[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which country has the most boring history? I'm talking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13
File: flag_template_colour.gif (22 KB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
flag_template_colour.gif
22 KB, 1000x512
Which country has the most boring history? I'm talking about sizeable countries, not meme non-countries like Barbados or Liechtenstein or whatever.

Pic very much related.
>>
The USA
>>
Australia's history is only boring because 90% of Australian history taught to Australians focuses on the exploits and misfortunes of aboriginals.
>>
Australian history has a few interesting events like the Eureka rebellion, but it's pretty dull otherwise.

It's weird how New Zealand has such a vastly interesting colonial period whilst Australia doesn't. Is it due to the Maori just being far better at resisting/dealing with Europeans than aboriginals?
>>
China is actually boring as fuck. Full of stuff and long no doubt but just awfully boring.
>>
>>23084
>Is it due to the Maori just being far better at resisting/dealing with Europeans than aboriginals?
Yes
>>
>>23010
We're not Canada.
>>
>>23083
Because that's literally all the happened.
>>
>>23127
*that
>>
File: army-museum-61.jpg (96 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
army-museum-61.jpg
96 KB, 640x426
>>23084
>It's weird how New Zealand has such a vastly interesting colonial period whilst Australia doesn't

It's a shame that it's mostly glossed over in school with "the white devils stole their land because reasons, Treaty of Waitangi"
>>
>>23084
>>23112
It's also one of the reasons why New Zealand didn't become a state of Australia in 1901. They didn't want the Australians to screw over the Maori like they did with the Aborigines.
>>
>>23086
That's objectively not true though. China has an amazing history from antiquity all the way up to the modern era
>>
>>23147
I'm glad I had an excellent high school teacher. For the final year of history we studied events from the United Tribes to the Invasion of the Waikato in depth, and we even traveled by bus to a lot of the battlefields. Gained a deep appreciation for early NZ history because of it, when I had dismissed it before.
>>
Australia having a "boring" history isn't necessarily a bad thing to be honest. The fact that we haven't had much conflict or political upheaval shows that Australia is one of the safest and most stable places on earth.
>>
File: mansleepingonbooksopt.jpg (19 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
mansleepingonbooksopt.jpg
19 KB, 480x319
>>23235
Lucky cunt.

I did history in Year 11 and it was
>Civil Rights in the US
>New Zealand's Search for Security (1945-1990)
>The Road to War, Europe 1919 - 1939
>mfw
>>
File: 1831-letter-from-chiefs-to-king.png (519 KB, 1014x1063) Image search: [Google]
1831-letter-from-chiefs-to-king.png
519 KB, 1014x1063
>I'll never hate the french as much as the United Tribes did

feels bad man
>>
Australia has a boring history, but it is interesting enough.
>Gold rush
>Hulks
>Race wars
>Eureka stockade
>Rebels
But I kind of wish we were more like New Zealand
>everything in Australia but Eureka Stockade
>Maoris actually beat England.
>>
>>23163
Yeah, funnily enough the Australians tried winning us over by giving the Maori voting rights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maori_voting_rights_in_Australia
>>
>>22984
greenland?
>>
>>23083
This.
It's shocking the amount of history is unknown to Aussie kids because of the continuous dawdling on the Aboriginals. It's actually a quick way to get a laugh from a student to ask about how much time we can go over the different ways the Aboriginals were fucked over.

Meanwhile Kokoda, Tobruk, Long Tan, Eureka Stockade etc

NOONE KNOWS WHO FUCKING BURKE AND WILLS IS
>>
>>23356
Not a country, it's part of Denmark,
>>
>>23328
They teach NZ history in Australia? Whenever I've visited Australia, the only things I've seen that mention NZ are occasional goofy news items.
>>
Thailand.
They never got colonialism at all. Today is just like their old one.
>>
>>23460
Maybe he learnt NZ history in his own time?
>>
>>23494
you mean someone on /his/ actually knows something about history
>>
The funniest thing about Australia history being focused on the abos is that, because of PC, they don't even teach you the good stuff.
Like how the abos used to raid the goldfields and take miners and hang the upside down by the legs in trees for days then eat them.

>yfw they thought chinks tasted the best too
>>
>>23653
>>yfw they thought chinks tasted the best too

But did they feel hungry again an hour later?
>>
Canada
>>
Memes aside, the stolen generation is actually a really interesting historical topic.

t. non australian
>>
>>23653
From my experience and what I've heard from others, history teachers in HS don't focus on the bloody massacres committed by either side. The aboriginals certainly fought back against the white man taking their land, often violently and viciously, no doubt about that. The creator of Australian rules football had his family slaughtered by the indigenous people.

My high school history class was very light on in terms of Australian history. We were given a very eurocentric account of Australia's "discovery" and colonisation, but far more time was spent going over the World Wars.
>>
>>23290
Except for the dropbears
>>
>>22984
its army has a pretty interesting history though participating in a fuck ton of wars
>boer war
>ww1
>russian civil war
>great emu war
>ww2
>Malayan emergancy
>indonesian confrontation
>vietnam war
>gulf war
>iraq war
>afganistan

they performed pretty well in all but the great emu war and gallipoli
>>
>>23290
Will be interesting to see if Australia is able to continue being a white nation part of the anglosphere.
>>
>>23880
We're just good at following white great powers into conflict.
>>
>>23883
We'll stay part of the anglosphere, but being white won't be as big of a part of our identity in future
>>
>>23297
>The Road to War, Europe

Lucky bastard. I didn't really learn anything about WWII Germany or Russia at school. It was all sort-of sidestepped, while a lot of the other classes got to learn about it.

I didn't even know what Auschwitz, Sobibor and Treblinka were when I saw their names on the student-made posters on the wall of my Social Studies classroom. I learned about them from Google, Wikipedia and BBC documentaries.

I learned about the battle of Stalingrad etc. from Call of Duty: World at War, Enemy at the Gate, and Wikipedia.

Annoyed the hell out of me. Even the Maori Battalion's participation in the war in Africa against Italy and Germany was skipped.

Meanwhile,
>Rosa Parks
>Martin Luther King
>Roots and Kunta Kinte
>Slave Ships
>Rabbit Proof Fence and the Abbos
>>
>>22984
Argentina has a pretty boring history.
>>
Wouldn't New Zealand have a more boring history than Australia? What the fuck have they done?
>>
>>23788
>far more time was spent on the World Wars
lucky bastard.
I learnt 'Australian' history in years 5, 6 and 7.
Obviously, it was all more or less the same shit every time.
>>23712
too bad the stolen generation doesn't actually exist, at least, not in the 'muh sorry day' sense.
>>
>>22984
>boring history
not really its just that the population has forgotten because of the educations bonner for abos
>>
Australian history is so short it's not a fair comparison with anywhere else.
>>
>>22984
Definitely those Canadian cunts
>>
>>23699
Canadian history is extremely interesting IMO up to Confederation, and even after that there's still some drama about where the border with the US will lie.
>>
>>22984
Yeah even as an Aussie I have to agree on that ours is one the lesser histories.>>23127
at least america or newzeland's natives fought back abos were fucking shit. There's some cool shit I have a book on eureka that's been sitting in my thunderbox for ages but largely Australia is just a really really successful colony
>>
>>23174
weeaboo
>>
>>24082
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Waikato

Maori made things interesting, as opposed to the Aboriginals who rolled over and died.
>>
File: BEST.png (46 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
BEST.png
46 KB, 1280x640
>>23883
here's hoping
>>
>>24131
>so short

>50,000 years of aboriginal settlement
>>
>>24259
Australia didn't exist before da white man found it.
>>
>>24259
And yet still they were stone age when the euros showed up. Should have pulled finger and done something sooner.
>>
>>24287
New Zealand's is even shorter yet is more interesting.
>>
>>23937
We're a colony what the fuck do you expect
>>
>>24323
Were we colonised by the US?
>>
>>24082
The Māori actually put up a decent fight against the White Man, and so they had to be bargained with for the land. Thus, the Treaty of Waitangi was written.

They also have different tribes of Māori around NZ, some of whom battled eachother. One such tribe that actually got eaten was that of the Moriori, which many people consider to be a different race, but this is disputed these days.

Fun fact: When Abel Tasman landed in NZ, at the top of the South Island, conflict was started from the Māori against his crew, and some of his crew were killed, only to have their corpses dragged off an eaten. The Māori believed that by eating their opponents, they thus gained their Mana, or their essence/spirit.

Tasman named the bay he landed in "Murderers bay", however these days it's known as Golden Bay. It's up near the city Nelson.
>>
>Dutch explorer Abel Tasman anchored 7 km out from in this bay in 1642, and in a bloody encounter, Ngati Tumatakokiri rammed the Dutch ship's boat with a waka and killed 4 Dutch seamen - for which Tasman named it Moordenaar's Bay (Murderers Bay).

That's how New Zealand colonial history started, it's no surprise the country was a warzone for most of the 19th century.
>>
>>24384
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CltZG7Cw0eo
>>
>>22984
As an Aussie I can 100% agree. As far as history goes Australia's is boring as shit, just a bunch of successful and peaceful colonies mixed in with casual racism and native genocide.
>>
>>24404
Why were the Maori so much different than the Aboriginals?
You could argue Governor Macquarie did a lot to smooth over the tense farmer-aboriginal peace, but over in New Zealand it was on the moment the British hadn't even sailed fully in yet.
>>
>>24866
Our colonial history is full of fun anecdotes and stories, but as you and everyone says, pretty peaceful for the British settlers.

It's why the wars are so important to us, nothing fucking happens over here, so lets have a go at it over there!
>>
>>24890
Completely different race and culture, really. The only reason they're compared is due to geography, but really they're about as similar as Arabs and Sub Saharan Africans.
>>
>>24063
Australia and Argentina are both pretty similar.
Both have a large Italian and Jewish population, have recently had a mining boom (less so argentina), the north of both is the worst parts, both absoluley massacred the natives and both a mostly white with a large left/worker population that like being conservative.
>>
We had the Rum rebellion
The eureka stockade
Federation
Involvement in other peoples war
The dismissal of the Whitlam government
>>
>>25037
I remember reading somewhere that during the depression a group of fascists called New guard were planning a coup against Jack lang and the NSW government.
>>
>>22984
I wouldn't say Australia's history is boring, it's pretty colorful really. It just lacks the self important and grandiose portrait that European history paints for itself.
>>
>>23382
As a 25 year old, Kokoda is the only one of those I was taught about. We didn't spend much time on abos though, mostly it was WW2 instead.
>>
>>23348
Before we gave them to abos by more than 50 years
>also abos are sub-human
>>
>>22984
What about Romania? I can't think of anything remotely interesting or relevant that happened in Romania other than Dracula and the overthrow of Ceausescu.
>>
>>25520
Uh, does the roman empire not ring a bell?
>>
>>25582
....are you memeing?
>>
>>25520
But those are two super interesting and momentous events, which is two more than Australia.
>>
>>23883
>literally the most anglo country in the world
>>
>>25679
How? Vlad was just an ordinary despot and the fall of Ceausescu mirrored the fall of communism throughout Europe.
>>
>>24890
They weren't really.

Kiwis are just fucking shit at genocide
>>
>>22984
Kazakhstan
Saudi Arabia
Malaysia
Burma
Sudan
Nigeria

There's plenty of countries which have an even more boring history.
>>
>>25077
They were. They also rode on horses and cut the ribbon for the sydney harbour bridge with a cavalry saber
>>
>>23880
don't forget the beautiful Emu War!
>>
>>23083
I was taught literally none of our efforts in WWI and II. Fuck Australia.
>>
>>25775
>Kazakhstan

Not boring. Just not a lot of history in english about it.
>>
>>23083

Honestly, Australian frontier violence is pretty much a great way to teach and understand historiography and synthesise primary and secondary sources.

It's just when you get shitty English teachers parroting half-remembered Arts tutes yet aren't basically making kids read their Broome, Reynolds et al and getting an understanding for the nuance.

The Howard-era history wars kind of made some teachers a little too over-enthusiastic even if Australian history.

>>23382

Kokoda is irritating because it's basically built on the bullshit ANZAC legend as a sequel.

Fact is Australia's efforts in WWII were a bit irrelevant outside of basically being an American aircraft carrier - and I'm very much convinced by Peter Stanley tearing apart the idea of the "Battle for Australia" and everyones notion of Japanese plans to make white people carry rickshaws on the streets of Meruberin and Shiruni.

Oh but muh Darwin. Muh mini subs. Fark off.

>>24202

If it's Peter FitzSimons book it's shit. Australian pop history written by rugby players is just cancerous.

>>24929

What you really should say - is it was peaceful in the main colonial settlements. The frontiers of the colonies though were terrifying. Even at times needlessly so.

>>23484

Why don't the Japs ever count in these things?

>>25077

The New Guard and proto-fascist movements like Australia are pretty interesting. As was Lang of course.

>>23460

Latter-day NZ political history with Rogernomics does crop up in discussion of Hawke/Keating and "economic rationalism".
>>
Reminder that Australia's development under a Washminster system as a young Western nation is genuinely very interesting.

>caring about pre-settlement Australia
wew lad, Aborigines hadn't even 'discovered' the wheel.
>>
>>25032
>absolutely massacred the natives
While true in some places, it's got to be noted that Australia is fucking big; this wasn't the case in South or North Australia, nor was it (to quite the same extent) in Queensland or Victoria. It was much more an NSW-Tasmania thing, but everybody treats NSW history as the stem of all the rest of Australian history.
>>
Australia, as a country, is only a century old.
What do you expect? We have a few interesting moments, but there's just not much there.

I would argue, though, that American history is worse on the basis that they had so much more time and they still didn't produce anything interesting.
>>
>>22984
Pretty much all of Africa follows a timeline of mud huts, mud huts, mud huts, colonisation, back to mud huts again
>>
>>24259
By definition, history refers to records. The aboriginals didn't record anything; they dreamt up mythologies and drew influence from the past to invent stories, but that's not record.
>>
File: safe.jpg (38 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
safe.jpg
38 KB, 500x323
>>23290
>Australia
>safe and stable
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane

a classic
>>
>>23163
Imagine being founded as the 'South Pacific Coalition' instead.
>>
File: feelfrog.png (397 KB, 438x498) Image search: [Google]
feelfrog.png
397 KB, 438x498
>"please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago."
>tfw allowed to start a thread on your footy team's last premiership
>>
Poland. Whole history of being beaten the shit out of them either by Germans or Russians.
>>
>>23382
Everyone knows who Burke and Wills are and those who claim they don't have just forgot because it is the most boring thing in all of history.
>>
>>28370
St. Kilda m8?
>>
>>23653
>>yfw they thought chinks tasted the best too
Whites were apparently a bit too salty for their tastes
>>
>>28250
>see a spider in Australia
>don't go near it

This is how we have millions of people living here. Its not that hard.
>>
Emu war cunts
>>
>>26038
>Gallipoli
>I was taught literally none of our efforts in WWI
>>
>>28050
America's Civil War is kind of interesting. At least, more interesting than what we have to offer historically in Australia.
>>
>>28477
Tigers.
>>
>>23788
My history classes were always 'how many ways can we talk about Gallipoli without actually saying anything'. Every goddamn year.
>>
>be in school in Australia
>be from Europe
>history class
>get excited because ever since I was little I loved reading about the Romans and ancient greeks
>spend weeks learning about dot paintings and shit niggers threw on caves
>get quizzed and tested on what dot paintings actually mean
>spend 1 week on world war 1 (see Gallipoli) and nothing of WW2

Truly the worst of times
>>
>>22984
Do you even fuckin' Eureka stockade?
>>
File: manifest destiny.jpg (61 KB, 494x322) Image search: [Google]
manifest destiny.jpg
61 KB, 494x322
>>28050
American westward expansion, manifest destiny, the guano act, and gunboat diplomacy is pretty interesting.
>>
>>22984
Vatican City
The Republic of Ireland
>>
>>30492
Not to mention how they turned the tides of both world wars and helped hold back the doom of Communism, it's not so much how much they did but WHAT they did.

It's like. Thanks, America, for not letting me grow up in a bizarre Nazi-Communist-Japanese world.
I mean that's a dramatization of it, but whatever, I'm Australian, what've we got.
>>
>>22984
>Pic very much related.
Connell & Irving, Class structure in Australian History, 2nd Ed.
>>
>>28050
the dominant empire on earth today was founded on the ideals of anti-imperialism
pretty interesting chain of events lead to that.
>>
File: china pls go.jpg (1 MB, 1408x1448) Image search: [Google]
china pls go.jpg
1 MB, 1408x1448
Australian history is not dull but can be boring. Its mostly overlooked because a lot of what was happening is complex and needs a wider understanding of the culture at the time.

Most of pre-federation was colonial squabbling and British Empire being cunts. I mean Boer wars, China and all that require a fair bit of prior knowledge to fully understand, the politics are pretty unique too with left-wing progressive nationalists (Even Lenin was perplexed by this) and other such strange things like race wars (Scots vs Welsh vs English vs Chinese free for alls at the mines). It all needs to be backed up and looked into deeply to get a full understanding, its much easier to pick out a few events and dust your hands off. Its why we basically go Cook, Abo genocides, Eureka stockade, WW2.
>>
>>31462
Yep, love me those Stolen Generations and Sorry Day.

Wonder if there's any Aborigines that'll show up on the board someday, will bring a whole new perspective to everything. The world's funny that way.
>>
>>30492
>manifest destiny
What is this?
>>
>>31699
>Wonder if there's any Aborigines that'll show up on the board someday
actual Native here, I don't really care much for history though, just checking out the new board
>>
the emu war's pretty fun tbqh
>>
File: Nice try m8.png (50 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Nice try m8.png
50 KB, 200x200
>>25520
>>
File: USA_Territorial_Growth_1850.jpg (124 KB, 1400x616) Image search: [Google]
USA_Territorial_Growth_1850.jpg
124 KB, 1400x616
>>32406
A belief held by the Americans that they were destined to expand throughout North America and the world, and that the American people were special.
>>
Canada, it's ridiculously boring to most people. I'm Canadian and anything past War of 1812 for British North America is boring as fuck.
>>
>>23083
australia is boring because it doesnt have a fucking history. 200 years is nothing.
>in b4 muh dreamtime
>>
>>24083
>Stolen Generation doesn't exist
How do you mean?
>>
>>23086
Clearly never studied Chinese history. You just can't be fucked because everyone has funny names to you
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.