[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /his/ I want to learn more about history, but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
Sup /his/

I want to learn more about history, but I don't have time in my class schedule to take history classes. What are some essential books to better understand history?

I read this for a political development class and thought it was really good. I've also read David Landes's The Wealth and Poverty of Nations. I want to learn more about Middle Eastern, Russian, and Byzantine history.

Pic related, it's the book
>>
>>405934
>What are some essential books to better understand history?
Get four or five historiography texts aimed at masters students.
>>
Two books I can Reccomend

Animal Farm: It's basically a story that represents Stalins Russia and communism, but on a farm with pigs and the such. It may sound stupid but it's an amazing book (this one will probably come up a bit on this thread since most people have had to read it 1-3 times in school)

Man in the high castle: This one is alternate history of the Nazis conquering America in WWII. There's a lot of different characters and plot points but it mainly focuses on the division of America between Japan and Germany and a different world. It may not be ideal since its alternate but it gives you a lot of information and education of the Nazis as a whole
>>
>>405934
Read memoirs and other primary texts written by people in your times and places of interest. No amount of interpretation and survey will drive home the realities of former times in the same way.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 326x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 326x499
>>405934
war and peace and war the rise and fall of empires.
It's awesome as fuck and touches on everything you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 300x457) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 300x457
>>406859
Seconding that.
Also this book by the same author
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 364x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 364x550
>>406859
>>406862
The biological school of history is nice.
Spengler is the best one desu, even after a century
>>
>>406859
>>406862
>Turchin
Where have you guys been, can we have cliodynamics threads now
>>
>>406882
I'm banned from making threads after I posted pictures of /Cgl/ whores on r9k
>>
>>406815
>it gives you a lot of information and education of the Nazis as a whole

Are you a teenager? Because that's about theonly excuse I could find for you.
>>
>>405934
>Byzantine history
Google for "Ken Harl Byzantium" and thou shalt be delivered.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.