[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using the Internet to get a true (and free)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 246x171) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 246x171
For most of the medieval era and even up until recent centuries in elite eduction, the standard model was the so-called "Trivium et Quadrivium": the study of three foundational subjects (trivium) followed by four additional subjects (quadrivium).

This was the international "gold standard" basis for what made up a well-educated classical learned man in the Western tradition.

From wiki:
"The Trivium is a systematic method of critical thinking used to derive factual certainty from information perceived with the traditional five senses: sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell. In the medieval university, the trivium was the lower division of the seven liberal arts, and comprised grammar, logic, and rhetoric (input, process and output).

Etymologically, the Latin word trivium means "the place where three roads meet" (tri + via); hence, the subjects of the trivium are the foundation for the quadrivium, the upper division of the medieval education in the liberal arts, which comprised Arithmetic (number), Geometry (number in space), Music (number in time), and Astronomy (number in space and time). Educationally, the trivium and the quadrivium imparted to the student the seven liberal arts of Classical antiquity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrivium
(Con't below)
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 500x290
(Con't from above)
The original meaning of "Liberal Arts" stems from the trivium and quadrivium – they were studied by "free men" (the literal meaning of "liberal"), and thus were considered a higher form of education than that aimed at a purely practical end, which would be studied by a bondsman or tradesman of lower social standing.

Of course, these days the "liberal arts" as currently construed have largely become a snakepit of leftism and degeneracy, and generally worthless both intrinsically and compared to a practical STEM degree.

Nevertheless, thanks to the magic of the interwebs, we can reconstruct the trivium and quadrivium in all its original glory. I hope this thread can serve as a resource for doing just that.

2 good places to start: this guy has put together a website with tons of resources (including audio and video). Lots of free links:
http://www.triviumeducation.com

And then there is archive.org, where one can find most of the "great books" of clasical times online in English and their original languages:
http://www.archive.org

There is also Project Gutenberg, chock full of classical goodness:
http://www.gutenberg.org

All other resources, links, etc. are welcome and encouraged.
>>
Because a classical education having a worthwhile value is something that could not happen to me bar myself becoming spooked
>>
Meh. Bump.
>>
>>409328
You want to suggest some instead of shit posting?
>>
File: br00tal.png (115 KB, 488x228) Image search: [Google]
br00tal.png
115 KB, 488x228
>>408011
I think Rhetoric would be cool to learn but I wouldn't know where to start. Other than that, I've picked up reading most of the major "Classics" of the western canon through liberal arts courses throughout my schooling.

>mfw reading the Iliad in 7th grade
>>
>>408011
Because I study Classics at University.
>>
>>409768
Our English teacher had us read the Iliad and Odyssey in 7th grade. It was fucking epic.
>>
>>409780
Which university?
>>
>>409768
Rhetoric is everywhere.
Satire is rhetoric, albeit pleb-tier.
>>
>>408011
This seems like something that would only appeal to those with a fetish for medievals. How is this incorrect?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.