving fat children in Mississippi!

Americans have grocery stores where most of the shit is all corn and soy derivatives instead of any actual fresh vegetables. Major subsidies make frankenstein bloated economies of scale so high fructose corn syrup products are cheaper than real fresh corn. I have more sources I can cite on request but they're more beefier than these quick articles.

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

http://stateofobesity.org/disparities/blacks/
>>
>>410111
"Makes you fat" is the reason people ate them for millenia. For millenia, food that was rich in calories was great, because you needed that whenever you could get it.

Bread was fucking fantastic because it's so cheap to get 2,000 calories worth of bread and butter in a day compared to 2,000 calories of meat.

But that's based on the notion of never having enough. It's not what you should be eating for limiting your caloric intake.

>>410031
The biggest thing, more than diet, is when society transitioned to the point where walking became a privileged, and automotive or extensive public transportation became the expected norm.

That kicked in for America first, because of relative wealth and no WWII fuckery, but it's happening everywhere else as well.

Modern economies basically demand that humans be interchangeable, highly mobile labor-consumer units that should spend as little time engaged in eating and moving as possible.
>>
>>410120
>>410148
What a time to be alive, friends.
>>
>>410031
Rome and Britain were both the fattest country on earth at the height of their power. It's a trend in all great empires.
>>
Industry and slavery bans means you have to use food additives to compete in the market. These vary from insectides, to shelf preservatives, to flavorings, and even to growth hormones on livestock. This results in a hella lot of cancer for Americans.

I'd like to mention that 500 American die every day, and that's twice as many americans that died in the entire third gulf war.
>>
>>410657

That's not really accurate. Cancer rates in the US are about average compared to peer countries. Denmark in particular has 38 more cases per 100,000, which makes it the highest in the world by a huge margin.

I'd like to mention that 500 American die every day

I don't see how that's relevant without factoring in the raw death rate of the population.
>>
>>410201
Liking overweight men is a sign that you're gay tbqh
>>
>>410657
>>411365
300 or even 200 years ago cancer was extremely rare. Now it's one of the most common causes of death.
>>
>>411886
Crazy how increased deaths from cancer also trends with higher life expectancy. I wonder why?
>>
>>411927
I don't think one causes another. People are getting cancer in their 50s and 60s. In the past people could live to be 70 and it was still something that didn't happen.
>>
Like a lot of America's problems, obesity stems from the dislocation of our working class by deindustrialization and specialization, especially black and Hispanic communities. Also, nobody cooks their own fucking meals any more, and nobody gets any fucking exercise.
>>
>>411927
1. Its not the only factor in life expectancy
2. Reduced patgogen exposure
3. 1 again.
>>
>>411365
Fyi, nearly all countries use these chemicals now. But outside of large cities the exposure us worse. I hate to recomend this but watch the recent south parj episodes about whole foods.
>>
>>411975
The thing is, nobody CAN get exercise anymore. Our ancestors didn't exercise because they fucking loved it, but because there was plenty of availability, and it was normally incorporated into our days.
>>
>>411998
There's a reason obesity is mostly a disease of lower incomes.

If you have the time and resources to think about your food, and figure out how to exercise, you can maintain a healthy weight.

>tfw gained 50 pounds in the year after my mother died
>>
government subsidies for wheat, soy, corn, diary, and beef.

suburban/urban planning that has made walking around to do things harder or impossible.

tv/internet/video games reducing physical leisure activities.

processed food that is cheap, calorie dense and nutrient poor. causing people to over eat to feel full.

fat free food craze. remove natural healthy fats and then replace with corn syrup to keep people eating it.

artificial sweeteners only make you hungrier and screw with your metabolism.
>>
>>411998
>The thing is, nobody CAN get exercise anymore.

Uh what?

>and it was normally incorporated into our days

You can still incorporate it into your day.It may be a personal decision instead of a necessity but considering what an impact is has on your health it's pretty close to be necessary if you want to live a full life.
>>
>>412001
The thing that galls me about that is, that's still a fucking lifestyle tax.

That's still "Spend a couple hundred bucks a month, and put in dozens of hours of labor, to achieve a thing that used to be absolutely free."

And no one even acknowledges it.
>>
>>412021
You don't need a gym or a fancy diet and supplements to stay in shape, pleb. You can stay in shape for no price other than a time commitment.
>>
>>412021
Well yeah.

The secret is probably pedestrian friendly cities, and collectively telling the women of America to get back in the fucking kitchen.
>>
>>412028
Even putting that unreasonable expectation on people, that's still a labor tax on you. That actually adds up to more value then a few hundred dollars a month.

>>412031
The problem isn't telling women to get back in the kitchen. Because first of all, men can also do this. The problem is that as a society, we now have pushed men and women out of the kitchen.

Once we got all this 'wonderful' infrastructure in place that made two people in the same household working 8+ hours a day possible, shit yeah we built everything around the assumption you'd do that.

If, if, you are one of the few men in America who can afford your own place, and support another person securely in his 20s, you will not lack for women who want to be barefoot in the kitchen for you.
>>
It's because American drive everywhere
>>
>>412069
this desu. there's a lot of places where it's a bloody nightmare to get around by walking.

There's so many factors deciding upon this but one ought to not forget utban planning and cultural factors.
>>
>>412086
I'm a Dutchfag and when I visited the US it's probably what shocked me the most, everything is so far away from everything else. The good side is everyone get's a big house but it is a bit dehumanising not to be able to get around by moving. I was missing those endorphins from physical activity desu
>>
>>410111
>People have been eating grain for millennia

> Implying 10 millennia of farming is more significant than 200+ millennia of adaptation to a hunter gatherer lifestyle
>>
>>410031
burgers
>>
>>410071
>Grains are as bad as pure sugar
If that was true asian countries would be among the fattest in the world
>inb4 they are to poor to afford enough food
I'm sure Japanese cat eat rice to their heart's content and they aren't fat.
>>
>>410031
You realize Mexico has been the most obese country since 2013 right? You are also aware that the UK, Australia and most of Western Europe isn't much better on top of that.
>>
>>410637
>Grain makes you fat
I call bullshit. People aren't really meant to be fat. You need to fuck up you diet in some way to become fat, not just have access to more nutritional food than you need.

There are plenty of populations that had grains as their staple diet and didn't become fat. Here's a personal anecdote. My grandparents were farmers in late USSR. Most what they ate were potatoes and grains and they always had plenty of both. There wasn't even one overweight person in the village younger than 60.
>>
>>411365
Cancer rate is probably very dependant on the age of the population and the quality of medicine.
>>
>>410120
Well your just one lucky bastard aren`t you. Try wanting a fit gf, with actual muscles like fitness models in this country. I've only met six.
>>
The main issue of weight gain and causes for obesity are due to increasingly ever present sedentary life-styles in urban and sub-urban environments.

I'm almost certain the reason why it affects America/United States more severely then any individual European nation for example is due to the fact that Americans generally do not physically commute as much and live more sedentary life-styles.
>>
>>412864
>Well your just one lucky bastard aren`t you.
You know, you're the first person in all my years to acknowledge it's a pretty sweet fetish to have, as far as things go.
>>
>>412888
Wait

Are you into chubby/fat girls or one of those people have weight gain/feederism fetish specifically?
>>
>>412765
Asian countries also make far more use of public transportation than Western countries. In Tokyo, you can't walk to and from the shinkansen without walking up and down tons of stairs. Somewhat similar case with the French.
>>
1980s desu

> Americans decide they want less fat
> Fat in products gets replaced by sugar
> Fast food companies begin giving more food for the same size
> Mobilization of entire workforce means Americans eating more fast food

Of course I'm talking out my ass and have no sources for this.
>>
>>412920
Speaking of Japan, the advent of fast food chain franchises is at least causing a rise in the average bust size in women apparently.
>>
>>412888
Well if your making it, for yourself, your making it I guess. Hunts still on for me. Last two I met was a only slightly older chick into BJJ and a fit singer
>>
>>410103
Proud Hoosier reporting in. Have you had your McDonald's yet today, /his/?
>>
>>410031
>How did Americans get so fat /his/? When did it begin?

Agricapitalism.

1960s.
>>
>>412095
Walks in the woods are better anyway, imo.

>Why Americans so fat?
1. Rise of Fast Food, decline of home-cooked meals

2. In rural areas, there used to be a shitton of farmers. Farmers ate a lot of food because the work was labor-intensive. Farmers got old, retired, continued to eat shittons of food, got fat quick.

3. Rise of mass media and home activities basically meant that a person never had to go outside to socialize or could substitute human interaction with television.

4. Aging population. Surprise, arthritis, osteoporosis, etc. makes you not want to move very much!
>>
>>410103
Jesus that's a depressing image.
>>
I'm American, but I live in Southern California. I'm pretty sure people here are a bit leaner because people get noticeably bigger when I go to the South. And these are the same people who constantly go on about "muh citizen militia defense corps for when da Chinks/Muslims attack!!" How will these fatasses kill anyone when they can barely run a mile without dying?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.